NES Appreciation Thread

RastanSaga

47 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I'm not so sure. They seem to stick to the higher end of the market on all their hardware and they've loads to do yet. Likes of the PC Engine can't be far away.

a £150 FPGA nes  to go with their SNES range seems doable 

esp for users who don’t want the old analogue connection rubbish

Seem to be in a really good place where I have far too many games to play at once and wanting to focus on playing just a few through to completion. When this arrived in the post the other day it had awful label peel but after a bit of love and care with a clear setting glue stick it looks brand new. Not really sure this works as a game on the NES, felt a bit boring compared to the hours of fun I had on the Amiga. Competent port but just missing.. something.

Reminds me of what they did with North & South with consolised efforts but it controls well enough, is fairly challenging and the controls are as good as you might expet. Sound a bit bored with it.. but I did try to give it a fair old go but just didn't impress. One on the look at and don't play much pile.

defender crown.jpg

Digging through the pile of NES carts and there was bound to be the odd title that wouldn't get much play. When this came out it was probably quite good but when something like NES Open came along (Will always be Mario Golf to me!) it just made this completely pointless.

Does a good enough job of creating some tough courses but its far too basic to be any fun and found myself moving on after a couple of hours. So many good games to play and little time to was on the likes of this. I do like the artwork though as it's' a bit more advanced than what's on the other black cart labels.

golf.jpg

On 22/01/2020 at 12:13, ulala said:

I need to report this post, what are you thinking?

The ZX spectrum was a great first machine - dont wish away those tape-loading-error memories.

Especially not for the NES. Im happy that we got the MasterSystem instead. A much better first console.

I got a nes when I was about nine. Only had a spectrum since I was about two. Super Mario Bros was a revelation. Games where 40 quid though so only got one other game (super spoke volleyball). That's 90 quid in today's money!?!

Where games that expensive in the states? Or Japan?

If there's one game that keeps bringing me back for port after port it's always Double Dragon. It even got a turn on the Atari 2600 so was bound to end up in my hands before long. Most of my memories of the NES release come from all those rewatches of The Wizard with Jimmy getting his 50'000. Not sure if it's rose tinted spectacles with this but most reviewers ttreat it like Marmite, never really going into detail as to why it's good. It looks okay and has a great rendition of arcade themes but there's a limit of just a couple of enemies on screen. That leaves it feeling a bit unsatisfying as you can't get involved in any mass brawls. Probably my favourite box art so far and no nunchucks in site for that UK audience. Not sure if the others are like that but I know Kung Fu lost them because of it. Or I might be making that up :lol:

Happy to have this cornerstone in the collection and out of all the stuff I picked up this has been in the system far more times than I can say. Maybe it's good or one of those just on the edge of being better.

IMG_20200302_190706727.jpg

Big thank you goes out to RastanSaga for these beauties. There wasn't all that many of the mags released but still interesting enough to add to a full set collection, it was in the UK after all. Lots of the game shots and artwork were sent over from the US and from what I recall they just wrote them up as quickly as possible.

Have my own story to go with the mag. Back in 2010 when I was doing my NES site I actually managed to track down the editor who did a stint in the 80's thanks to someone on Facebook. He had a public marketing site so I emailed that to introduce myself. Didn't go too overboard and just asked him if he would consider doing an article for the site, sure I mentioned that I'd done other interviews and wondered if he would be interested.

He turned me down and I thought that was the end of it but a week or so later he wrote a scathing blog post calling me pathetic. Went on about how sad it was someone would even bother tracking him down for this as he was only in his 20's, was his first job on a mag, was just marketing fluff etc. Was a bit perplexed at the time to say the least! Since then we've had mags like Retro Gamer do full histories and interviews with people from mags and they've always been pretty good sports. Even saw an interview recently from one of CN's writers and she was very positive about the whole experience and shared some history. Certainly put me off interviews for awhile when I spoke to the fella!

club nintendo.jpg

On 21/03/2020 at 18:32, Lorfarius said:

Big thank you goes out to RastanSaga for these beauties. There wasn't all that many of the mags released but still interesting enough to add to a full set collection, it was in the UK after all. Lots of the game shots and artwork were sent over from the US and from what I recall they just wrote them up as quickly as possible.

