IGNORED

New Mortal Kombat reboot

JohnC

On 21/04/2021 at 12:18, Capwn said:

63% on Rotten Tomatoes, yep I was right.

Another way to tell ahead of time if a movie is going to be poor? It has a ORANGE/BLUE poster. That's a fact by the way, if anyone knows of a movie with a ORANGE/BLUE poster let me know.

image.png.15912d3e01af6006ebf24f69b2358c95.png

Oh, hold on I forgot. Rllmuk loves it's ORANGE/BLUE poster films as you've all recently been trying to convince yourselves that this movie is 'fun' too.

image.png.39b8e228ca3920aabfa3a9bfc0b5dc96.png

This level of trolling isn't even worth 63%

4 hours ago, Capwn said:

I will go on record as saying that Blade Runner 2049 is the best modern day orange/blue film but even then I only rated it 2.5 / 5

Yeah but everyone on here knows a Capwn 2.5/5 is at least a 4/5 on a conventional scoring system.

I know little of the games, so similarities or changes with its lore mean nothing to me. So on its own, with what little I do know, I enjoyed it. Probably worth it for Kano. The use of the famous finishing lines was a bit cheesy, but to me it felt like good cheese.

14 hours ago, Stigweard said:

The over use of orange and blue posters is a little ridiculous now, but at least this one has context I guess. Makes sense with their character colours and all.

Also, here's a fantastic film that used the colour scheme for its poster

bladerunner2049.jpg

I was trying to make sense of the character colours for the Bladerunner poster for far too long before I realised what you meant.

9 hours ago, Capwn said:

53% now on Rotten Tomatoes, continuing to drop;

image.png.b0dcd330e27077adba2eeb22b6823e23.png

That's pretty spot on. Teenagers, MK die hard fans and people who only watch hyped up shite will probably love it. 

You know the type. Fannies. 

Really don't know why I'm spoilering this

Spoiler

I thought the trailer made it look decent and i think Mortal Kombat is one of the best videogame adaptations so was curious to see this. Not familiar with any of the new games either, so potential for a lot of surprises. 

That middle training section that goes on and on... and then extends until it becomes basically what the whole film is about; each character gaining their power. I think without a tournament it's a flimsy excuse to make money. There's no 3 acts, there's barely 2. I massively lost interest when i realised there's so little to the film.

It's like Kano: the movie. Continuing the sleazy arrogance of him in the 95 film and often he's funny because he injects down to earth humour to puncture the pomposity of it all, and his strong personality makes up for nearly all the others being bland. But it's still odd they're heavily re using that and his love hate relationship with Sonya.

It doesn't even deliver a proper Sub Zero Scorpion fight.

The best thing about the 95 film was it was a tournament on an island, it's taking from Enter The Dragon and Bloodsport, the mystery, the cult like heirachy, don't wander where you might see something you shouldn't have. And then just, like...fights in arenas where you get that simple joy of seeing these characters way out of their depth cheering eachother on.

Training sections are the most clichéd crappiest things, i hate them, i hate that you know they're coming up and they slow a film to a snail's pace. There's no stakes or drama.

I liked how the 95 film set up Goro, it felt genuinely somewhat exciting to see him emerge in silhouette behind the yelling crowd, sort of roaring and raising his arms. That simple thing of enjoying, like, how's Jonny Cage winning this fight. It's goofier than i remember, watching it again but there's always a charm in that ultra 90s dusty brown cinematography and use of animatronics. 

This film does the worst job imaginable in using him, just instantly appearing through a realm portal and having an out of place fight with a character outside his modern house. The worst character that is, who i spent up to that point trying to figure out who he is, then googling and still not knowing. 

Something else...the gratuitously violent fatalities are so out of place, and i only noticed 2 so they don't really fit in with the tameness of everything else. 

I just can't get over there's no tournament in this film. Making a film of a game is a task as it is, to add meat to something so empty, but to then discard even that flimsiest of premises. 

It's been so long, i can't remember which sequences were in the 95 film or the sequel. I just remember attempts at mystery, Scorpion being elusive, characters lost and chased in a forest of thin high trees, or transported to some boardwalk surrounded by...wood. Their incoherence actually improved them.  

And Shang 'your soul is mine!' Tsung was very entertaining and memorable in the original. He's so lame in this, he's set up as the villain but couldn't be less threatening or evil. One of the worst villains I've ever seen. He wouldn't unsettle a toddler. 

