IGNORED

What is spinning in your CD player?

Camel

2 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Less stuff to 'make a difference' to the sound. 

Not as such. Perhaps the only difference in that regard is playback of dirty and/or mispressed vinyl. Otherwise, there's roughly the same stuff that influences playback.

48 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

Not as such. Perhaps the only difference in that regard is playback of dirty and/or mispressed vinyl. Otherwise, there's roughly the same stuff that influences playback.

Not really. 

Or, yes really I guess. Depends on your view. 

I would suggest that almost all CD players will sound the same. 

Record players can be badly set up, have crappy stylus, etc. Granted not a huge amount but there's really not much to say about having one CD player over another. 

Vinyl has a huge amount of variants,  CDs not as many, but things like the DAC inside it for analogue outs are certainly varied (not so much if you are going digital out via optical or coax though)

10 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Not really. 

Or, yes really I guess. Depends on your view. 

I would suggest that almost all CD players will sound the same. 

Record players can be badly set up, have crappy stylus, etc. Granted not a huge amount but there's really not much to say about having one CD player over another. 

To be honest, as long as you've brought something that isn't junk, I don't think there's a huge amount of difference between record players (and cartridges); at least not at the price level that 99.9% of mukkers are buying them at.

As you've mentioned there isn't also a huge amount of difference between CD players (and DACS), again at the price level mukkers are buying them at. 

Getting to a level where the biggest impact on sound is the mastering of the recording isn't difficult, and I find that to be the biggest differentiator.

4 hours ago, Ste_S said:

To be honest, as long as you've brought something that isn't junk, I don't think there's a huge amount of difference between record players (and cartridges); at least not at the price level that 99.9% of mukkers are buying them at.

As you've mentioned there isn't also a huge amount of difference between CD players (and DACS), again at the price level mukkers are buying them at. 

Getting to a level where the biggest impact on sound is the mastering of the recording isn't difficult, and I find that to be the biggest differentiator.

Agree, and speaker placement and room shape, size and construction will all make a big difference in how the low end especially sounds. 

I even agree with you about record players. My deck and stylus would cost me between £3.5-4K and I'm fairly sure I couldn't tell much difference between it and the £650 the last set cost. 

Of course it's much nicer, feels better to use etc. But functionally I don't think there's much in it. 

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Huge amount of difference with TT carts and stylus of various brands and shape

People say this, I reckon a lot of it must be volume differences. In the end a lot of my records sound pretty identical to the CDs, so these differences are very minor. Unless you have really bad kit. 

9 hours ago, englishbob said:

Huge amount of difference with TT carts and stylus of various brands and shape

I've been through a fair few turntables over the years- Rega Planar 2, Technics SL-1210, Technics SL-D2, NAD 5120, Pro-ject Classic, Garrard SP-25 (and a few I've forgotten) all fitted with a raft of cartridges from Stanton, Ortofon, Shure, Audio Technica, Goldring etc. I'm sure there's probably been differences, but none of particularly stood head and shoulders above the other. Funnily enough, the one I wish I'd kept is probably the worst technically, but ended up being the most fun - the Garrard SP-25. 

Only just discovered that Röyksopp's "Profound Mysteries" got a CD release, so that's getting ordered. I'm so used to buying options being limited to MP3 and vinyl that I forget to check for a CD release. :blush: 

I also have the new Noisia album on pre-order - it's already out digitally but the CD isn't expected until June...

19 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Only just discovered that Röyksopp's "Profound Mysteries" got a CD release, so that's getting ordered.

Yay!

nqwAtm1.jpg

On 18/05/2022 at 21:55, Qazimod said:

I also have the new Noisia album on pre-order - it's already out digitally but the CD isn't expected until June...

There's a couple of albums I want that this has happened to, where the physical formats have missed the streaming release. I think it's delays to vinyl, which then also pushes the CD back so they can be released at the same time.

Someone on YouTube recently commented that it took them two years to get vinyl pressed for a release, and three weeks for the CD version.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently listening to lots of Jens Lekman. 

spacer.png

For those unfamiliar with Jens, his early stuff was a sort of combination of Jonathan Richman and Scott Walker, but with a DIY aesthetic. He didn’t have a big orchestra, or a harpsichord etc, so he just took samples from other songs and used them to build big soundscapes.

This caused a few problems. His first album had to have one of its best tracks, Maple Leaves, removed for the international release on Secretly Canadian due to sample clearance issues. The one pictured is the original Swedish Service Records release, with the original track order - it’s a good album without Maple Leaves, but it’s a great album with it.

Anyway, the point of this post - it turns out that his second and third albums, You’re So Silent Jens and Night Falls Over Kortedala, have also recently fallen victim to this - they can no longer get sample clearance. So they’re no longer available to stream or buy, replaced by re-recorded versions with different names. 

I find this kind of mind-blowing, and it makes me very glad to own physical media. These songs mean a lot to me; I discovered him on Spotify by searching for my baby daughter’s name while trying to rock her to sleep (it appears in one of his song titles), and subsequently used to sing things like Sky Phenomenon and The Cold Swedish Winter to get her off to sleep. It would be very weird to have this music made unavailable without my consent. 

The only thing I know from Jens Lekman is this beautiful remix of Sipping on the Sweet Nectar by Bogdan Irkuk aka Bulgari. Never heard the original version. 

Are the original CD versions on YouTube at least?

1 hour ago, acidbearboy said:

The only thing I know from Jens Lekman is this beautiful remix of Sipping on the Sweet Nectar by Bogdan Irkuk aka Bulgari. Never heard the original version. 

Are the original CD versions on YouTube at least?

Poking around, looks like it.

All of Night Falls over Kortedala as a playlist here:

You're So Silent Jens here (international version with two mixes of Maple Leaves):

For the debut, the international version should still be on streaming services, but you might want to re-create the Swedish version using this tracklist and this version of Maple Leaves.

Just to say, the re-recordings may be lovely, and I'm all for supporting the artist. But I'm just totally weirded out by the way albums can be removed from existence like this in the streaming era.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

Some mellow David Sylvian spinning in this weird old Sharp MD / CD combi. 

Screenshot_20220721_121836.jpg

I've got a soft spot for top loaders where you can see the disc spinning+ MD! Like that Sharp unit a lot.

On 13/06/2022 at 17:58, Ste_S said:

Disco bangers in the garden. Had volume one on vinyl for years, came across volume two in the local chazza today.

00C22C32-4108-4F60-AD49-F65EC67DE232.jpeg

C9011AD3-A4D5-4D24-AE3E-0F3D1EF0355F.jpeg

That's the same as the Discman I had for years. Bought it in Orlando, Florida in 1993. Also saw the first Minidisc players/recorders there. Happy memories.

• 1 month later...

This generated complaints from some members of my household today - if that isn't a great recommendation then I don't know what is

I searched for a track by CV for decades - I heard it on a radio show back in about 1982 - called My Top 10 with Philip Oakey - and all I could remember is the intro with the "Anita - Anita" (or whatever it is) refrain. It wasn't until Spotify was invented that I could actually find it, and then of course buy the CD! 

The track ended up being Silent Command, a 7"

It's timeless this stuff, it sounds unlike most things

20220826_200303.jpg