Have my own story to go with the mag. Back in 2010 when I was doing my NES site I actually managed to track down the editor who did a stint in the 80's thanks to someone on Facebook. He had a public marketing site so I emailed that to introduce myself. Didn't go too overboard and just asked him if he would consider doing an article for the site, sure I mentioned that I'd done other interviews and wondered if he would be interested.

He turned me down and I thought that was the end of it but a week or so later he wrote a scathing blog post calling me pathetic. Went on about how sad it was someone would even bother tracking him down for this as he was only in his 20's, was his first job on a mag, was just marketing fluff etc. Was a bit perplexed at the time to say the least! Since then we've had mags like Retro Gamer do full histories and interviews with people from mags and they've always been pretty good sports. Even saw an interview recently from one of CN's writers and she was very positive about the whole experience and shared some history. Certainly put me off interviews for awhile when I spoke to the fella!

club nintendo.jpg

Thank you man.

I have a letter printed in one of the early issues asking for a job!

I can't remember the issue now...around 1989.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got back into watching episodes of Game Center CX and the segments where they show off games from a given publisher have inspired me to try out a bunch of NES/FC I've not played before. The most enjoyable so far has been Paaman Enban Wo Torikaese. It's a weird mix of fun platformer, spot the difference mini-games and boardgame-and-dice boss battles. The latter makes winning somewhat random, but I'm probably missing an aspect of the gameplay.

I've also played a bit of Kickle Cubicle which I've always been aware of, but never properly played; imagining it as a derivative block sliding puzzle game of little interest. Little did I know it has more in common with Pengo and is actually really good fun.

• 3 months later...

With everything going on and the worry about losing work or not have any money I've been saving like crazy, putting cash aside just in case something goes wrong. As we come out of furlough and my workload isn't looking like getting rid I've started to dabble in collecting again! I'm planning on doing a trip round Birmingham soon as they have around 4.5 different retro shops so I plan to get a mega haul once I'm sure its safe enough over August.

For now I picked up a copy of Mystery World Dizzy. This was a rediscovered NES cart by the Oliver's which never made it out back then, usually I tend to focus on official releases but as an almost there it sort of counts :lol: Been seeing some crazy prices of £150 since March but I saw this at £50 and jumped right in with an offer.  It's a signed copy too which will go nicely besides my Panic Dizzy.

Spent about an hour playing it and whilst it's easier than the likes of Fantasy World it is challenging enough to last. There's lots of stars to collect and a very large landscape so going to have a lot of fun with this one. I've been slowly working my way through all the NES carts I've bought to completion where possible. Some are just impossible to do like Shadow Warriors but a couple like Darkwing Duck and MegaMan 2 have been beaten! Will ay I've missed collecting like this and staring at the same old dusty shelves with empty spaces has been very depressing... but not for much longer!

IMG_20200718_105636188.jpg

IMG_20200718_105644520.jpgIMG_20200718_105653444.jpg

IMG_20200718_105702346.jpg

I have a PAL NES, AV modded Famicom, RGB modded Famicom and now this...

I'm gonna put an RGB mod in this too, it'll also need a replacement back plate with a 3D printed Nintendo multi out.

IMG_5292.thumb.jpeg.5e75b0947ee5124565553d4d38ab18dc.jpeg

I need to dig out an RF cable to test before I do anything. I know my TV will do NTSC over composite and S-Video, but I expect this to be in B&W!!!

Started Gremlins 2 yesterday (actual NES, not emulation). And it's surprisingly very excellent. A top-down action platformer. Wander maze like levels shooting baddies, collecting crystals, and buying gear from shops (the mystical guy has little portal doors pop up). Reached level 3-1 and wrote down the password.

Surprisingly faithful to the movie, as much as a NES can be - showing notable events with cut-scenes. The cut-scenes are really good. It also does a dithering trick with the graphics, if playing through AV cables - because the signal naturally blurs pixels, unlike with emulation, there's some cool colour blending going on with the backgrounds, so make it look like it's a bit richer (noticeable on the textured carpet of the first level). Lots of sprite flickering though, which may bug some.

Music is typically great as with all Sunsoft games.

I'm kinda surprised I've not seen NES collectors rave about this.

Yea, I always liked Gremlins 2.

The password for the last level has stuck with me for the past 30 years, I’ve never forgotten it.

NXRD

No idea why, but it’s never left my brain. 

Balloons are the key. You get a couple and you can skip massive chunks of a level. Pretty sure it’s how I cleared one of the later levels after many attempts.

• 4 weeks later...