Thought this might be a good topic given that Mad Magazine is going to cease publishing new content. Which means probably years of reprinting Spy Vs Spy strips!

I loved this back in the day. I missed the window for buying it in the 80's but played all three games during it's second wind as magazine covermounts.

It's big novel thing was couch co-op  edit: competitive play with one of the early examples of split screen gaming.

The first one is probably the most focused of the three.

Some people back in the day preferred the Speccy version as being black and white made it truer to the source material.

Unless I've made misremembered, it's not co-op is it?

The second one was always my favourite. I'd play it now if I could get anyone sufficiently interested.

Good Master System version of the first.

1 minute ago, Camel said:

Unless I've made misremembered, it's not co-op is it?

The second one was always my favourite. I'd play it now if I could get anyone sufficiently interested.

Good Master System version of the first.

I've corrected that. What a brainlapse! It was responsible for many a session with my brother either crying or punching me or both in frustration.

44 minutes ago, Dudley said:

My generic answer for that would be "How different are they?".

Like if there had been a Fifa 95 and 96 for Amiga you should have done them all as one episode but separate Monkey Islands.

I'd argue that 2 and 3 are pretty much the same game in a different setting.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

My generic answer for that would be "How different are they?".

Like if there had been a Fifa 95 and 96 for Amiga you should have done them all as one episode but separate Monkey Islands.

If I do them in one its a bit of a pain in the bum as it needs to be a bumper episode, weeks of work :( But once it's done, its done and that's 3 off the library list :lol:

I had Island Caper on the Atari 800XL and I so wanted to love it... but after every single game, you had to rewind the tape and load it again. All 20 minutes of it. That really killed my eleven year old enthusiasm.

The SMS version was programmed by Yuji Naka himself, and fit on a Sega Card, making it 32Kb tops.

Great port, but I probably spent the most time with the spectrum version, which was somewhere on a random D90 full of treasure (I remember Psst being on there too).

There was a bit of a always win strategy against the AI - play with the airport door always visible, then barricade yourself in the airport room with electric eel traps. The AI would find all the kit, then die trying to get to the airport, at which point you could just lift it all and fly out of there. They never seemed to use an umbrella. 

I had the BBC Micro version but sadly could never convince my best mate at the time or my sisters to learn how to play it. I used to load it from time to time (about 20 minutes off tape...), stick it on the highest difficulty level and run through it against the computer, but it wasn't much of a challenge. it was an impressive game to cram in to 32k, with all the different trap death animations and the little floating angel spy when you died.

Years later I played the 2nd and 3rd games on the Amiga but I didn't think much of them compared to the original.