Thor 4: Love and Thunder - 2022

MansizeRooster

2 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

It's been confirmed by Kevin Feige that the No Way Home spell failing was a direct result of what happened in Loki.

Well they didn't do a good job of explaining that in the bloody movies. I just assumed it was because Peter kept saying names of people he wanted to remember his Spiderman identity.

This was shite. Just gag after gag without any real storytelling going on at all. I like a balance of comedy and narrative and this was completely unbalanced from start to finish. Bale was fantastic as always but Russel Crowe as Zeus was awful.

Really disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Delargey said:

But because of Loki 

Hide contents

They didn’t have the time police to sort it out.

Ohhh, I didn’t figure this out at all, but you’re right - that would explain why multiversal events keep happening. 

3 hours ago, Delargey said:

But because of Loki 

Reveal hidden contents

They didn’t have the time police to sort it out.

That's the only thing that makes sense, but it's irrelevant. The spell caused it because Peter inferfered works just as well.

Watched it yesterday. I thought parts of it were brilliant and parts of it were oddly forced. I've read there was a lot of improvisation and maybe that's why. 

Loved the first big fight and the final showdown. 

The running joke re the axe and hammer wore thin but it was an enjoyable romp and the right runtime. 

Spoiler

The use of November Rain was weird and didn't seem to match the action. It's a bit too much of a ballad. It's also from a different album to the rest of the GnR songs used. They used Immigrant Song twice in Ragnarok, they should have reprised Welcome To The Jungle with that scene. 

The Gods scene was good with the Kawaii dumpling. 

I'd give it 3.5 🔨 out of 5. I won't be rushing for a second viewing but it's worth watching once. 

6 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Jeez. It's a film with actors pretending to do things. 

Sure, and I’ve accepted that the answer to these questions will always be some variation of turn your brain off. Marvel certainly don’t care that much and the answer will always be that they either won’t explain or they’ll explain a few times and none of what they throw out will make sense. They’re bothered about telling a fun story in this movie or the show and aren’t beholden to everything else which has ever happened.

What does bother me though is when people suggest that actually there’s a clever explanation of you just twist your head the right way/read the producer’s Twitter. 

55 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Jeez. It's a film with actors pretending to do things. 

But it still needs to be consistent and make sense and be easy to follow. It’s not unreasonable for Thor to be called out because of its lazy writing. Retconning stuff because these big budget movies can’t be bothered to write a decent story beforehand is cheap and lazy and does a disservice to those paying to watch it.

It depends how invested you are. They still have to consider new audiences. If you have never seen a  Thor film before this one, I think you'd still be able to follow it as a story. 

Spoiler

There's loads of exposition in this and that's why it's in the film. Korg and the play for the tourists. 

4 hours ago, Broker said:

Why would they fix a spell? It’s not time travel. What makes this spell something they’d care about but not the other thousand spells dr strange has cast over his life? 

They would have stopped/dealt with the alternates appearing in that universe so Spider-Man and Dr Strange wouldn't have known about them

I watched it this afternoon and had a great time. I wanted an enjoyable trip to the movies and it delivered. Some genuine lols and I really enjoyed Zeus - the Stavros-like caricature was perfect for the film and far better than had it been some deep-voiced gravitas-laden portrayal. As someone else has already said, it had a Flash Gordon air to it which was fun.

Not as good as Ragnarok, but one of the better of this phase of MCU movies for me.

Frustrating film. Feels like a workprint or rough cut, where weaker versions of scenes would be replaced by better takes and reshoots. Bit too obvious that some scenes were excised towards the middle of the film as well. Could’ve been one of the better solo MCU films with some more quality control and tightening up, but it just wasn’t there.

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I'm waiting until it hits the torrents... Sorry Disney+ but it really does sound like the modern equivalent of Superman IV.

Fuck me it's not that at all.  Ive owned that on Blu-ray since the collection came out and I still ain't watching.  Once in the cinema was enough. 

On 12/07/2022 at 23:34, Mr.Crowley said:

I fucking loved this. Thank Zeus they're not trying to copy the build-up to Infinity War and instead just get on with some fun and weird adventures. 9 shrieking goats out of 10.

I concur! This was close to the quality of Ragnarok and I absolutely loved it, constantly funny and sometimes a little bit hard-hitting. Amazing performance in particular from Bale! 

