IGNORED

NES Appreciation Thread

RastanSaga

(Couldn't find a NES appreciation)

I have a famicom, but, I've just bought a PAL NES.

I'm going to concentrate on the PAL optimised games, until I figure out my best option of playing ntsc-u software.

I love the NES! My parents bought my brother and me one in the 80's, from boots!

It was the best thing ever! Obv at the time, I didn't have a clue about 50/60hz and as a 13/14 year I wouldn't of thought of imports..

Just bought blue shadow, and the Nes I bought also comes with Kirby...been years.

I'm looking forward to it!

s-l1600 (57).jpg

I have a (PAL*) NES sitting in my living room and about 70-odd games. It's a pain in the arse because of the dodgy cartridge connectors. I've cleaned the connectors and all of the cartridges with isopropyl and it's improved but it's still a bit flaky and puts me off using it a fair bit. That said, I've had some great sessions with it. I've finished Powerblade and I love Rollergames. Street Gangs I'm playing on the Wii-U for some reason (I have a copy of it) and that is brilliant, although I've become somewhat stuck. Action in New York is another favourite. 

* for some reason, some consoles bother me less in PAL. 8-bit computers and Atari 2600 mostly but NES also. 

At some point I'm going to get an Everdrive, but I might look into getting a Famicom first and moving away from the PAL nonsense.

Decided to get a mini-NES to go alongside my mini-SNES. Two of my fav consoles ever but just sold the two full size versions so wanted something that gave me something to scratch the retro Nintendo itch when needed in a convenient package... 30 games and a micro console seem the perfect way to do it!

Looks like Nintendo reissued this as they were really hard to find (and expensive!) last time I looked. Got one from the official Nintendo store for £68 with USB power adaptor and additional pad.

Hoping it does a good job... any experience of this out there Vs the genuine NES? If its anything like the mini-SNES it should be close enough for me to the full experience.

8 hours ago, MattyP said:

Decided to get a mini-NES to go alongside my mini-SNES. Two of my fav consoles ever but just sold the two full size versions so wanted something that gave me something to scratch the retro Nintendo itch when needed in a convenient package... 30 games and a micro console seem the perfect way to do it!

Looks like Nintendo reissued this as they were really hard to find (and expensive!) last time I looked. Got one from the official Nintendo store for £68 with USB power adaptor and additional pad.

Hoping it does a good job... any experience of this out there Vs the genuine NES? If its anything like the mini-SNES it should be close enough for me to the full experience.

You can put every nes game on there 

Does anyone else think the NES version of Star Wars is a stone cold classic?

You explore Tatooine in you speeder, you have to find your lightsaber from Obi-Wan. You can play as Han Solo and Princess Leia. You fly the Millennium Falcon and your X-Wing in first person. You get stuck in the trash compactor. Only weird thing is the complete lack of Darth Vader both inside the Death Star and during the trench run.

Still, loved it so much as a kid.

14 hours ago, ulala said:

You can put every nes game on there 

I know but I probably wouldn't want too TBH... I have enough problems choosing what to play at the moment! :) 

Looks like most of the games on this are now also accessible through the Switch online service. However will be nice to play with a NES pad.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

I know but I probably wouldn't want too TBH... I have enough problems choosing what to play at the moment! :) 

Looks like most of the games on this are now also accessible through the Switch online service. However will be nice to play with a NES pad.

you only need put the games that you want to play on there, it really is a fantastic way to play NES.

I limited myself to 60 on the SNES (around the most you can have before needing folders) and its worked out really well. Just the games i play or want to play.

60 nes games would be enough for a collated best of the nes

Hi guys x

i'm sure the nes sound is one channel anyway?

well, it came with a rf cable, i've just sorted out a twin rca to rca, popped a scart block on it, its taken away the rf interference i had, and the sound is more consistent.

is there a cable i can buy for audio left and right?

Thanks.

The NES is a tough one for me, there was one kid who owned one in my school, because the games were like £25 each in the late 80s when we were playing pirated Spectrum games. I remember playing Zelda and Bubble Bobble and being blown away by how good they were. But nobody owned one, except that one posh kid that was spoiled!

