IGNORED

Older games you've got the sudden urge to revisit

mdn2

Playing Super Mario 3D Land at the moment, and its almost annoying perfection, lacking in any hard edges, has had me hankering after the messier Super Mario Sunshine.

For every camera nightmare in Hotel Dolphino, or frustrating blue coin, there’s a spinning catapult off a tightrope at the top of Noki Bay or a high-speed dash around Rico Harbour with your jetpack attachment.

It’s just awesome. Shame there’s probably too much analogue nuance in the R-trigger control of FLUDD, that a remake wouldn’t work quite right on the Switch.

5 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Alice: Madness Returns hasn't really aged, as it feels as odd to play now as it did when it came out.

Its still as utterly brilliant and bizarre as it was on release.

Although to be fair it always had bits that looked like they’d come out of PS2 game and others that would pass for current gen at the time.

On 06/07/2019 at 19:47, rgraves said:

You’d be missing out. It doesn’t start well, but it gets better as it goes on and is a very good game by the end. Contains some truly brilliant level design. The opening is a mis-step, but it deffo sorts itself out.

It’s not as good as Prime. But then, that’s a pretty exclusive club.

That might be another reason why I quit it. I remember going into MP2 with similar expectations, and ended up disappointed, never actually finishing the game. Still, sounds like I should give it another go then.

I really hope MP4 will be the triumphant return of the series.

On 07/07/2019 at 14:01, Benny said:

And of course after Raptor I then went on to play all day:

maxresdefault.jpg

More shooters should have shops where you can buy stuff and upgrade and customize between levels. Are there any decent modern shmups that let you do that?

Tyrian 2000 is one of my favorite shooter of all time. Such a shame that there isn't Switch version.

Other than Tyrian 2000 I keep coming back to Rez and Halo 1. They're more than just amazing games, they're amazing experiences. Creatures 2 and Lightforce on the C64 also come up every time I get nostalgic.

Limited Run Games sent an email showing that they are taking pre-orders for the original Red Faction releases on then PS4. That brought me a bit of an urge to get it and replay again, but I’ve been waiting 6 and a half months Celeste and something else from them. I really enjoyed Red Faction at the time. 

24 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Not exactly in the same league as most things discussed in this thread but I rebought Mad Max as I've had sufficient time from burning out on it to want to play it again. It's very samey but very moreish too.

I had this on PlayStation Plus and never even installed it, I know some people really love the game it was just another title to make HDD space for. 

I may have to give it a try if it's that atmospheric when I've finished my second play through on Detroit. 

6 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

I had this on PlayStation Plus and never even installed it, I know some people really love the game it was just another title to make HDD space for. 

I may have to give it a try if it's that atmospheric when I've finished my second play through on Detroit. 

If you do play it the trick is to not burn out on collecting shit as it doesn't gradually ease you in, it just kicks you out into the world and goes "Have fun!". It's great though.

Watching a lot of golf the past few days, had the urge to play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004. Arcade rather than a sim, it was still one of the most enjoyable sports games I can remember playing.

The Highlands and The Predator we’re menacing fantasy courses; vaguely remember a couple of the shortcuts. Would have been fun to see those courses added to the most-recent McIlroy-emblazoned version, even if that game was a generally poor update for the series.

*stares wistfully into the distance, ignoring the catcalls about applying spin when a ball is already in flight*

I loved Tiger Woods 2004 it was my favourite golf game, booting it up to DMX you know it's not going to be a true sim. It was one of the first detailed character create I used and I spent hours just making a virtual me. 

Levelling up until you're finishing competitions 60 under at least. Spinning the ball wildly as it flies, it was such a fun game. 

I got the sudden urge to play through Portal 2 again, but then thought it would be silly not to spend the two hours it takes to play Portal 1 first, so that's what I did today.

Even though the portal gun doesn't have the same novelty value as it did in 2007, breaking out of the lab and into the guts of Aperture Science is still a great moment.