IGNORED

Glastonbury new for 2022 (includes 2019 chat)

Stanley

Kylie drew the biggest crowd I think I've ever seen so make of that what you will.

You're never gonna the full experience just watching on TV. For a start a good deal of the acts aren't televised. So Black Midi, the most exciting guitar band around right now played, but tbh they would have fallen on deaf ears on the Pyramid or Other stage, and they're just one of many.

I enjoyed most of what I saw, and there were loads of traditional guitar based bands, amazing ones, and loads of new stuff too.

Let's be honest most of us here are too old to be into the likes of Stormzy or Billie Eilish - but a good proportion of attendees are young - who the fuck is anyone to dictate what they should listen to? 

The sound mix wasn't always great but overall I thought there was something for everyone, from jazz to rock, grime, pop, indie, techno..

Highlight for me was seeing Kamasi Washington play, the guy is incredible, but the best performance was The Cure, I just thought they sounded amazing beginning to end.

18 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

If Robert Smith could sing I'd get it. Nostalgia, goth rock, darkness and heroin. Great. But I just cannot get how anyone could listen to that nasally, annoying whine of his, he is objectively a shit singer with a terrible voice. There's no way around that. It's all about his kooky persona and being "Robert Smith". Fuck off with that pretentious, miserable bullshit.

;)

I watched a good 30mins on TV of Billy Eilish and whilst I'm sure I'm not her target demographic as a 49y old bloke it was great - I'd never even heard of her before, not sure the daylight setting helped her as she has some lovely off kilter odd sounding backing tracks - don't think she sang much of it live either but I was quite impressed and for 17y old she seemed a rather fully formed act that knew where she was heading.

Watching on TV a lot of the vocals I heard sounded a little off, like there was some autotune or clean up being applied to them and they weren't just being transmitted as they were performed.

32 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

What a fucking terrible line up. I’d rather watch Kylie than 95% of the dross on there.

6FB83E83-A277-4159-B63B-08BF980658B2.jpeg

I went to this one and it was fucking brilliant. Archaos juggling chainsaws on the original Pyramid Stage was a highlight.

Everyone knows 90% of the best stuff is always off the main stages anyway.

1 minute ago, Uncle Nasty said:

People are fucking stupid?

Or maybe she's a had 30 year career with countless hits that appeal to a broad audience? I don't know how many people were there watching her, but it was a lot, and they all looked like they were enjoying themselves. Her performance was fine.

It's not like there was a lack of anything else, if you were there then there's plenty of stages offering something different, if you're at home the BBC had most of everything else available on their website or via red button (although I can't find any thing to do with Slaves who I'm sure we're playing on the same stage as Babymetal and Bring Me The Horizon). Kylie's not my cup of tea, but as a performer who can still draw a huge crowd after 30 years of recording pop songs I'd not say no to her being at Glastonbury and that "Glastonbury have sold out" comment is laughable, it's not like it's some underground event, it's the biggest music festival in the country and one of the biggest in the world.

By the way, I don’t know why people get in a tizzo (clever Lizzo wordplay, cheers) over the performances. I’ve been four times I think, and never managed to see more than four or five stage gigs at any of them, there’s too much going on.

Mind you, I have seen both Leonard Cohen and Al Green at Glastonbury, so you might well argue there’s no point seeing anyone else.

3 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

There were some good highlights, but overall it felt like Glastonbury is struggling with its "identity". The Killers and The Cure were great, both felt like good festival type of concerts. There were a few other bands on the smaller stages, like Jungle, that again were great but different music to your traditional festival guitar focused stuff. 

But watching Christine and the Queens (despite having a good album), Kylie Minogue, Janet Jackson was like watching a shit, cut down version version of a Michael Jackson/Justin Timberlake concert where dancers had more presence than the musicians did. 

