rllmuk
Nick R

River City Girls - pixel art scrolling beat 'em up by WayForward/Arc System Works

I played a bit past the first boss on my lunch break. Visuals are ace. Music goes from good to amazing. Fighting seems solid. It's harder than I thought but very generous with checkpointing.

Also my first River City game. The only thing I'm not keen on is the dash on the stick. It feels awkward to pull off in a hurry. I'm going to see if I can use the dpad on my new Hori left joycon when I get home tonight.

I also need to learn how to block properly. Liking it so far.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

It's just silly, not creepy.

It's definitely creepy and having schoolgirls buying bras and chokers makes accusations of sexualising them hard to defend.

• Upvote 1

I really like the visuals

EDyAqp-UwAA2m0l?format=jpg&name=large

EDyAqp8UwAEjxVw?format=jpg&name=large

EDyAqp-VAAUEWBO?format=jpg&name=large

EDyAqqIVUAUBMlh?format=jpg&name=large

I'm still early on so haven't bought a new bra yet but it doesn't feel sexualised at all so far. Just pretty silly, "Rikki-poo!"

• Upvote 4

This is really, really good. The artwork, the comic bits, the animation, the satisfying combat, the incredible soundtrack.

14 minutes ago, deKay said:

This is really, really good. The artwork, the comic bits, the animation, the satisfying combat, the incredible soundtrack.

Soundtrack is really good. Especially when a vocal track kicks in

On 04/07/2019 at 11:16, Nick R said:

I saw someone point out that the copyright screen at the end also mentions Double Dragon.

And I just found out why.

Spoiler

Abobo!

On 04/07/2019 at 11:20, deKay said:

Bimmy and Jimmy are in it.

This was a joke but holy shit it was true.

• Upvote 1

I've completed the game now, so I'm just going to respond to some comments from previous posters:

On 06/09/2019 at 07:15, iknowgungfu said:

Curb stomp your enemies? Suitable from ages 10+. :unsure:

As a 37 year I am tempted but not sure I fancy my future 10 year old reenacting the fun times on the game curb stomping his/her enemies!

You just stomp them when they're down. You don't "curb stomp" them, and it's all cartoony and you don't see anything. There's no gore or blood or anything in the whole game. You also stomp your partner when they die in order to resurrect them!

It's also worth noting that there aren't any guns in the game. Well, there's one guy with a gun but he doesn't use it. Or even fight you.

On 06/09/2019 at 08:56, Popo said:

The eShop icon rather plays up the ‘teenage girls in short skirts’ angle, doesn’t it? My friend immediately discredited it as yet another gross piece of shovelware designed to entice randy sorts to part with their money in exchange for some titillation. 

On 06/09/2019 at 09:13, Rex Grossman said:

I think my daughter (admittedly under 10) would enjoy this but I'm not keen on her playing something that is sexualising schoolgirls. That bothers me more than the cartoony violence,

There is nothing sexual* in the entire game. And that includes a sauna. A few guys call the girls pretty and ask them on dates and stuff, but Kyoko and Misako always call them gross and slap them down with words and/or fists.

* There's a bit at the end where two guys wonder if two girls (not the two main ones) are "around tonight" with a sly wink. That's follows on from the two girls suggesting the same thing with the same level of detail about the two boys previously. That's it. There was literally worse than this on Millie Inbetween on CBBC last week.

On 06/09/2019 at 09:42, Rex Grossman said:

Wait, do you buy bras and chokers as upgrades? Eew.

You don't change clothes at all. You buy clothes, accessories, necklaces (chokers), earrings, makeup, scissors, etc. to equip as stat buffs. Some of these are bras, "tops" and "bottoms". None of them are overtly sexual, and none of them change your appearance at all.

There are precisely zero "sexy schoolgirls" in the game, and I saw nothing - violence, language (worst word was "crap") or content - that I wouldn't have wanted my 10 year old daughter to see. In fact, we played the whole game in co-op. She absolutely loved it. I almost thought there was going to be an issue early on - you go through a classroom where they're showing a video about puberty... but it's actually something totally different.

And, actually, the gender reversal (and the way the girls tell the end boss how they appreciate the number of women in her criminal organisation), is actually pretty positive.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

19 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

I ended up buying anyway. Seems ok so far although I can't parry to save my life. 

You can parry?

@deKay If somebody asked you why you are buying bras in this game to get a buff, what would you say? The fact it isn't overtly sexual isn't necessarily the point - the point is, what place does it have in the game at all? It's just such a weird thing to include and I can't think of a single good reason for that choice.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

@deKay If somebody asked you why you are buying bras in this game to get a buff, what would you say?

I'd say you buy clothes for buffs and as they're girls they're (mostly) girls' clothes.

You buy clothes for the boys in River City Ransom, IIRC, so it's not like they magic'd dress-up out of nowhere just for this.

You're reading too much into it.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, deKay said:

I've completed the game now, so I'm just going to respond to some comments from previous posters…

This is really useful – thanks.

12 hours ago, deKay said:

I'd say you buy clothes for buffs and as they're girls they're (mostly) girls' clothes.

You buy clothes for the boys in River City Ransom, IIRC, so it's not like they magic'd dress-up out of nowhere just for this.

