Zelda Cel-Shading

NEG

I'm in no way anti-Nintendo.

And I'm sure I didn't use the term fanboy in your case. I'm just sick to death of the reverence people have for Nintendo. They're just another company after all.

How many times have I read "Oh, its dull, oh the travelling's too long, oh it's so empty..." and then this is followed by "but it's genius."

Of course it is. :)

Try to imagine what it's like from the outside looking in. Its fine if you loved Wind Waker and I didn't. That is just fine. I'll accept that you maybe got more joy from the lovely characterisation within the animation than I did. But it's not genius. It's not up to the standard of the previous titles. It's Zelda-lite. It's shockingly unchallenging. We can at least agree on that.

But lets all drop the anti-Nintendo crap. I'm not being anti-Nintendo, I'm being anti-Wind Waker. I paid for it, so have every right to state that I think it's juvenile shit. Just like you have every right to praise it.

Anyway, who needs to be anti-Nintendo these days. They're slitting their own throats well enough.

I'll save my reverence for Konami, thanks.

It is a beautiful game, and the engine is fantastic, but it's surprising that on a forum where a lot of people are looked down on for being 'graphics whores' there's so few people seeing that the game itself is nothing special.

Apart from the style of Wind Waker, its very ho-hum. If it did have the same engine as Ocarina of Time, it would be exposed for what it is. A very unimaginative, uninspiring retread.

DAMN RIGHT!

Everone has been defending all of my points regarding the gameplay by stating how good looking it is. The game is a step backward from OoT. The graphics were great. some of the best no doubt about it BUT the style wasnt right. The only part that resembled anything remotely the previous games in terms of style was hyrule castle which was magnificent.

And I'm sure I didn't use the term fanboy in your case. I'm just sick to death of the reverence people have for Nintendo. They're just another company after all.

What you're describing is fanboyism. Personally I'll continue to like Nintendo as long as they produce great games, so far although this generations games haven't been as revolutionary as the previous, they still produce great games that entertain me, and generally I've found that Nintendo first party games are of good quality.

My personal opinion is that Zelda:WW is a great game. I base this on the fact that I put 20 hours into playing it and enjoyed it immensely. Is it better than OoT? Maybe not, but not every game can be the best game ever. Doesn't mean that a excellent game like WW needs to be treated like it's some utter piece of crap.

I'm in no way anti-Nintendo.

How many times have I read "Oh, its dull, oh the travelling's too long, oh it's so empty..." and then this is followed by "but it's genius."

Of course it is. :)

Try to imagine what it's like from the outside looking in. Its fine if you loved Wind Waker and I didn't. That is just fine. I'll accept that you maybe got more joy from the lovely characterisation within the animation than I did. But it's not genius. It's not up to the standard of the previous titles. It's Zelda-lite. It's shockingly unchallenging. We can at least agree on that.

But lets all drop the anti-Nintendo crap. I'm not being anti-Nintendo, I'm being anti-Wind Waker. I paid for it, so have every right to state that I think it's juvenile shit. Just like you have every right to praise it.

Anyway, who needs to be anti-Nintendo these days. They're slitting their own throats well enough.

I'll save my reverence for Konami, thanks.

But you are anti-Nintendo. This thread being a TWW thread just allowed you to be anti-TWW as well!

I judge TWW on the experience I had from playing it. And I loved the game. I agree it wasn't as challenging/ frustrating as OoT was at times but there was just so much to do and see.

The biggest mistake that Nintendo made is that they failed to appreciate the peer pressure that any self-respecting teenager is under in the UK (or maybe the West come to that) nowadays. Unfortunately they cannot be seen dead playing something that doesn't include driving, gratuitous murder, 'street-wise' swearing, drugs and prostitutes. Oh and as for colours, its got to be urban greys and browns for crying out loud. They also failed to recognise the laddish culture of the UK that exists for the twenty-somethings (most recent example being the topless hairdressers just opening in Glasgow or whereever) making such games unlikely to appeal to them either (it hasn't got tits in).

But can you imagine a Nintendo game that tried to pander to this? Would you buy it?

Personally I think the game would have been much better with 'realistic' graphics.

So much of the landscape and dungeons are dull to look at. Granted, the fire mountain dungeon looks spectacular, and when there is a storm and the sea is really rough it can look amazing.

For a game where exploration was the main attraction, it was a shame that there wasn't really that much worth looking at.

IMO of course.

The biggest mistake that Nintendo made is that they failed to appreciate the peer pressure that any self-respecting teenager is under in the UK (

Only those lacking in self-respect feel under pressure surely?

I don't think Nintendo are unaware of the Xbox style aesthetic that is preferred by a many people; they simply choose not to persue that.

The biggest mistake that Nintendo made is that they failed to appreciate the peer pressure that any self-respecting teenager is under in the UK (or maybe the West come to that) nowadays. Unfortunately they cannot be seen dead playing something that doesn't include driving, gratuitous murder, 'street-wise' swearing, drugs and prostitutes. Oh and as for colours, its got to be urban greys and browns for crying out loud. They also failed to recognise the laddish culture of the UK that exists for the twenty-somethings (most recent example being the topless hairdressers just opening in Glasgow or whereever) making such games unlikely to appeal to them either (it hasn't got tits in).

I find the attitude that 'oh, Nintendo are great for not pandering to the masses' (which really means 'Nintendo don't actually have a clue') is still defended in this immature way. Because the majority of Nintendo games are so blindingly obviously kiddy-styled they are criticised. Note: if a game isn't 'kiddy', it isn't automatically all guns-a-blazing, sex orgy, mass swearathon - is Rez? Ico? Amplitude? Prince of Persia? Wario Ware? Jet Set Radio etc.? No, they obviously aren't.

