IGNORED

Your Favourite Ghibli Film (Poll)

Benny

What is your favourite Ghibli film? (You may pick one of each section if you wish)  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, Benny said:

Yamadas is one of the funniest films I've seen. Top tip: as excellent as all the current and redone Ghibli film dubs are, it's one of the few were I would argue it should only be watched in Japanese with subtitles, due to the subject matter.

I gave this a pos for the Yamadas comment, but I should also add that I firmly believe anyone who watches any Ghibli film dubbed into English should be facing a very long prison term, and that includes children.

26 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I voted for Mononoke, maybe because it was the first Ghibli I saw. I think it’s the one I get most excited at the prospect of sitting down to watch, maybe it’s the magical fantasy action element that tips my preference in its favour, seeing as I’m all about dat. 

But I could easily have voted for a few others. I think Kiki’s is a low-key favourite of mine, and I feel bad for the Wind Rises not having a vote yet. I only saw it once, in the cinema, but I remember it being incredible and very moving.

Kaguya got my Takahata vote. I love the look, feel and atmosphere of that film perhaps higher than any of the others, probably owing to its very distinctive, more experimental visual style. Incredible soundtrack as well, which is of course a given.

I haven’t seen many of the non-Miyazaki / Takahata films. No Cat Returns, Poppy Hill or Whisper of the Heart for me, I don’t think? Saw Arriety which I didn’t really rate, but did like Marnie a bit when I saw it.

On a Takahata tip, I haven’t seen the Yamadas. Might pop over to Fopp and see if I can plug a few gaps in my collection this afternoon :) 

Get these watched Cal! :quote:

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Get these watched Cal! :quote:

If it makes it any better, Tomato Convenience Store finally had Dandy Old Man available to buy on cassette yesterday in Shenmue. Made sure to snap it up with the swiftness. Tom’s stereo batteries got wrecked.

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

I gave this a pos for the Yamadas comment, but I should also add that I firmly believe anyone who watches any Ghibli film dubbed into English should be facing a very long prison term, and that includes children.

So here's the thing. I watched most in English years ago but 2 years ago I watched Your Name in Japanese and the emotion conveyed in the Japanese audio was about 1000x better than the English dub (which I checked out after). 

After that I decided that unless I was watching with the kids I would always watch Japanese animation in its native language with subs.

I do however think some of the English dubs are still really great Totoro, Howls and Kiki standout.

If it’s set in Japan I watch the original audio track. Set anywhere else I tend to watch the dubs. They’re generally really well done, and all animation is dubbed anyway so don’t see it as that bad a thing.

2 minutes ago, ZOK said:

There are some people who have only ever seen Akira as an English dub, so they think the experiment kids all have stupid voices.

Akira is set in Japan, so I’d watch the subtitled version. Something like Nausicaä or Mononke though suits English just as well. They often get really good actors doing the dubs.

I’m quite fond of the 80s Akira dub FWIW, given that’s what was on the VHS I wore to fuck back in the day. Kaneda is such a rad dude in it. Couldn’t be doing with the English dub on the DVD release onwards, so now it’s JPN audio all the way, at special cinema screenings and at home.

6 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I’m quite fond of the 80s Akira dub FWIW, given that’s what was on the VHS I wore to fuck back in the day. Kaneda is such a rad dude in it. Couldn’t be doing with the English dub on the DVD release onwards, so now it’s JPN audio all the way, at special cinema screenings and at home.

I've still got my VHS of Akira in the loft that I bought from Travelling Man in Nottingham in 2000, it's got two tapes in it, one of which is making of documentary. Never gonna part with it.

17 minutes ago, wev said:

I've still got my VHS of Akira in the loft that I bought from Travelling Man in Nottingham in 2000, it's got two tapes in it, one of which is making of documentary. Never gonna part with it.

Snap. I came across mine this week while having a clearout, and even though there's no conceivable reason to keep it I'll take it to the grave.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

Akira is set in Japan, so I’d watch the subtitled version. Something like Nausicaä or Mononke though suits English just as well. They often get really good actors doing the dubs.

Except it was written in Japanese, for Japanese people to act, and often with specific Japanese voices in mind.

If you can’t read subtitles it’s acceptable, but otherwise no. You make your own choices naturally, but I will never listen to a dub our of choice. What’s the point?

EDIT: Unless there is only a dub I guess, but does that even happen these days?

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

*Slowly raises hand*

Watch it again in with the subtitles if you can, those kids have a completely different nature because their voices jar against their old faces.

I've listened to all the dubs because I watched a lot of them with the kids when they were small. Most of the dubs are really well done, except for Laputa which is ruined by James Van Der Beek.

Voted for Totoro, because it is just so perfect. But Princess Mononoke was the first one I watched, so that has a special place in my heart.