This paragraph on the BBC totally summed it up

Go back to the lineup for 1990's Glastonbury

1990Poster.thumb.jpg.772f6a9b40782957c47d129e59d60774.jpg

Guess who's not on that flyer but did play in 1990... The Cure. It maybe shows how Glastonbury has lost its identify (or just sold out) when they've got Kylie Fucking Minogue playing "Better the Devil You Know".

Good review of the BBC coverage of Glastonbury there.

How do 1983's headliners UB40 compare, do you reckon? Or 1993's Lenny fucking Kravitz?

35 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Janelle Monae is bleedy brilliant :wub:

Not watched that one yet as it clashed with The Cure but I've heard good things, will watch later. 

Did anyone see Miley Cyrus? Jesus she looked terrible, but I like that song with Mark Ronson.

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I went to this one and it was fucking brilliant. Archaos juggling chainsaws on the original Pyramid Stage was a highlight.

Everyone knows 90% of the best stuff is always off the main stages anyway.

I was there too and can only remember the Cure and Happy Mondays. I blame the cakes that were sold to me in one of the fields.

1 minute ago, sofasurfer said:

I was there too and can only remember the Cure and Happy Mondays. I blame the cakes that were sold to me in one of the fields.

Happy Mondays were shit live, so that proves you were all off your faces. You'll be telling me Delamitri were great next.

16 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Happy Mondays were shit live, so that proves you were all off your faces. You'll be telling me Delamitri were great next.

Christ, there's not enough drugs in the world to make them sound good.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

If Kylie could sing I'd get it. Nostalgia, pop songs, sun and booze. Great. But I just cannot get how anyone could listen to that nasally, annoying whine of hers, she is objectively a shit singer with a terrible voice. There's no way around that. It's all about her looks and being "Kylie". Fuck off with that kitsch, ironic bullshit.

Has anyone mentioned how terrible Liam Gallagher was as well? I thought he really struggled after a decent start with Rock n Roll star. The faux-Beatlisms are horribly lumpen and dated now and the downtempo tracks in his set dragged it down even more. It was a real slog to get to the end of that. His band all look completely bored as well with their dressed by mum mod outfits and lego hair.

The Good The Bad and the Queen were decent, good festival band.

I was just about to say how awful that Damon Albarn act was. Terrible wank. 

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

he said he remembers them. no comment made about quality.

10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I was just about to say how awful that Damon Albarn act was. Terrible wank. 

they were utterly dire - I'm normally in the camp that there isn't good or bad music, just stuff you do and don't like but they were shite 

plus the few people standing around politely watching had the air of a crowd watching a 6th form band playing at the summer fete.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

If people really can't dig any deeper than the Locomotion or I Should Be So Lucky to find something that they like, then I fucking despair, I really do.

I read this as Uncle saying "people should have been able to find SOMETHING in the Kylie set to like - there is more to her than just the early PWL songs"

Did I get that wrong? I'm no Kylie fan, but I thought the Roses/Slow/Fashion/Confide was a classic run of songs and a Glastonbury highlight

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

Complete bullshit.

It was Lizzo who won Glastonbury!

spacer.png

Indeed, Lizzo is far more interesting then a bunch of pensioner goths playing some songs from 30 years ago.

47 minutes ago, Brunceling said:

I read this as Uncle saying "people should have been able to find SOMETHING in the Kylie set to like - there is more to her than just the early PWL songs"

Did I get that wrong? I'm no Kylie fan, but I thought the Roses/Slow/Fashion/Confide was a classic run of songs and a Glastonbury highlight

Yeah you read it wrong, he's saying that there is nothing more to her.

I mean as if she's gonna appear at Glastonbury in the Sunday afternoon legacy artist slot and not do those songs. 

That'd be like The Cure not doing The Lovecats ;)

Yep. If you're saying Glastonbury has gone to the dogs/it was better in my day then for me, the festival is doing its job. 

Stormzy was one of the most impressive sets I've seen there and I'd heard one of his songs before the show. It's not my thing but surrounded by shit loads of different artists and acts that are my thing it worked perfectly. 

• Stanley changed the title to Glastonbury new for 2022 (includes 2019 chat)