NES Appreciation Thread

RastanSaga

11 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Run-ahead isn't the best. It does result in a perfect gameplay experience in terms of latency, however, there are all kinds of weird frame issues that, especially on faster games, once seen cannot be unseen.

That's interesting, didn't know that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2022 at 14:48, Phantoon said:

That sounds interesting, can't wait to hear about that.

Issue 233 review. Will post the Kickstarter here when it goes live...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just stuck on Narc, no idea why, it's programmed by rare and immediately it's noticeable. As usual for rare it's super smooth, but one thing I don't get: how did they get violence past the Nintendo censors?! The baddies actually explode into body parts, was quite surprised!

• 1 month later...

I woke up this morning and all I wanted to do was play old NES games.
I've had a brilliant few hours on some of the lesser played titles in my collection.
I started off with Gun.Smoke, an absolutely brilliant shoot em up from Capcom. I think this is one of those instances where the NES port is superior to the arcade version. It's a pretty simple game but so much fun. I'll take this over any bullet-hell title any day.
Next up, Boulder Dash. As old as the hills but still a fun action puzzler with some nice presentation. Some people say the C64 version is the best but this NES version is much better.
Track and Field II is still hugely impressive. I remember being blown away by the graphics on this when it first came out. Even with a turbo controller it's still pretty tough as most events require technique and timing rather simple button bashing. I got a respectable triple jump distance and qualified for the swimming, but getting good will take practice.
Off Road must be one of the most ported games of the time. I think it came out on just about every format. This is a fun version by Rare and I had a good 20mins in it but at its heart it's a multiplayer game.
Ocean's Parasol Stars port is a bit on the ugly side but it plays brilliantly with nice tight controls. I really enjoyed playing this.
I finished off with a bit of Kung Fu. Again, a really simple game but really good fun. It looks lovely too. The graphics are basic but it's very crisp and colourful.
Probably a waste of a sunny Sunday morning in some ways but I bloody loved it.

FB_IMG_1659886489178.jpg

10 hours ago, JamesC said:

I woke up this morning and all I wanted to do was play old NES games.
I've had a brilliant few hours on some of the lesser played titles in my collection.
I started off with Gun.Smoke, an absolutely brilliant shoot em up from Capcom. I think this is one of those instances where the NES port is superior to the arcade version. It's a pretty simple game but so much fun. I'll take this over any bullet-hell title any day.
Next up, Boulder Dash. As old as the hills but still a fun action puzzler with some nice presentation. Some people say the C64 version is the best but this NES version is much better.
Track and Field II is still hugely impressive. I remember being blown away by the graphics on this when it first came out. Even with a turbo controller it's still pretty tough as most events require technique and timing rather simple button bashing. I got a respectable triple jump distance and qualified for the swimming, but getting good will take practice.
Off Road must be one of the most ported games of the time. I think it came out on just about every format. This is a fun version by Rare and I had a good 20mins in it but at its heart it's a multiplayer game.
Ocean's Parasol Stars port is a bit on the ugly side but it plays brilliantly with nice tight controls. I really enjoyed playing this.
I finished off with a bit of Kung Fu. Again, a really simple game but really good fun. It looks lovely too. The graphics are basic but it's very crisp and colourful.
Probably a waste of a sunny Sunday morning in some ways but I bloody loved it.

FB_IMG_1659886489178.jpg

Rather solid version of Boulder Dash I recall. Looks nice too.

I bought the Lego Nintendo Entertainment System from Smyths today, as it is now reduced to £159.99.  I've only build the console itself so far, and all the way through I kept thinking how cool it would be to fit a Raspberry Pi running NES ROMs inside it.

On 05/02/2020 at 14:58, Kevvy Metal said:

I still have no idea why you wouldn't get an Everdrive. The Famicom versions are usually just so much better. 

Bit late, but genuine question, are Famicom versions usually better than USA releases?

Snake Rattle and Roll is great, I still have my original copy I got for my birthday one year. It was a budget release at about £25 when released, I think. I've definitely had £25 worth of fun with it over the years. 

I quite like the Megadrive version too. 

On 17/08/2022 at 21:37, electricmastro said:

Rare made many NES games, though my favorite would have to be Snake Rattle n Roll. There's just so much personality and smooth-movement to play around with that I can't help but take note of it.

CTk82Qr.jpg

Yeah, top three NES game for me. Even has co-op. It's bloody hard at times, but it's brilliant.

21 hours ago, Phantoon said:

Yeah, top three NES game for me. Even has co-op. It's bloody hard at times, but it's brilliant.

Yeah, I'm glad it was included in Rare Replay, alongside Digger T. Rock, R.C. Pro-Am, and Solar Jetman. Definitely could use a remake though.

• 2 weeks later...