It was the first console that I really got into for emulation, there was a shareware NES emulator on the Amiga and I remember paying the author for the key, who was based somewhere in Sweeen or something. By paying, it was a postal order and he then sent you an email! The emulator was pretty good although I think it ran at about 80% speed. Plus it helped that the files size for the roms was pretty small, meaning you could store a decent amount of games on the paltry 512 MB HDD I had. This was amazing as the NES was one of these consoles that was expensive and now you could have hundred of games!

I ended up getting an actual NES in the late 90s but I ended up selling it on, I never really played it and the console and carts were so bloody bulky!

But playing the nes now is really difficult. Most of the games are simply better on the SNES and there’s an awful lot of shovelware on it. But I still love the Konami and Capcom games on the NES, as well as the lesser known Nintendo games like Star Tropics

10 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

The NES is a tough one for me, there was one kid who owned one in my school, because the games were like £25 each in the late 80s when we were playing pirated Spectrum games. I remember playing Zelda and Bubble Bobble and being blown away by how good they were. But nobody owned one, except that one posh kid that was spoiled!

It was the first console that I really got into for emulation, there was a shareware NES emulator on the Amiga and I remember paying the author for the key, who was based somewhere in Sweeen or something. By paying, it was a postal order and he then sent you an email! The emulator was pretty good although I think it ran at about 80% speed. Plus it helped that the files size for the roms was pretty small, meaning you could store a decent amount of games on the paltry 512 MB HDD I had. This was amazing as the NES was one of these consoles that was expensive and now you could have hundred of games!

I ended up getting an actual NES in the late 90s but I ended up selling it on, I never really played it and the console and carts were so bloody bulky!

But playing the nes now is really difficult. Most of the games are simply better on the SNES and there’s an awful lot of shovelware on it. But I still love the Konami and Capcom games on the NES, as well as the lesser known Nintendo games like Star Tropics

Absolutely, it was seen as a kids toy by my peers - who were too busy copying spectrum games and drooling over an Amiga 500

Donkey Kong is kinda funny in 50hz.

I'm a big fan of the original two and 3 is okay.

I have some early Nintendo/Nintendo on Famicom Inc DK Jr.

I am meaning to pick more Nintendo/nintendo famicom games up...

I thought I'd have switch by now for the Nintendo hamster ports, but it's not proving to be the case, with no e3 price drop....soon maybe.

I was always looking to buy the red anniversary Wii with all 4 stages included, but since these games were put on switch (by Hamster) I've been keen to get a switch.

It was that or buy my bro a pool table for Christmas! 

24 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Urgh I need to stop coming in this thread. Getting the urge to go for a full PAL set again! I almost managed it 9 years ago, never again :lol: Just ordered Turtles again :blink2:

how many in a full pal set?

14 minutes ago, ulala said:

how many in a full pal set?

299 according to my UKV PAL NES-Bit database from 2012. But that included a few unknowns like Alpha Mission (which I 100% confirmed as I managed to get a copy) and Aladdin (that came out in Australia but it had a UKV label so as far as I'm concerned its a legit title). I was 4 carts off the lot but those were mostly some expensive Mega Man carts so I came darn close.

By the way if anyones thinking of going down that route I wouldn't bother with Nintendo Age. They were so unhelpful on there and didn't seem to hold any interest when I was actively trying to offer them pictures and details for unconfirmed carts. Considering they were a collectors site it was always weird they wouldn't actually accept details :lol:

25 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

299 according to my UKV PAL NES-Bit database from 2012. But that included a few unknowns like Alpha Mission (which I 100% confirmed as I managed to get a copy) and Aladdin (that came out in Australia but it had a UKV label so as far as I'm concerned its a legit title). I was 4 carts off the lot but those were mostly some expensive Mega Man carts so I came darn close.

By the way if anyones thinking of going down that route I wouldn't bother with Nintendo Age. They were so unhelpful on there and didn't seem to hold any interest when I was actively trying to offer them pictures and details for unconfirmed carts. Considering they were a collectors site it was always weird they wouldn't actually accept details :lol:

Are you starting from scratch again, what happened to your other collection?