Phase 4 official tier rankings so far - 

——-

Top Tier

——-

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home

2. Thor: Love and Thunder

3. Shang-Chi and the legend of the ten rings 

——-

Mid Tier

——-

4. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
5. Black Widow

——-

Crap Tier

——-

6. The Eternals

On 14/07/2022 at 08:45, strider said:

But it still needs to be consistent and make sense and be easy to follow. It’s not unreasonable for Thor to be called out because of its lazy writing. Retconning stuff because these big budget movies can’t be bothered to write a decent story beforehand is cheap and lazy and does a disservice to those paying to watch it.

LOL

Good:

Wandavision

Shang Chi

Spiderman 3

Hawkeye

Dr Strange 2

Okay:

Black Widow

Loki

Ms Marvel

Thor 4

Meh:

Falcon & Winter Soldier

Moon Knight

Eternals

Although for some there is a very thin line between okay and meh. In those two categories I can still find both things I liked and disliked. Thor is only in the middle category because of the darker storyline and Bale's acting. Similarly Black Widow is only in there cause of Florence. Episode 5 is the only one that might make Moon Knight a candidate further up but... I think that's just not enough.

There's so much disagreement on what's good in phase 4 because none of it is truly satisfying, and each product flawed. Most pretty deeply flawed. 

We're all picking out bits we personally like but there's no inarguable adventure classics in there. We can all agree Eternals is gack, mind. My list is very similar to @Illyria's

Good:

Wandavision

Shang Chi

Spiderman 3

Dr Strange 2

Okay:

Moon Knight 

Loki

Ms Marvel

Thor 4

Hawkeye

Meh:

Black Widow

Falcon & Winter Soldier

Eternals

5 minutes ago, Treble said:

There's so much disagreement on what's good in phase 4 because none of it is truly satisfying, and each product flawed. Most pretty deeply flawed. 

We're all picking out bits we personally like but there's no inarguable adventure classics in there. We can all agree Eternals is gack, mind. My list is very similar to @Illyria's

Nope, I thought it was the most interesting film we've had in this phase, even if it isn't an outright classic or top-tier stuff. I also enjoyed Falcon & The Winter Soldier more than any of the other TV shows (I haven't seen Ms Marvel and only the first episode of Moon Knight, which I didn't like), which I know goes against the general sentiment on here.

I've thought everything since Endgame has verged from trash to boring at best, and I think trying to tie the tv shows into things has not really worked very well at all.

Looking at the upcoming films, there's nothing that I care about really in the next year or so. I'll still watch them all, of course, but my expectations have very much been tempered. This was always going to be the case once the original stars moved on (and I said so at the time) because, for me, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow & even Hawkeye are big losses to my ongoing interest.

I certainly don't think Marvel will capture the magic of those original 3 phases ever again (regardless of the quality of the individual films - because there was quite a lot of rubbish in there too), though in fairness I'm not sure they are necessarily trying to.

22 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Nope, I thought it was the most interesting film we've had in this phase, even if it isn't an outright classic or top-tier stuff. I also enjoyed Falcon & The Winter Soldier more than any of the other TV shows (I haven't seen Ms Marvel and only the first episode of Moon Knight, which I didn't like), which I know goes against the general sentiment on here.

I've thought everything since Endgame has verged from trash to boring at best, and I think trying to tie the tv shows into things has not really worked very well at all.

Looking at the upcoming films, there's nothing that I care about really in the next year or so. I'll still watch them all, of course, but my expectations have very much been tempered. This was always going to be the case once the original stars moved on (and I said so at the time) because, for me, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow & even Hawkeye are big losses to my ongoing interest.

I certainly don't think Marvel will capture the magic of those original 3 phases ever again (regardless of the quality of the individual films - because there was quite a lot of rubbish in there too), though in fairness I'm not sure they are necessarily trying to.

butwhy.gif

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Pretty much this, except, I'd say trash, boring or inessential.

I've found enjoyment in everything from this Phase - even if just a little bit in the case of some (Eternals). If ranking then:

The Best

Thor 4

Shang Chi 

Doctor Strange 2 

Spidermans x 3 

Hawkeye

The Good 

Wandavision

Loki

Moon Knight 

Ms Marvel 

The OK 

Black Widow

Captain Falcon and Emo Soldier

Eternals 

Thought this was naff overall, but it had its moments. The worst element was Thor himself, because he wasn't himself. He seems to have regressed back to the dickhead he was before Odin banished him.

Russel Crowe was terrible, that accent was ... Italian? What the fuck was he going for? A lot of the humour felt forced to the point of tiresome, and will not be fun on a rewatch. 

That said, in fairness the movie ended pretty strongly (unlike Eternals), and Jane Foster was great throughout, but I was mainly disappointed in the character of Thor himself. Perhaps this is just a campy, mid-life crisis phase for Thor, but I'm getting the feeling the character is outstaying his welcome now.