People get annoyed at Nintendo because they tell us what we want. We know what we want. They don't listen.

Guest Two Heavens

Nintendo are perfectly entitled to do whatever they want. After all, you don't have to buy it. Buy something you do want. Vote with your wallet, you consumer whores.

Anyway: Wind Waker. Mostly looks amazing, but there's the odd bland bit. Given that the game is pretty much half finished, I don't really find that surprising. I can't think of anything worse than a Zelda game like the Space World demo. Waxy shiny rendering is just so hideously naff. Zelda has always been cartoon-like. In the end it just took one step closer thanks to advancing technology.

Personally I think the game would have been much better with 'realistic' graphics.

So much of the landscape and dungeons are dull to look at.  Granted, the fire mountain dungeon looks spectacular, and when there is a storm and the sea is really rough it can look amazing.

For a game where exploration was the main attraction, it was a shame that there wasn't really that much worth looking at.

IMO of course.

Pearls before swine...

:D

I could watch those clouds change from day to night and storm to calm all day long.

In fact I would decribe the sky in WW to be the most realistic depiction of the sky that I have ever seen in a video game, by a long way.

I bought WW for the cel-shaded graphics. I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

I'm probably going to sell it anyway (it's just not my sort of game - even with the great graphics).

Me too!

I'm not going to sell it though.

I might put it on and wander about a bit, just too look at how pretty it is.

Me too!

I'm not going to sell it though.

I might put it on and wander about a bit, just too look at how pretty it is.

Yes, to be honest I will probably keep it. More as a peice of art and history than as a game though.

I very much doubt I'll play it enough to come anywhere near to completing it though.

I could watch those clouds change from day to night and storm to calm all day long.

In fact I would decribe the sky in WW to be the most realistic depiction of the sky that I have ever seen in a video game, by a long way.

I always think that when I sit in the boat and just watch the clouds form, the sun rise and the morning heat haze dissapates... It's breathtakingly beautiful.

And I also love the way you can see through the sail when you get close to it but not from a distance. A little touch, I'm sure, but the amount of time I zoomed and out and in cannot be understated.

TWW is a blindingly lovely game.

Yes, to be honest I will probably keep it. More as a peice of art and history than as a game though.

I very much doubt I'll play it enough to come anywhere near to completing it though.

I spent more time playing Battleships than the actual game.

SPLISH!

And I also love the way you can see through the sail when you get close to it but not from a distance. A little touch, I'm sure, but the amount of time I zoomed and out and in cannot be understated.

Hmmm... wasn't that just a cheeky way to stop the sail from obstructing your view?

I didn't like that much - made me remember it was still 'just a game', or something. :D Hmmm...

Hmmm... wasn't that just a cheeky way to stop the sail from obstructing your view?

I didn't like that much - made me remember it was still 'just a game', or something. :D Hmmm...

No. The sail is solid at a distance like a very thin fabric would be, but see through as you get closer to it. Not cheating at all. And the sail never obscured your view as if travelling and looking straight ahead I always pulled the camera up behind the boat to see. Tis a lovely touch and one which I shall not be cheated out of.

No. The sail is solid at a distance like a very thin fabric would be, but see through as you get closer to it. Not cheating at all. And the sail never obscured your view as if travelling and looking straight ahead I always pulled the camera up behind the boat to see. Tis a lovely touch and one which I shall not be cheated out of.

B...b...but, the mast goes see-through as well, not just the sail. Take a look... or erm, don't. Don't wanna shatter your illusions now... :D

B...b...but, the mast goes see-through as well, not just the sail. Take a look... or erm, don't. Don't wanna shatter your illusions now... :D

I never noticed the mast. Does... Does it... Really? :D:(

I'll have a look tonight.

:( at you for ruining one of my gaming illusions!

;)

Nintendo are perfectly entitled to do whatever they want. After all, you don't have to buy it. Buy something you do want. Vote with your wallet, you consumer whores.

We are voting with our wallets. That's why Nintendo are heading up shit creek.

Guest Two Heavens

Hey, I'd love to see Nintendo blow the hell up in a fiery conflagration as much as the next red-blooded, meat-eating, woman-sexing PS2 owner, but...that's not really the case...

...because rgraves and Hawkeye are still around. Haw-haw!

Ah, the lovely "UK = Rest of the World" rllmuk perception rears its ugly head again. Remember folks, just because the neds and townies aren't buying Zelda, didn't stop it being the number 5 selling game of 2003 in the USA (a much bigger and more important market for Nintendo) selling something like 1.5 million copies. It was beat out of the number 1 spot by Madden, NFSU and the 2 Pokemons. Yes, Nintendo are clearly shit at marketing games - there are only 4 Nintendo games in the top 10 if you include Double Dash. The rest are PS2 games BTW.

Pearls before swine...

:D

Great, £40 to watch a realistic sky. I've got that out of my window thank you very much.

Oh, and sorry for posting an opinion that doesn't match yours. I'll try not to do that again old chum.

Great, £40 to watch a realistic sky.  I've got that out of my window thank you very much.

Oh, and sorry for posting an opinion that doesn't match yours.  I'll try not to do that again old chum.

Hey, no problem. Opinions are what the board is here for )

The realistic sky comment is just a half hearted counter to all those complaining that Zelda would look better if it was realistic, as it ironically contains some of the most realistic graphics I've ever seen, along with some pretty, cartoony stuff.