Glastonbury new for 2022 (includes 2019 chat)

Stanley

18 hours ago, Angles Morts said:

Is there still a dance tent? I've not seen any coverage from it.

There isn't just a dance tent - there are more than 30 dance stages.

None of them are televised because there would be a national conversation about open drug use on the bbc.

The electronic music lineup was genuinely the best it has ever been, struggle to think of someone relevant that wasnt there.

16 hours ago, ZOK said:

I thought Kendrick Lamar was okay, but it didn’t really move me particularly…all felt a bit one note I thought. Certainly not like Megan Thee Stallion, who outclassed him in every respect. She’ll be remembered as the People’s Headliner.

Little Simz was the best headliner by a country mile. She should have been on the pyramid on the Friday.

50 minutes ago, Isaac said:

There isn't just a dance tent - there are more than 30 dance stages.

None of them are televised because there would be a national conversation about open drug use on the bbc.

The electronic music lineup was genuinely the best it has ever been, struggle to think of someone relevant that wasnt there.

Little Simz was the best headliner by a country mile. She should have been on the pyramid on the Friday.

Little Simz was brilliant, but again really not in the same class as Megan Thee Stallion - her skills and show were so far ahead of any other rapper I saw there it’s not even funny.

Which, for clarification, were AJ Tracey, Little Simz and Kendrick Lamar. I am guessing there were others!

The Pet Shop Boys set is absolutely stellar. I’m a huge fan, and even I’m surprised at sheer density of bangers they’re putting out, it’s just wall to wall amazing songs, in a nice mix of alternate versions and the original arrangements; the sheer energy and invention of their imperial period is kind of hard to believe now. And Neil Tennant’s voice hasn’t changed or declined in about 20 years. 

I was also dubious about the excuse given for Chris Lowe not being there at the start, but if you watch the opening of the set, the dividing screen comes up about a foot and then abruptly stops. Which suggests it really was a mistake. Although there is a podium with a laptop next to Neil Tennant that was unoccupied throughout the opening bit, which certainly looked like it should have had Chris Lowe manning it. 

Although there is a podium with a laptop next to Neil Tennant that was unoccupied throughout the opening bit, which certainly looked like it should have had Chris Lowe manning it. 

Yeah that’s odd. Like, he was supposed to be with Neil at the start under the street lights but for some reason wasn’t ready. Hence missing the opening and starting from the back. Though if he wasn’t ready you would think they’d just delay the start unless they’re very strict on timings. 

Starting watching the KL set last night and thought it was very arty but it didn’t grab me as I don’t really know any of the songs like the old man I am. 

Finally catching the Macca set today. Had a big smile on my face the whole way through so far, great to see an old pro smash out of the park, and boy he’s still got it. 

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Just watching the last 30 minutes of the set this evening. Seem to have got something in my eyes, but of dust or some hay fever, must be…

Personally, I’m sick of the “all the people on the left” Na Na Na Na Na Na Naaaas he’s done every tour since 1989, but even I felt emotional at Hey Jude. I turned to my wife and said “better drink it in, there probably isn’t going to be many more times we get to see McCartney do this”

On 26/06/2022 at 20:53, Graham S said:

CF7AA5BA-E650-474D-9F61-B71269875C2D.thumb.jpeg.9fc40a535cccf76fc50ad713bbcd58df.jpeg

Despite being younger than most on this forum I now feel old as fuck because the only people I've heard of on this list are the four headliners, and I could only name songs by the two of them who are older than my parents. AMYL and the Sniffers sounds like the kind of name Chris Morris would make up!

I watched Roisin Murphy's set and found it a mixed bag - can't fault her voice, she sounds better live than recorded, and her band were brilliant. I just found it a bit self indulgent at times with certain songs and loops going on far too long (maybe you need to be there and off your head). When it worked for me though tracks like Flash of Light near the end (about 1h6m on iplayer) were hypnotic, that bass and the guitar riff were incredible.

Can't fault the craft or musicianship, just needed a bit of editing and I know she likes to, in her own words, 'not make it easy for the audience'. But a couple more straight up bangers would have been appreciated. I did love the end of the set though as they all walked off one at a time with their instrument going silent then all came back on acoustic for the encore.

