IGNORED

Gaming grudges

joemul

In the Virtua Racing thread a few people have mentioned how much they’d love the Ridge Racer games to be released for Switch.

It made me realise, after years as an ardent Saturn owner, i’ve still never played any of the Ridge Racer, Tekken, or Time Crisis series, purely because they were the direct* competition to Sega’s offerings (Virtua Racing, Daytona, Sega Rally, Virtua Cops, Virtua Fighter).

Even now, if they were rereleased i don’t think i’d bother buying them, and it still annoys me that people rate them. 

I’m the same with Fifa. Eventually bought a version about 3 years ago, and have spent every opportunity since slagging it off as being shiite compared to Pro Ev (older versions - not bought a new one for a few years).

I’m a biff, aren’t i?

What gaming grudges do YOU hold?

*inferior

I don't have any more modern ones but still wouldn't play C64 games, Atari ST games or mega drive titles even in a streaming emulator or rom situation.

I picked sides years ago and my speccie, Amiga and SNES credentials still hold firm.

Then not so much a grudge but from the Megadrive/SNES era I still to this day assume any game Sonic is in will be crap.

I always had this about Forza Motorsport. I always thought it was just a shit Gran Turismo clone on Micro$ofts rubbish EggsBox. PlayStation for life, yo. All this is helped by the fact I used to work for Sony and have my name in the credits of the PAL version of the original GT.

Turns out I'm wrong and I now the Forza is a superior game. The 360 iterations are definitely better than the GT equivalents.

29 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Can only think of being a Speccy kid, and an Amiga kid.

Death to C64 and ST.

I had a speccy and  a c64 , and an Amiga but never an ST. Far from being reticent to play an ST I keep almost buying one to see what I missed out on. 

I’d like Ridge racer, Daytona & Sega Rally on the Switch!

Ive had pretty much all the main stream consoles and a few curios so don’t have any loyalty therefore no grudges either, I mean there are a few factual things like Nintendo are the best and Sony the worst, Mario is better than Sonic etc etc but facts can’t be grudges!

EA.

They're run by awful awful people who don't like games.

Far cry from when old Trip Hawkins was there. Sure, he was a fucking muppet and liked to make wild claims on how great the 3DO was, but he was clearly well into whatever whacky shit he was peddling.

I'm willing to forgive them all if they remaster the Mass Effect games, mind.

I have a massive grudge about game pricing, which is escalated by the massive choice of other things you can be doing instead.   Last Gen, I'd eagerly await the release of the big new game and I'd be there on day one, £40 in hand, ready to be one of the first to play.  I'd devote hours of my time into the game and play it right through if I liked it.   Today, I think £60 is too much and most games have season passes, DLC, loot and other further expense, and I feel a genuine grievance about that - it's too much to pay and I resent that.  And there are so many games that I'll never end up buying and playing all of them.  So if it's no hardship to buy one game today and get the rest later when they fall in price, why not just get them all when they fall in price?  Do I really NEED to be playing it right now, when I have so many other games here already?  

Instead of the big new release I could be playing the big name game from last month, or last year, even last gen, and it's still going to look great and play well.  I don't wish to sound like I'm being mean and tight fisted, but I just don't think I'll play 99% of the current games enough to justify the outlay, and the majority of games drop in price massively in a very short space of time. 

I remember loving Bulletstorm (£2.98 on Xbox 360 in 2012) and seeing a remake was in the works, I was excited to play it.  But not excited enough to pay £35 for it, knowing full well that this is exactly the sort of thing that would drop in price quickly.  I picked it up for a tenner at Game about 3 months after release and it was every bit as good as I remembered.  

I also have a grudge against any game that you buy in store that also has in-app purchases that you just know would have previously had that content included last gen.  I'm thinking stuff like loot boxes in Battlefield 2 where it's a nightmare to unlock Leia, Luke, Darth Vader, Solo etc.  Or the cars in Forza that you can buy with in game currency instead of earning them  (leading to accusations of the game being artificially tedious and repetitive to encourage players to spend cash instead of earning the cars through play - in a £60 game why should you be paying to unlock these cars at all?), the cheek of the latest Guitar Hero having fewer songs than previous versions and extra DLC.  To hell with it all, there's so much choice, I can ignore these games and I don't feel like I'm missing out. 

I haven't paid full price for a game for a couple of years.  Also, Facebook Marketplace has loads of people who buy a game, play it to death for a couple of weeks then sell it on.  I got Resident Evil 2 Remake for £25 two weeks after it was released.  Tomorrow I am picking up Dangerous Driving from Game for £19.99.  I just really enjoyed Split Second for £2.98 on Xbox Store last month, Doom VFR for £12 at Argos.  The last thing I bought at remotely full price was Blood and Truth which I paid £30 for at Argos, played through to completion and then sold on Facebook 2 weeks later for £25.  

