rllmuk
Parappa

The Dark Pictures Anthology – Man of Medan

This turned up today (technically yesterday but was in the work postbox and no one was in with a key... True story). Thats my weekend sorted :)

Fingers crossed its as enjoyable as Until Dawn and does become an Anthology, as I feel like they'll just drop the idea if it bombs. Kinda surprised at the lack of coverage compared to UD (or I've just not looked at much gaming news lately). 

Is this good? I rebought UD for my daughter to play through and it’s really very good at what it does. Metacritic seems high based on reviews but user score a lot more negative. I heard it’s short, which I’m fine with.

Put about 5 hours in over the past two nights in pass the pad mode and at the moment it's... good but not great imo.

I loved Until Dawn and the gameplay mechanics are all here but the setting and story just haven't managed to grab me as much. I'd still recommend it to big UD fans and still have to finish it so my current opinion could change.

• Upvote 1

I just finished it. It's decent, but it doesn't offer anything at all new if you've played Until Dawn. That game is so similar in fact that Supermassive seem to be retroactively positioning it as a pilot for The Dark Pictures, to the point where they share a theme song.

I still enjoyed this though, and I'm looking forward to Little Hope. I played it in one sitting without ever getting bored. I didn't manage to save everyone though. :ph34r:

Oh, actually there is one mechanic that's changed since Until Dawn. The "hold the pad still" thing has been swapped for a simple rhythm action thing, presumably because the series has gone multiformat. It's fine, but I thought the original mechanic was particularly brilliant in Until Dawn.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

this is like until dawn? now interested.

It's exactly like Until Dawn. It's by the same studio, and the start of an anthology series of further games using the same systems. If you liked Until Dawn you'll probably like this too. :)

• Upvote 1

Holy crap the main chick is actually one of my sister's friends from Bournemouth Uni. She's an artist but she models as her main gig, interested to see how she landed. 

The 2 player co-op in this is really quite good.

You go off and do your own stuff concurrently - but when you get back together the game/characters give enough of a recap so you understand what happened, but not enough that a "switched" playthrough would  be pointless.

Originaly chum and I were recounting moment for moment what the other was missing - but there's really no time or point.

7 minutes ago, Hexx said:

The 2 player co-op in this is really quite good.

You go off and do your own stuff concurrently - but when you get back together the game/characters give enough of a recap so you understand what happened, but not enough that a "switched" playthrough would  be pointless.

Originaly chum and I were recounting moment for moment what the other was missing - but there's really no time or point.

Online co-op?

Sounds interesting.

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Online co-op?

Sounds interesting.

Yeah 2 player online. 

Sometimes you're on the same scene (e.g. both walking around a boat talking to people)

Sometimes you're doing completely different things (e.g. one goes diving and has adventure A , one stays on the boat and does Adventure B)

How does the online coop work? Does the game encourage you to talk to each other over your headset, or are you both silently watching the cutscenes and dialogue?

1 minute ago, K said:

How does the online coop work? Does the game encourage you to talk to each other over your headset, or are you both silently watching the cutscenes and dialogue?

Bit of both.

We still talked socially and commeted on game (and you can pause game, and sometimes you can just put controller down) but if you are describing what you're seeing/experiencing you're doing it wrong.

17 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Bit of both.

We still talked socially and commeted on game (and you can pause game, and sometimes you can just put controller down) but if you are describing what you're seeing/experiencing you're doing it wrong.

Reading about it in Edge, I thought it sounded like a slightly odd arrangement, as story-heavy games tend not to work very well in online co-op - it always feels awkward when I'm playing a game in online co-op and have to shush people on chat because we've completed a level and I want to watch the cutscene. Like, when you're separated in-game, I assume you'd have to be quiet because you wouldn't want to talk over dialogue you can't hear. I assume there are kind of downtime bits where you're both in the same room and can catch-up, as it were.

6 hours ago, K said:

Reading about it in Edge, I thought it sounded like a slightly odd arrangement, as story-heavy games tend not to work very well in online co-op - it always feels awkward when I'm playing a game in online co-op and have to shush people on chat because we've completed a level and I want to watch the cutscene. Like, when you're separated in-game, I assume you'd have to be quiet because you wouldn't want to talk over dialogue you can't hear. I assume there are kind of downtime bits where you're both in the same room and can catch-up, as it were.

Yeah there's enough moments for you to stop and chat normally if you want. It's also normally both of you doing "active" things so you don't talk to each other as you'd miss what's happening.

And if something important things are happening you can say shush.

I've been really impressed and it makes me what to play again from the other side (and I've never replayed HR/UD etc)

• Upvote 1

Completed this for the first time just now. Pretty disappointed, wasn't anywhere near as coherent as Until Dawn. 

It seemed like we just missed massive chunks of the game, especially toward the end. There were cuts that made no sense or chara ters suddenly appearing that just left me totally baffled.  I'm guessing probably caused by dynamic events which ended up not happening for one reason or another. 

Lost one character right at the end due to what felt like an unfair qte (conrad got squished, there was no way I could've hammered that button fast enough without knowing it was coming), which also felt a bit crap. 

The 'editing' and continuity were just all over the pace. Really quite a shame because when it's good it's fantastic, but when it's bad it just made me want to give up playing.  I mean, we even saw a premonition that showed some characters we didn't recognise at all. 

And then it suddenly finished..? So weird. Anticlimactic as fuck. So amateur in how it was put together. 

And lol the curator at the end "some decisions have consequences you don't realise for a loooong time".. Really? Cos I didn't see anything to back that up during my playthrough, mate.

4/10

But will still play the next one. Probably. But if that's just as bad, I'm out for good. 

The premonition of characters you don't know being an in game advert for their next game was a bit weird. 

I got a "good ending" where everyone survived but not the perfect one even though me and my mates were playing it like dicks and intentionally didn't respond with anything a few times, which made it even more strange. 

Also, there's some quite good almost eternal darkness style weird stuff that happens if you do a particular thing that pretty much is a stupid thing to do, which is a shame. 

It's really frustrating though as with a few small tweaks or slight script changes it could have been really good. I think the engine and method of play could really be very clever in terms of the story it could tell and the way it could be told but it's just used for a very simple jump scare based game. I'd love to know someone at super massive that I could pitch to as I really do think it's an under utilised game genre/ method of storytelling and play.

Or they should just let the vlr/ 999 gang make a game with their tech.