Sometimes i watch a film and don’t think; why am i watching this? But; why did you make it? Because it's so devoid of inspiration I'm drained too by the remaining effort required in shooting the fights and creating the special effects to reach the end, past the of realisation overall it wasn't worth it.

I watched the first 7 minute thing on YouTube and really liked it. CGI blood was kinda weird but I quickly forgot about it.

I saw Stigweard mention it’s on Amazon, but can’t seem to find it. Anywhere else we can watch in the UK? Or is it a case of VPN and an HBO trial?

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I watched the first 7 minute thing on YouTube and really liked it. CGI blood was kinda weird but I quickly forgot about it.

I saw Stigweard mention it’s on Amazon, but can’t seem to find it. Anywhere else we can watch in the UK? Or is it a case of VPN and an HBO trial?

Id read somewhere it was when I was looking up what it was on. They must have got that wrong sorry.

2 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Really don't know why I'm spoilering this

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the trailer made it look decent and was curious because i think Mortal Kombat is one of the best videogame adaptations so was curious to see this. Not familiar with any of the new games either, so potential for a lot of surprises. 

That middle training section that goes on and on... and then extends until it becomes basically what the whole film is about; each character gaining their power. I think without a tournament it's a flimsy excuse to make money. There's no 3 acts, there's barely 2. I massively lost interest when i realised there's so little to the film.

It's like Kano: the movie. Continuing the sleazy arrogance of him in the 95 film and often he's funny because he injects down to earth humour to puncture the pomposity of it all, and his strong personality makes up for nearly all the others being bland. But it's still odd they're heavily re using that and his love hate relationship with Sonya.

It doesn't even deliver a proper Sub Zero Scorpion fight.

The best thing about the 95 film was it was a tournament on an island, it's taking from Enter The Dragon and Bloodsport, the mystery, the cult like heirachy, don't wander where you might see something you shouldn't have. And then just, like...fights in arenas where you get that simple joy of seeing these characters way out of their depth cheering eachother on.

Training sections are the most clichéd crappiest things, i hate them, i hate that you know they're coming up and they slow a film to a snail's pace. There's no stakes or drama.

I liked how the 95 film set up Goro, it felt genuinely somewhat exciting to see him emerge in silhouette behind the yelling crowd, sort of roaring and raising his arms. That simple thing of enjoying, like, how's Jonny Cage winning this fight. It's goofier than i remember, watching it again but there's always a charm in that ultra 90s dusty brown cinematography and use of animatronics. 

This film does the worst job imaginable in using him, just instantly appearing through a realm portal and having an out of place fight with a character outside his modern house. 

I just can't get over there's no tournament in this film. Making a film of a game is a task as it is, to add meat to something so empty, but to then discard even that flimsiest of premises. 

It's been so long, i can't remember which sequences were in the 95 film or the sequel. I just remember attempts at mystery, Scorpion being elusive, characters lost and chased in a forest of thin high trees, or transported to some boardwalk surrounded by...wood. Its incoherence actually improved it. 

And Shang 'your soul is mine!' Tsung was very entertaining and memorable in the original. Shang Tsung in this is so lame, he's set up as the villain but couldn't be less threatening or evil. One of the worst villains I've ever seen. He wouldn't unsettle a toddler. 

Sometimes i watch a film and don’t think; why am i watching this? But; why did you make it? Because it's so devoid of inspiration I'm drained too by the remaining effort required in shooting the fights and creating the special effects to reach the end, past the of realisation overall it wasn't worth it.

Perfectly put.

This was not good, at all.

Starts really strong and ends well but it's no coincidence that those parts involve the two best and most interesting MK characters with the best backstories. The opening just made me want A Hanzo/Bi-Han film.

Come for Scorpion vs Sub-Zero, stay for Kano, everything else, in the bin.

The opening scene, which is great, has very little in common with the rest of the movie.

Thought this was aaaaaalright in a cheesy 90s action movie way. Unfortunately for it there is a cheesy 90s action movie which already exists called Mortal Kombat. 

Sadly this doesn’t have any of the charm or camp of the original. It also doesn’t have any eurodance bangers with people shouting out the name of the movie, which is a problem a lot of modern movies have. 

it kinda feels like one of those DC CW superhero tv shows, but with hilarious OTT fatalities thrown in. It also has Kano who is excellent throughout & I would rather have watched a film just about him tbh. 

Even with that all said I still kind of enjoyed it more than any of the recent Hollywood blockbusters (since that week Endgame & John Wick came out) though that’s kinda damning it with faint praise. 

2 Unlimited/5