It is a grudge thing - I just don't think 99% of games are generally worth £50 to £60.  The collectors edition with season pass at £75 can fuck right off, it's ludicrous.   The last games I paid genuine full price for were Mario Odyssey and Zelda on Switch and they are the only games I can think of that I was interested in, and believe were genuinely worth that money. Also, you know they will hold their value, so when I didn't enjoy Zelda, I traded it in for almost what I paid, and I'd owned it for 6 months.

A lot of the time, my interest and excitement wears off before the price drops anyway.  I was hyped for Red Dead Redemption 2 last year and I nearly bought it.  8 months later it is piled high in every Cash Generator in the country, and I've seen it on sale for £14.99 in store and a tenner on Facebook.  But in the interim period, I followed the thread on here and saw everyone complaining about the controls, the bugs etc - I realised this wasn't my type of game and I don't fancy it at all now.   Last generation I'd have been there at the midnight store opening, ready to drop £40 on the big hyped game.  This time I saw it was £60, and there was another edition at £79 and a collectors pack at £99. To this day I don't know what the differences are in each version and I don't really care.  For the last 25 years I've gone into games shops and bought a full, complete product for the RRP and the idea of buying something at £60, knowing there's less in the box than if I'd paid £80 just seems crazy to me. 

(Just to add, products are always sold at the price the market will bear.  Games could be cheaper by default, but we've proven that we'll pay £60 and we've proven that we'll buy all the DLC on top, we've even proven we will pay £2 for a graphic of a hat or some sunglasses, so it's never going to change.

8 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

It's not really a grudge, more an observation, but all PlayStation controllers are just the worst, and anyone who disagrees is wrong and should feel bad for not buying a Dreamcast.

Wait, maybe it is a grudge. PlayStation pads are shit, though.

Hang on the DC controller is an abomination. Possibly even worse than the Gamecube controller.

12 hours ago, Gotters said:

Then not so much a grudge but from the Megadrive/SNES era I still to this day assume any game Sonic is in will be crap.

To be fair that's largely true.

I think I have quite the dislike of Rockstar these days. It comes from falling for hype with GTA a few times (San Andreas, China Town and V) and finding these great open worlds spoiled by horrendous mission design and writing. I also just don't like how popular their relentless pessimism and cynicism is. Or how they get plaudits for easy piss-takes of other industries for underhand practices in GTA, while overworking their employees and overcharging for in-game credit in GTA Online. Or how they seem almost immune to criticism, as long as they keep making those detailed open worlds. Most of all it probably annoys me that when RDR2 came out, I was still briefly tempted. But from what I've seen it seems I was right to resist.

26 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I think I have quite the dislike of Rockstar these days. It comes from falling for hype with GTA a few times (San Andreas, China Town and V) and finding these great open worlds spoiled by horrendous mission design and writing. I also just don't like how popular their relentless pessimism and cynicism is. Or how they get plaudits for easy piss-takes of other industries for underhand practices in GTA, while overworking their employees and overcharging for in-game credit in GTA Online. Or how they seem almost immune to criticism, as long as they keep making those detailed open worlds. Most of all it probably annoys me that when RDR2 came out, I was still briefly tempted. But from what I've seen it seems I was right to resist.

Oh my god yes, and yet even when their new game has obviously garbage controls and the exact same shitty missions and structure again it’s 10’s across the board because reviewers just fucking love that one shit game Rockstar have been running into the ground for eighteen years.

There are plenty of sandbox games with good controls and even GTA-likes with good combat on top of that. And yet for some reason Rockstar's big budget sandbox experiences never get judged on their gameplay. I just agree to disagree with the rest of the world on GTA :)

9 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

It's not really a grudge, more an observation, but all PlayStation controllers are just the worst, and anyone who disagrees is wrong and should feel bad for not buying a Dreamcast.

Wait, maybe it is a grudge. PlayStation pads are shit, though.

It's bizarre that Sony continue to design their pads with that stick alignment. It must be a pride thing. Even Nintendo have now accepted that the Xbox configuration is optimal.

2 minutes ago, Hylian said:

It's bizarre that Sony continue to design their pads with that stick alignment. It must be a pride thing. Even Nintendo have now accepted that the Xbox configuration is optimal.

Agreed on the stick alignment, Sony should get with the times. But it's not a deal breaker for me, I can play on a PS4 controller just fine.

What does annoy me is going from an Xbox to a Nintendo console and the buttons confusing the shit out of me while I adjust my brain. I don't care whether it's A-B or B-A, but now that Microsoft and Nintendo are so buddy buddy they should agree on one standard layout and both stick to it.

I absolutely hate EA.  I'm not certain that's a grudge in the sense your meaning but it's definitely one to me.

This recent stuff with 'surprise mechanic' not loot boxes is icing on the cake.  What better than to try and hide gambling in children.  

Games should be about fun but literally the whole reason for EA to exist is to work out a method to sell more loot boxes/ packs.  The game is entirely secondary.

1 hour ago, Hylian said:

I still don't get this. If the playstation way is bad, then is the Xbox way half bad and the Wii U Pro Controller is the only good one ever?