rllmuk
neoELITE

EFL League 1, League 2, National League and Beyond 2019/20 Season

My Team Will....  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Windy as fuck yesterday in North Wales and Wrexham and Dagenham both struggled with it creating very few chances. A scrappy and frustrating one to watch and the only time this season I've misjudged the potential temperature before leaving the house and ended up freezing cold. 

0-0  

• Upvote 1

Oxford were really unlucky. Some great goals to take it into extra time. Given Newcastle spent something like £60m on their front three, it was a great second half performance and I was impressed with the fitness levels. A cracking volley to take it to 2-2.

We went out in the most annoying way against Birmingham. As the better team we concede an equaliser in the 92nd minute, take the lead in extra time and concede on 120, then lose on penalties. Concentrating on the league this year, didn't want to play Leicester anyway etc

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Oxford were really unlucky. Some great goals to take it into extra time. Given Newcastle spent something like £60m on their front three, it was a great second half performance and I was impressed with the fitness levels. A cracking volley to take it to 2-2.

Yeah it was a great night even though we lost in the end, pushed a Premier League team, who weren't fielding a youth side, right to the end. Saint-Maximin looked dangerous in the first leg despite getting a load of stick from their fans afterwards, and even though his decision making was a bit dodgy I thought that one of his efforts was going to go in eventually. Can't begrudge him it though, no-one was really at fault, just a great finish.

Oh well, had a cracking night out in Newcastle in the first leg and a great evening last night, we get a bit of a payday which is probably peanuts to a prem club but is not to be sniffed at for a club our size.

In a way I'm relieved as our league form was suffering a bit and play offs is the target this year. Lost two of our best players in the window, Baptiste and Fosu, to Brentford which is annoying but again a club like ours has to sell to survive unfortunately. Good luck to them both, hopefully they go on to better things. Got some tough games coming up against Posh, Sunderland, and Ipswich this month which will probably decide how far we go.

Whether we make the play offs or not this year it's been the best season I can remember for a long time and I'm just enjoying the ride whilst it lasts.

• Upvote 3

9 successive league wins in a row now for Portsmouth, which is a club record. We are looking very good right now and beat Tranmere comfortably today.

What's also pleasing is that we're not conceding much either. That's three clean sheets in a row as well.

The thing is, most of the Top 6 are in good form too so I really can't guess how the season's going to finish and who is going to end up automatically promoted. Both ourselves and Coventry are in a good position because we have games in hand on the Top 2. We're also starting to put some daylight between 6th and 7th.

I guess it's a case of who blinks first.

Bagging a winner in the 97th minute today feels like a massive moment for Crewe’s promotion push. Delighted they managed to pull it out of the bag given Plymouth’s poor result (sorry, @neoELITE) but next week’s game at Home Park looks like a key one for both teams.

Being a Cornwall-based Crewe fan, I’ve been looking forward to this one for ages. Except now I’m going to be on an FA coaching course next Saturday and will have to miss the game. Gutted! I can’t make the midweek game at Exeter in a few weeks either, which is doubly frustrating.

• Upvote 1

Bah. Shit one @Billy Brown the last time I remember Crewe at home, you'd lost about fifteen games in a row. Dean Ashton handed us a whooping.

We got a hammering today. Can't really moan. Our results have been great.

Yeah, Ashton was an absolute beast on his day.

How’s Luke Jephcott getting on after his initial goal frenzy? Was brilliant to see him go back and make an impact. I’ve met him a couple of times as he went to the same development centre my boy is at and he comes back to give out awards at the end of the season. Seems like a lovely guy. 

I hope at the very least that next week’s game will be a closer affair than on the opening day of the season.

A shit result for us against Chesterfield away on Saturday where Wrexham were twice in the lead, but ended up losing 3-2 to the last kick of the game.

We are unbeaten against the top 7 in the league, but consistently struggle against the sides fighting relegation. It's fucking weird. If Fylde, who are 3rd from bottom with games in hand, pick themselves up, which I think they could well do, I expect teams to require an unusual amount of points to stay up this season.

We really could do with a win against Torquay on Saturday.

Proper big game tonight hosting Portsmouth, both of us 5/6 points off the top with two games in hand on Rotherham. I'd hope to win all the home games but with Portsmouth's form I wouldn't be too upset with a draw. More of a can't-lose than a must-win, a defeat could go some to derailing us particularly when we've got a run coming up of games against Rotherham, Sunderland and Ipswich in the space of 10 days.

All of the top four in League 2 win. Crewe with a 90th minute winner, us with a 92nd minute winner. Exeter thumping ten man Oldham and Swindon win at Northampton. There's a gap developing now between 4th and 5th. 

