What is spinning in your CD player?

Camel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tonight’s choice: Cate le Bon’s debut. 

12437177-1CFD-4FBF-8D63-60C69C52D1F9.thumb.jpeg.9f15b970064026e5773147cd1cfcf098.jpeg

Took me ages to find this on CD. There is one on Amazon for £553.83, I guess!

Five fried gold albums makes her the best artist of the last 10 years for me. It would be interesting if she won the Mercury this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 24/10/2019 at 11:48, Camel said:

Saw these guys live for the second time a couple of nights ago (they're incredible), picked up this beauty and had it signed by lead singer Ryo Nakkata.

IMG_1592.thumb.JPG.1e38221357f44bfc75621dde38e17ae2.JPGIMG_1593.thumb.JPG.8933d2d513cfcc61ee83cff0b0f0f908.JPG

Thread resurrect! I've seen them a couple of times, and they've been fantastic. I probably need that comp.

Post-bump update ^_^

It's still not easy to find things you can order as a CD (vs. vinyl and download offers everywhere.) Like, just this Thursday I bought this compilation by Critical Music from their official webstore and my only options were MP3 and vinyl. Anyway... I got the "Tron Legacy" soundtrack CD as a gift last Christmas, the anniversary edition of The Avalanches' "Since I Left You" in June of last year... I got Squarepusher's "Be Up A Hello" in 2020, Royksopp's "Lost Tapes" collection last September... and also some videogame soundtracks (Neo TWEWY's was released last year, and I picked up Persona 4's soundtrack as a birthday gift for myself last year - thankfully it arrived without any cracked corners on the case, unlike my P3 soundtrack :( )

F0sv0Qs.jpg

EDIT: Oh, and the 20th anniversary of Squarepusher's "Feed Me Weird Things" was released last year wasn't it? That too.

7 hours ago, englishbob said:

20220503_090033.jpg

Do you play SACD's much? I've been tempted to get something capable of playing them, but not sure how many SACDs I'd actually get (availability/price).

1 hour ago, Ste_S said:

Do you play SACD's much? I've been tempted to get something capable of playing them, but not sure how many SACDs I'd actually get (availability/price).

Whilst I'd love to say yes - in reality it's a no - a quick check on my collection reveals that I only have 19 discs - and I've been picking them up since the early 2000's when they have applied to my tastes

It's a shame the format didn't take off really and everything went dual disc - a SACD layer and a CD layer for everything - but it was not to be. The reasons the format died are numerous - bad record label support, a disinterested general public (who never would understand it anyway), another rival format (DVD-A) and a complete farce of capable players - some do just 2.0, others do 5.1 - no standards.

On 03/05/2022 at 18:48, englishbob said:

Whilst I'd love to say yes - in reality it's a no - a quick check on my collection reveals that I only have 19 discs - and I've been picking them up since the early 2000's when they have applied to my tastes

It's a shame the format didn't take off really and everything went dual disc - a SACD layer and a CD layer for everything - but it was not to be. The reasons the format died are numerous - bad record label support, a disinterested general public (who never would understand it anyway), another rival format (DVD-A) and a complete farce of capable players - some do just 2.0, others do 5.1 - no standards.

That's the thing I guess. You're either picking up SACDs issued from 20 odd years ago, or audiophile re-issues on labels like Mobile Fidelity. If I see a used CD/SACD player for cheap, I'll still probably pick one up though, just 'cos.

Like you say, it's a shame. Hybrid discs sold at the price of a CD would have kept shiny discs going well into the download, and then early streaming days. Out of all my CD's, I think I've only got that's accidentally also SACD.

Just curious, should this be merged with the Great CD Revival thread? There's definitely a crossover. People will pick up CDs and give them a listen, post on here. 

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Just curious, should this be merged with the Great CD Revival thread? There's definitely a crossover. People will pick up CDs and give them a listen, post on here. 

No, we have vinyl lovers and what's spinning threads for vinyl for two reasons,  same with this one really 

21 minutes ago, englishbob said:

No, we have vinyl lovers and what's spinning threads for vinyl for two reasons,  same with this one really 

Okay, that's fair enough.