I've seen the "sequel" to My Neighbour Totoro in the Ghibli Museum. It's about the Catbuses, and it was fantastic.

Have to admit, the only dub I’ve ever watched is Castle of Cagliostro, on Film 4, back when the film wasn’t available on Blu-ray (or Netflix, as it is currently). Had seen most of the Ghibli films by then, so loved seeing how so many of the Miyazaki tropes started taking root so early.

Used to love Mononoke-Hime, but after multiple watches it started to feel a bit bloated and po-faced.

Totoro was super magical and fresh, but is horribly over-exposed in Japan and so the sheen came off it.

Grave of the Fireflies is a life changing piece of animation - profoundly so, but I don't know that I could ever watch it again. Elements of it are burned directly into my brain*. The way choices made in the heat of the moment can set your whole life on a course you have no control over is something I have often thought about since seeing it.

*when the brother tries to cuddle his little sister as they sleep in their shelter by the riverside, and she pushes him away

I don't know how anyone can stand Ponyo. It felt very forced and commercial when it came out, like he was trying too hard to make a new Totoro level phenomenon.

I loved Pom Poko back in the day because I loved the whole folklore about Tanuki and their testicles, but the latter part of the movie feels a bit like an educational film made for schools - also it reminds me too much of Watership Down which had already left a much deeper imprint on my psyche as a child.

I haven't seen any of the more recent movies, I think I got a bit tired of Ghibli.

So I voted Laputa because I think I have only seen it once, loved it and would probably still enjoy it too.

In the early nineties my supercool aunt treated me to a trip to London where we went to some anime screenings at the ICA.  They were putting on an exhibition called Manga Manga Manga, it was just around the time that Manga video became a thing, and started releasing stuff in the high street.

Over a couple of nights we saw cinema screenings of Akira, Venus Wars, Graveyard for Fireflies and one other which I can’t remember (it may have been Laputa).  

Akira was obviously brilliant, Venus Wars fairly pants (and the projector broke halfway through), but Fireflies was amazing; the whole theatre was in tears. I’ve not brought myself to watch it again, and I have a daughter now, so it would probably put me in floods.

It’s so funny hearing other people’s recollections about Laputa and the ITV dub - I thought I was the only one!  I used to enjoy spotting the VO actors common between cartoons, I think there were a few in Laputa that cropped up in Dogtanian  :)

Do people generally re-watch Grave of the Fireflies? I realised I've only ever watched it once, probably somewhere around 2002. Thing is, I've automatically bought it on DVD and then Blu-ray but I've never felt compelled to revisit it - more so than any other distressing movie.

7 hours ago, Darwock said:

Used to love Mononoke-Hime, but after multiple watches it started to feel a bit bloated and po-faced.

Totoro was super magical and fresh, but is horribly over-exposed in Japan and so the sheen came off it.

Grave of the Fireflies is a life changing piece of animation - profoundly so, but I don't know that I could ever watch it again. Elements of it are burned directly into my brain*. The way choices made in the heat of the moment can set your whole life on a course you have no control over is something I have often thought about since seeing it.

Hide contents

*when the brother tries to cuddle his little sister as they sleep in their shelter by the riverside, and she pushes him away

I don't know how anyone can stand Ponyo. It felt very forced and commercial when it came out, like he was trying too hard to make a new Totoro level phenomenon.

I loved Pom Poko back in the day because I loved the whole folklore about Tanuki and their testicles, but the latter part of the movie feels a bit like an educational film made for schools - also it reminds me too much of Watership Down which had already left a much deeper imprint on my psyche as a child.

I haven't seen any of the more recent movies, I think I got a bit tired of Ghibli.

So I voted Laputa because I think I have only seen it once, loved it and would probably still enjoy it too.

What a miserable fucking post, man. Fucks wrong with you?

13 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Do people generally re-watch Grave of the Fireflies? I realised I've only ever watched it once, probably somewhere around 2002. Thing is, I've automatically bought it on DVD and then Blu-ray but I've never felt compelled to revisit it - more so than any other distressing movie.

Jesus christ, no. I don't think I could it's so gut-wrenchingly awful (in theme, not quality), it's upsetting just thinking about it. 

I went with Laputa, Yamadas, Whisper of the Heart and Lupin.

Lupin is obviously the best, despite not being an official Ghibli film (shut it, it counts) but picking between Laputa, Porco Rosso and Nausicaa was hard. There's still a few gaps here and there (I still haven't seen Princess Kaguya, Arietty nor Earthsea, but given that I'm such a fan of Le Guin, I'm not sure I could to watch a bad adaptation again, especially after the travesty that was Howl's Moving Castle), but I hope to get to them eventually. 

(whilst we're here, you owe it yourselves to watch A Woman Called Fujiko Mine - it's ace)