Us Vs Crewe on Saturday is a big game.

Just back from the Exeter game. 5-1. Blimey. Not often you can sit back and relax when watching Exeter!

13 hours ago, wullie said:

Proper big game tonight hosting Portsmouth, both of us 5/6 points off the top with two games in hand on Rotherham. I'd hope to win all the home games but with Portsmouth's form I wouldn't be too upset with a draw. More of a can't-lose than a must-win, a defeat could go some to derailing us particularly when we've got a run coming up of games against Rotherham, Sunderland and Ipswich in the space of 10 days.

Well done for beating us. I had a feeling we would come unstuck tonight and we did, albeit from a late goal. Sometimes records have a habit of making players a little too self conscious.

I don't think we played very well either. Sometimes we have a habit of going too direct when teams manage to nullify us defensively. I know we're not the only L1 team to do that but it's important to stick to the basics and remember we got into this position by playing a good solid passing game with patient attacking play.

Still, that's only our third defeat in about 24 games so it's no biggie. Just as long as we can bounce back from it and stay in touch with the top 6. The games in hand will prove crucial as well.

Wycombe are wobbly (but safe) but I think Peterborough are capable of automatic promotion from League 1 and Rotherham are a yo-yo club so Portsmouth, Ipswich and Coventry might end up in the play offs with Wycombe, Sunderland, Fleetwood or Doncaster. Nobody wants to play Wycombe twice in a week! Hopefully, they're done.

League 1 is tight though. Stevenage looked doomed. Morecambe have crept away under Derek Adams but Macclesfield might end up with a points deduction.

It's getting exciting in the lower leagues.

Our winner last night was some goal. :omg:

Attendance was 2297 at Salford. 1005 Argyle fans. 

• Upvote 1

Lucky today. Crewe missed an open goal :lol: the guy was celebrating as he shanked it wide. 2-1 in a hurricane. The wind was horrendous and in row T, I got wet.

We've got Macclesfield on Tuesday. A lot of our fans have it as a banker. I disagree.

@El Pibe a six point Devon derby coming soon.

8 hours ago, neoELITE said:

We've got Macclesfield on Tuesday. A lot of our fans have it as a banker. I disagree.

@El Pibe a six point Devon derby coming soon.

Yes. I think you'll better us. Gulp.

Wow, that Porter miss is an absolute shocker. Normally so reliable in front of goal.

The updates on Crewe’s Twitter made it seem like we were on top for a lot of the game and probably a bit unlucky (couple of penalty shouts, hitting the post at the death, etc.) but I realise there is likely bias at play there. How close was it really?

Still gutted I couldn’t make it along and devastated to lose it after going in front. When I saw the 1pm pitch inspection was happening I thought I was in luck with a postponement. 

On balance, we were lucky. Crewe should have been awarded a penalty. The conditions were atrocious though and although both sides tried to play, it was a lottery. It was quite even in terms of chances. 

The linesmen and ref were rubbish. Crewe should've had a red card. The linesman on my side missed the ball going out of play repeatedly and his interpretation of the offside rule was interesting. 

The Crewe manager wasn't happy but then, neither was anyone else.

I thought Crewe were good going forward but defensively poor. Having said that, the wind was terrible.

Cov's miss of the season competition is more hotly contested than our goal of the season one, but that Crewe one is an absolute beauty.

On 16/02/2020 at 06:48, El Pibe said:

Yes. I think you'll better us. Gulp.

The game has been moved to a Monday night because of Sky. 23rd March at 7.45. I expect a lot of people won't be able to go because of other commitments. 

All day drinking and a very dark park - I expect Devon and Cornwall Police won't be happy.

At one point Exeter were winning in the cup and Argyle losing. Life was good :lol:

11 hours ago, El Pibe said:

At one point Exeter were winning in the cup and Argyle losing. Life was good :lol:

I think you deserved to win to be honest. I have no idea how we won that tie. How often do teams score two in injury time..

It was a great finish (from a Pompey perspective). We did have most of the play I thought but the final ball just wasn't there. 

It certainly came alive after 78 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Coltrane said:

I think you deserved to win to be honest. I have no idea how we won that tie. How often do teams score two in injury time..

I think a lot of us have mixed feelings about it.

There's a part of me that thinks it might have been a distraction from the promotion push, but it's also a cup final and we don't reach many of those!

Either way, it was great to see such a young team, with so many changes from the league game, go toe-to-toe with Pompey. Bodes well for the future!

• Upvote 1