42 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I watched Roisin Murphy's set and found it a mixed bag - can't fault her voice, she sounds better live than recorded, and her band were brilliant. I just found it a bit self indulgent at times with certain songs and loops going on far too long (maybe you need to be there and off your head). When it worked for me though tracks like Flash of Light near the end (about 1h6m on iplayer) were hypnotic, that bass and the guitar riff were incredible.

Can't fault the craft or musicianship, just needed a bit of editing and I know she likes to, in her own words, 'not make it easy for the audience'. But a couple more straight up bangers would have been appreciated. I did love the end of the set though as they all walked off one at a time with their instrument going silent then all came back on acoustic for the encore.

Roisin Murphy did a set in NYC downlow on Monday morning at 2am that was better - I haven't seen a better marriage between artist and venue ever before in my life. For context, NYC Downlow is a gay club styled like a New York tenement:

untitled-article-1498062397.jpg?crop=1xw

Excuse my frankly awful video but it gives you an idea of the atmosphere:

Just about getting my head back to normal after my week at Glasto (working).  Managed to see a fair bit but making the choice to go and see Pet Shop Boys over Kendrick (who I had no interest in until a rumour did the round about Eminem turning up) was the best choice of the weekend. A fantastic show all round. 

Was anyone else in the crowd for the beginning of Macca and noticed the 'demo' version watermark on the video they showed at the start? I am guessing the BBC wont have shown that 🤣

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

When I heard Fun For Me, I thought it sounded pretty good, but it descended into way below average. By the time it got to Sing It Back, which should have been the massive song of the set, the structure of the song itself was bloated with an intro that was way too long, her vocals were terrible and the guitarist was out of tune. I switched it off at that point. 

10 hours ago, Parappa said:

Just about getting my head back to normal after my week at Glasto (working).  Managed to see a fair bit but making the choice to go and see Pet Shop Boys over Kendrick (who I had no interest in until a rumour did the round about Eminem turning up) was the best choice of the weekend. A fantastic show all round. 

Was anyone else in the crowd for the beginning of Macca and noticed the 'demo' version watermark on the video they showed at the start? I am guessing the BBC wont have shown that 🤣

I did not, but that thing was so long I was questioning whether he might have died and it was some weird obituary.

1 hour ago, roobarb said:

Was anybody else at Arcadia for the Carl Cox/Chase n Status set? That blew me away, was probably the highlight for me.

PXL_20220625_014513205.thumb.jpg.4b8e795e932d66518ae3cb7014cdc8cd.jpg

Nope but we saw him at Glade with Incognito. It was brilliant! 

10 hours ago, Parappa said:

Nope but we saw him at Glade with Incognito. It was brilliant! 

Yeah his Glade set was probably my set of the entire festival. So much fun.

When I went to see KuruptFM at the spider they opened the set saying Paul McCartney had died and every few songs said RIP Paul and would dedicate them to his ghost :lol:

55 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yeah his Glade set was probably my set of the entire festival. So much fun.

When I went to see KuruptFM at the spider they opened the set saying Paul McCartney had died and every few songs said RIP Paul and would dedicate them to his ghost :lol:

🤣

On 28/06/2022 at 12:29, spanx said:

Finally catching the Macca set today. Had a big smile on my face the whole way through so far, great to see an old pro smash out of the park, and boy he’s still got it. 

It was the sight of him standing there with George Harrison's Ukulele, playing Something in front of Christ knows how many people that got me. Just astonishing. The man could get a tune out of a washing line.

On 28/06/2022 at 21:54, spanx said:

Just watching the last 30 minutes of the set this evening. Seem to have got something in my eyes, but of dust or some hay fever, must be…

Golden Slumbers always gets me. Especially since we lost our son and his twin last year. Just amazing.

On 29/06/2022 at 21:28, roobarb said:

Was anybody else at Arcadia for the Carl Cox/Chase n Status set? That blew me away, was probably the highlight for me.

PXL_20220625_014513205.thumb.jpg.4b8e795e932d66518ae3cb7014cdc8cd.jpg

Is that real. How much would it cost,

On 02/07/2022 at 09:52, Stanley said:

Turnstile’s set, easily my favourite from Glastonbury this year, they are phenomenal. 

Looks like a young Simon Day. 

"Billy, don't be a hero, don't be a fool with your life"

"One day somebody'll cover that'n they'll ruin it."