NES Appreciation Thread

RastanSaga

On 23/07/2020 at 20:55, Goemon said:

Yea, I always liked Gremlins 2.

The password for the last level has stuck with me for the past 30 years, I’ve never forgotten it.

Reveal hidden contents

NXRD

No idea why, but it’s never left my brain. 

Balloons are the key. You get a couple and you can skip massive chunks of a level. Pretty sure it’s how I cleared one of the later levels after many attempts.

Omg SAME!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a nice bundle of Club Nintendo's yesterday for just a few quid thanks to an eBay voucher. Not been chasing many of these but out of 29 mags I have 12 so far. Several more are on the way thanks to ebay.  Still a bit cross about the editor being a numpty but there wasn't really much of a marketing push in the UK and I'm still on the hopefully lookout for a full set of everything.

I've just been using some really strong A4 plastic sleeves that have piercings down the side for a binder. Need something better than that so open to suggestions!

IMG_20200906_105402812_HDR.jpg

Finally found a solution to my Retro USB AVS! Getting rid of it :lol: Been such a pain yanking the cartridge out and always worried it would crack the cases so it's time to go. Noticed this little beaut pop up on a retro gaming page, PAL unit which has been modded with HDMI and region free. So I will get all the familiar glory of 8Bit slowdown and not struggle on those faster NTSC carts!

£195 in total which might seem a bit on the pricey side but I've seen similar units go for £250-£300 on eBay, they don't pop up all that regular either. Has the gun and game too!

box.jpgmario.jpggame.jpgHDMI.jpg

NES.jpg

18 minutes ago, Camel said:

Is there a good region free solution these days? If they've just knocked out a pin on the lockout chip you'll find a lot of NTSC games are a bit glitchy.

Just buy an NTSC Machine, and do away with PAL nonsense. Buy an Everdrive for it. 

Or get a RetroUSB AVS, and also buy an Everdrive for it. 

...or a Mister. 

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Is there a good region free solution these days? If they've just knocked out a pin on the lockout chip you'll find a lot of NTSC games are a bit glitchy.

I've only got a few NTSC so not a problem for me. I'm up to about 60 PAL NES carts now.  Well on my way to a full set :D

A couple more CN's in the post, going to be clearing the full set at this rate :lol: Tempted to start picking up some Sega Powers to go with my Master System setup too. Don't think there's any scanned sets available plus it always more fun to read this. Most of the CN's I had before I scanned years ago (they are all in DeKays set now) but most mag sites don't seem interested. Real shame as I'm sure several I had weren't in anywhere near as good quality as what I did.

IMG_20200906_105342326.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Giving the top loader NES I RGB modded this week a good test over the past couple of days and really enjoying this one. It gets so fucking hard though, I never got past the 8th stage when I was a kid and that hasn't changed!

IMG_5752.thumb.jpeg.18502438c470b7d8701f2f27bbe0891c.jpeg

Looks great :)

Ah nice one, never imagined Snake, Rattle 'n' Roll was released internationally - good to know! I've lost a fair bit of my old collection and am hoping to replace it all eventually, but I should really opt for US copies in most cases - it's not worth it just to have the same box art on the shelf... :p

Interestingly, they removed the lockout chip for the top loader NES, so I could play PAL games on it and they should run at 60Hz, but apparently some are optimised for speed at least, they play screwey.

All that remains of my PAL collection is Mario & Duck Hunt, Tetris, Star Wars and other copies of Snake Rattle N Roll and Solstice. I must try them out!

Great to see those old Club Nintendo mags again. My old copies got chucked out years ago but I've always regretted it.

I've really been getting into the NES again recently. It was my first console (after playing my brother's Speccy and then owning a C64) so there's plenty of nostalgia involved, but I'm consistently impressed by how well many of the games hold up. I've recently been playing the likes of Castlevania, Blue Shadow, Power Blade, Parasol Stars - all of which are still really playable. I've been collecting carts at quite a rate over the last few weeks too, so have plenty of new stuff to get into (was amazed to find a copy of The Guardian Legend in the wild ((it's NTSC but I have an AVS which will play it)).

I'll have to put up some pics of my collection at some point. 

Firehawk came with the manual, which I was please with. I picked it up in the same place as The Guardian Legend (which is cart only and NTSC)  - just a little second hand/junk shop which sometimes has a handful of old games (probably from house clearances).

Strangely, the AVS will not play Firehawk at all but my old PAL NES played it first try. It seems really fun but I haven't had a great deal of time with it yet. It's basically NESert Strike.

2 hours ago, JamesC said:

Firehawk came with the manual, which I was please with. I picked it up in the same place as The Guardian Legend (which is cart only and NTSC)  - just a little second hand/junk shop which sometimes has a handful of old games (probably from house clearances).

Strangely, the AVS will not play Firehawk at all but my old PAL NES played it first try. It seems really fun but I haven't had a great deal of time with it yet. It's basically NESert Strike.

Have you tried changing the region?

2 hours ago, JamesC said:

Gun.Smoke seems pretty hard to find too but it's a great little shooter. A good friend of mine had this back in the 90s so I have that connection with it. Never realised it was so scarce.

Yeah its a great game, made even better on the control stick.

49 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Have you tried changing the region?

Well when I turn the machine on with the cart inserted I just get a grey screen and can't even access the system menu. I could try changing the region before inserting the cart though. 

Regarding the control stick - yeah I'd like to get a stick for the NES. I was actually just playing Captain Skyhawk and I reckon that would be pretty great with the stick too. 

5 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Well when I turn the machine on with the cart inserted I just get a grey screen and can't even access the system menu. I could try changing the region before inserting the cart though. 

Yeah, you usually have to do it before you run the cart.

Here's the rest of the NES collection.

About a third of these are my collection from childhood (early teenage years), some are pick ups from jumble sales/car boots from the mid/late 90s and the rest are Ebay/Retro shop pick ups from the last few years.

DSC_0489.JPG

DSC_0490.JPG

DSC_0491.JPG

DSC_0492.JPG

DSC_0493.JPG

Does anyone have a UKV version of Zelda 2 that they'd be willing to swap for a FRA one? The gold hasn't lost any of its luster or have flakes and I think is as good as you could expect to find these days. FRA has the English language but I'm a UKV collector so doesn't do me much good. Looking for one that has no flakes or black marks which seems harder to find these days.

• 3 weeks later...