You're reading too much into it.

Just to play Devils advocate a little bit - do you buy the guys underwear in River City Ransom (I've never played it)? For what it's worth I agree the character designs are not overtly sexualised from the small amount of the game I've played. 

20 hours ago, deKay said:

You can parry?

Apparently... Think there is an achievement for it. 

58 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Just to play Devils advocate a little bit - do you buy the guys underwear in River City Ransom (I've never played it)? For what it's worth I agree the character designs are not overtly sexualised from the small amount of the game I've played. 

I remember buying shoes. I don't know what else there was.

58 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Apparently... Think there is an achievement for it. 

No achievements on the Switch version ;)

I bought this in anticipation of a co-op gaming session with my nephews next week. It's really great! I love the feel of the fighting, the music is awesome and the story funny. It's just a lot of fun. 

Makes me wonder why I keep bothering with long, complex rpgs and such. I'm enjoying this a lot more than most of the other games I've played lately. 

• Upvote 2

Not really enjoying this as much as I was hoping. It looks amazing, but I don't like some aspects of the mechanics. I wish it felt more Street Gangs and less like Scott Pilgrim with its overpowered standard enemies that require loads of grinding in order to make decent progresses past them. The bosses are super grindy too, just like Pilgrim. Also isn't it 2019? Why is there no online multiplayer? I do like the wide range of moves and the Double Dragon cameos, but it's just not clicking with me the way Double Dragon Neon did.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, strider said:

Not really enjoying this as much as I was hoping. It looks amazing, but I don't like some aspects of the mechanics. I wish it felt more Street Gangs and less like Scott Pilgrim with its overpowered standard enemies that require loads of grinding in order to make decent progresses past them.

FWIW I didn't do any grinding and completed it. *Now* I'm grinding, but for money so I can buy everything in shops (not that I need them, just want to get them all). Standard enemies aren't overpowered at all, and if they're taking lots of hits, you're using the wrong moves. Misako's rolling punch clears crowds, then stomp them all, then pick one up to use as a weapon against the others. By then they'll be dizzy so you can grab them, punch them then throw them. Special moves do much more damage. Kick them up in the air then grab them mid-air with powerbomb, which seems to be the most powerful move in the game.

The only standard enemies which seem to take forever to beat are the terminators, but you don't even get them that often and they can still be beaten the same as the other.

7 hours ago, strider said:

The bosses are super grindy too, just like Pilgrim. Also isn't it 2019? Why is there no online multiplayer? I do like the wide range of moves and the Double Dragon cameos, but it's just not clicking with me the way Double Dragon Neon did.

No grinding for the bosses either, and since they have an energy bar (with clearly marked "stages") they're even easier to work out what they're going to do and how long you need to punch them for. In fact, all the bosses (bar Noize because, well, you'll see when you play) are quicker to take down than a room full of normal enemies.

That all said, I do remember a lot of grinding in Scott Pilgrim (and I didn't mind that). There just isn't any need to do any here.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, deKay said:

FWIW I didn't do any grinding and completed it. *Now* I'm grinding, but for money so I can buy everything in shops (not that I need them, just want to get them all). Standard enemies aren't overpowered at all, and if they're taking lots of hits, you're using the wrong moves. Misako's rolling punch clears crowds, then stomp them all, then pick one up to use as a weapon against the others. By then they'll be dizzy so you can grab them, punch them then throw them. Special moves do much more damage. Kick them up in the air then grab them mid-air with powerbomb, which seems to be the most powerful move in the game.

The only standard enemies which seem to take forever to beat are the terminators, but you don't even get them that often and they can still be beaten the same as the other.

No grinding for the bosses either, and since they have an energy bar (with clearly marked "stages") they're even easier to work out what they're going to do and how long you need to punch them for. In fact, all the bosses (bar Noize because, well, you'll see when you play) are quicker to take down than a room full of normal enemies.

That all said, I do remember a lot of grinding in Scott Pilgrim (and I didn't mind that). There just isn't any need to do any here.

I've picked up a few of the more basic moves now, which seem to combo along with your standard attack, so it's a little easier now. I'm using Kyoko and she doesn't seem to have that attack you've mentioned, so maybe that's why I'm struggling a little more. It is fun but I prefer Double Dragon Neon so far.

6 minutes ago, strider said:

I've picked up a few of the more basic moves now, which seem to combo along with your standard attack, so it's a little easier now. I'm using Kyoko and she doesn't seem to have that attack you've mentioned, so maybe that's why I'm struggling a little more. It is fun but I prefer Double Dragon Neon so far.

Kyoko has a cannonball attack which does more or less the same thing.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Kyoko has a cannonball attack which does more or less the same thing.

Is that a regular move? I'll have to look at the list again. I do like how diverse the range of attacks is once you start visiting the dojo.

2 minutes ago, strider said:

Is that a regular move? I'll have to look at the list again. I do like how diverse the range of attacks is once you start visiting the dojo.

No, you have to buy it.

Completed it. Really enjoyed it in the end. So much so I've ordered the physical version from Limited Run Games.

4 hours ago, strider said:

Completed it. Really enjoyed it in the end. So much so I've ordered the physical version from Limited Run Games.

SEEEE

Review in RG?