IGNORED

Thor 4: Love and Thunder - 2022

MansizeRooster

28 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

That’s interesting. I assumed it was because she (and everything else) was terrible in Dark World and they wanted to scrub as much of it from the MCU as possible.

No, they treated the (female) director like shite and dumped her after she had shit all the principal photography.

Then the producers got a tv man ( GoT) in to do what they wanted.

I'm a bit behind on all the talk from a page or two back but I'm surprised anyone doesn't think he's on a euphemistically named Hormone Replacement Therapy series of cycles.

The man has amazing genes for muscle growth, works out incredibly hard doing a lot of the right things, eats equally well if not better, sleeps hard, and sees a Doctor to regularly get screened and have his HRT. It's just the Hollywood way. There are very few people who are natural in Hollywood who are known for their physiques, and Hemsworth is definitely not on that short list.

Mind you, I also think he'll be very unlucky to suffer any ill effects from this stuff given the work and other drugs they do post cycle and off season, especially given how relatively lean he keeps all the time.

Also, very excited for this film.

54 minutes ago, Festoon said:

No, they treated the (female) director like shite and dumped her after she had shit all the principal photography.

Then the producers got a tv man ( GoT) in to do what they wanted.

It was Patty Jenkins.  Based on Wonder Woman, it was mostly Marvel's loss. Based on WW84, The Dark World is a much better film than we'd have got otherwise!

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

That’s interesting. I assumed it was because she (and everything else) was terrible in Dark World and they wanted to scrub as much of it from the MCU as possible.

IMO people really overstate how bad The Dark World was. Yeah it's one of the series' weakest films, and it had Selvig running around Stonehenge on ITV News, but not everything was terrible. I liked many of the jokes, and some of the action moments (portals and gravity), and the bits with imprisoned Loki.

But I really don't think Marvel have been trying to pretend it didn't happen. I mean, Avengers Endgame spent quite a lot of effort trying to stay consistent with it! (Which may be partly because Marcus and McFeely wrote both.)

1 hour ago, Poet said:

I'm a bit behind on all the talk from a page or two back but I'm surprised anyone doesn't think he's on a euphemistically named Hormone Replacement Therapy series of cycles.

The man has amazing genes for muscle growth, works out incredibly hard doing a lot of the right things, eats equally well if not better, sleeps hard, and sees a Doctor to regularly get screened and have his HRT. It's just the Hollywood way. There are very few people who are natural in Hollywood who are known for their physiques, and Hemsworth is definitely not on that short list.

Mind you, I also think he'll be very unlucky to suffer any ill effects from this stuff given the work and other drugs they do post cycle and off season, especially given how relatively lean he keeps all the time.

Also, very excited for this film.

from the hulk hogan biopic too

9 hours ago, Nick R said:

IMO people really overstate how bad The Dark World was. Yeah it's one of the series' weakest films, and it had Selvig running around Stonehenge on ITV News, but not everything was terrible. I liked many of the jokes, and some of the action moments (portals and gravity), and the bits with imprisoned Loki.

But I really don't think Marvel have been trying to pretend it didn't happen. I mean, Avengers Endgame spent quite a lot of effort trying to stay consistent with it! (Which may be partly because Marcus and McFeely wrote both.)

Nah, it's straight up boring. I actually think lots of the MCU movies are massively overrated though, which is the bit that's unfair on Dark World. It's hardly alone in not being brilliant. They've pumped out a fair bit of shit, but they've also done 2X movies now so it's not surprising.

12 hours ago, Nick R said:

The only actual shit MCU films are The Incredible Hulk and Eternals. Their consistency is their virtue. 

The Incredible Hulk is weak, but I don't think it's shit. It's a very by the numbers superhero action-er which is ultimately irrelevant to the series, but it's not really outright bad in any way (Hulk design aside).

For the real crap in the series, it's basically Iron Man 2 (a holding pattern of a film whose only redeeming points are a single action scene and the introduction of Black Widow to the MCU in an appalling hair do/wig, with bonus negative points for criminally wasting Sam Rockwell and sort of but not really doing Demon in the Bottle to no ultimate point) and Eternals (a boring failure that is better on paper than anything that made it to the screen, whose only saving grace is it has some pretty cinematography in places). Then a few question mark ones - Iron Man 3 (the most divisive film in the series), Thor the Dark World (messy development leads to a messy film that is still fun and some of the best emotional moments in the series, but could have been much better with an all-time low for villains in the series) and Captain Marvel (dull character with a dull story is redeemed by the cool 90s thing and SLJ being in it a lot, but wastes every opportunity it has - eyepatch, Skrulls, pretty much everything Kree...) and the Incredible Hulk (as above, it's just a film with nothing special about it).

The MCU is very consistent. It has a couple of stinkers, a handful of brilliant films, and a bunch of solidly fun stuff in between.

13 hours ago, Nick R said:

It is incredibly dour. But I think you're right in Marvel not pretending it didn't happen. We had the most annoying character in the MCU brought back out of nowhere for Wandavision to beat her own record, and Portman is back in this.

I did like the throwaway one line in Ragnarok about why Jane wasn't in it, though. At the time it very much felt like "we binned her because she was crap."

I had a quick watch and thought it looked pretty good with lots of nice geeky stuff.

Loved Thor's Terry Bogard cosplay when he's getting back into shape.

Also, looking at the place towards the end of the trailer, I wonder if we're going to be seeing:-

Spoiler

Arkon & the Polemachusian peoples.

As we know, they like to pull out some old school Marvel stuff they don't have to pay creators for. 

• Goose changed the title to Thor 4: Love and Thunder - 2022

Although - I sometimes wonder this. Should some superheroes be ripped? If they are the sort of character who has “powers” do they need to have big muscles or does the power just work? 
 I.e someone like Vision. 

10 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Although - I sometimes wonder this. Should some superheroes be ripped? If they are the sort of character who has “powers” do they need to have big muscles or does the power just work? 
 I.e someone like Vision. 

I guess the classic super hero has to be relatable to humans as humans read comics. If you have a humanoid male character, they have be extraordinary in some ways. They're either muscle bound or clever or both. Classic ideals of masculinity are physical or mental superiority at a base level. 

It's similar to the 80s wrestling scene where physiques were prominent and steroid abuse was rife. If you weren't ripped (Ultimate Warrior), you were either huge (Andre) or clever/scheming/devious/dirty (Roddy Piper).

It's a trope. 

11 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I.e someone like Vision. 

If they’re following the comics storyline, she may be changing between two extremes of body types when she picks up the hammer. Might have been done to emphasise the difference?

I did like that Robert Pattinson told them to jog on when they asked him to do the usual HGH intense muscle building prep for a film which he spends almost the entirety of in a rubber suit with molded in muscles.

I still don't know why they made poor old Kumali Nanjiani go through six months of misery, posting photos where he looked like he wanted to kill himself, for a role in the shitefest Eternals where the character absolutely did not require that.