NES Appreciation Thread

It is the best version. I still have a copy of it for the NES and it's an amazing port. Obviously Elite is a fairly limited game by today's standards, but I'd definitely recommend getting hold of NES Elite if you can. It's also a bastard to emulate properly, in fact I don't think I've ever been able to run it in any of the emulators I've tried.

58 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Shame it's so expensive. Think it's one you def need a manual for.

Ah, I dunno. If you've ever played Elite anywhere else you'll pick the NES port up in no time. I wouldn't let lack of manual put me off, unless I was deliberately collecting complete box/cart/manual sets.

33 minutes ago, Zio said:

Ah, I dunno. If you've ever played Elite anywhere else you'll pick the NES port up in no time. I wouldn't let lack of manual put me off, unless I was deliberately collecting complete box/cart/manual sets.

I've got an everdrive so could use that. Didn't know emulation was a bit busy for elite. One thing though, I think the nes version is censored. No slaves or drugs or something.

Did braben and bell handle the port?

On 26/10/2020 at 11:41, bplus said:

I've got an everdrive so could use that. Didn't know emulation was a bit busy for elite. One thing though, I think the nes version is censored. No slaves or drugs or something.

Did braben and bell handle the port?

Think it was just Bell.

Found an awesome mini doc about the NES posted today:

Nope but heard very good things about them.  In collectors news... was able to find a copy of Aladdin. Years ago it wasn't even and doesn't seem to pop up in many PAL collections. I think its because it was the end of the NES's life and was easier to ship a small number over to Australia without bothering to release it to the UK so it ended up using the UKV code. For someone going for a full set its a must in my eyes and glad to finally have it back on the shelf.

To play as a game there's not much to it. It's a perfectly average license title but is a bit too strip backed ont he graphical front. It's good how they got all of the MD level design in there but with a much more shrunken view you just lose way too much detail. Plays well enough to not be a problem and it didn't take me long to wander through a few levels. Good but no cigar, best thing about is that awesome label.

IMG_20200912_130138618.jpgIMG_20200912_190037308.jpgIMG_20200912_190841732.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Nope but heard very good things about them.  In collectors news... was able to find a copy of Aladdin. Years ago it wasn't even and doesn't seem to pop up in many PAL collections. I think its because it was the end of the NES's life and was easier to ship a small number over to Australia without bothering to release it to the UK so it ended up using the UKV code. For someone going for a full set its a must in my eyes and glad to finally have it back on the shelf.

To play as a game there's not much to it. It's a perfectly average license title but is a bit too strip backed ont he graphical front. It's good how they got all of the MD level design in there but with a much more shrunken view you just lose way too much detail. Plays well enough to not be a problem and it didn't take me long to wander through a few levels. Good but no cigar, best thing about is that awesome label.

IMG_20200912_130138618.jpgIMG_20200912_190037308.jpgIMG_20200912_190841732.jpg

Why's the screen so square?

45 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's looks very square! 

I'm not a stretch 16:9 advocate or anything weird like that. Just very 1:1 in that pic and I was curious. 

Never thought about it to be honest :lol: If I stretch it in the menu, looks awful. I've got an NT Noir on the way at the end of the month so won't matter for much longer!

36 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Wait, there was Aladdin on the NES, but it was based on the Mega Drive version of the game rather than the Capcom Super NES one? :blink: 

Yeah, I think there was a bidding war for certain systems and Capcom ended up with the SNES one, Virgin got the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Was listening to a retro gaming podcast when they mentioned a new Zelda 2 ROM update has been released. Only came out a couple of weeks ago but looks to be the greatest version of the game you could want, fixes so many problems and alters part of the difficulty to make it more playable. Things like the FDS themes (which was better due to the extra oomph of the add on) have been reinstated with rewrites of the main script to match the Jap dialogue and many, many things. Whoo! 

Link

If you ever held off playing it then this is the time to jump in, such amazing work.

• 2 weeks later...