Thor 4: Love and Thunder - 2022

MansizeRooster

15 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I didn’t get that, but I remember thinking that some shots looked like the scenery had been green-screened in behind the actors and the set.

Is this one of those beard/shave posts? As in: "In some scenes, the actors in this movie have even been known to wear makeup! :o"

17 hours ago, cubik said:

I watched Doctor Strange a few weeks ago and thought it was a bit shit really. I'd seen that the reviews for Thor 4 were a bit meh so had low expectations.

For the first half hour or so I really did think that the multiple attempts at failed humour were missing the mark and spoiling it but then.....

Reveal hidden contents

Jane Thor turned up in what was one of the best "new" character intros in the MCU. Mjolnir splintering into lots of projectiles to cause chaos and then reforming with a satisfying series of clinks was awesome.

The film then found its feet and the jokes started working along with the action.

Zeus was great. I had no idea he'd be a complete tit though, I was expecting some majestic and enigmatic deity level character.

I don't understand why people have an issue with his accent, he is a Greek god after all.

The scene where the kids are given the power of Thor for the big fight was cheesy but massively entertaining.

Good to see that Jane made it to Valhalla and so did Heimdall.

Basically, I loved the cheesiness and came out of the cinema smiling. It got off to a bad start but absolutely redeemed itself after a short while.

One weird thing though:

Reveal hidden contents

The day time scene after the night time fight where Jane Thor is introduced, the one where Thor & Jane are first talking about their relationship.

Both of their faces were proper weirdly CGI'd. Not just smoothed out but almost as if the studio had badly superimposed their faces onto another actor, like that AA advert from a few years ago where the kid sings Proud Mary.

Yep- caught that straight away too. No clue as to why they did that- my theory is that they originally filmed the scene wearing actual prop helmets- and then CGi'd their faces on later. Not sure why they didn't just reshoot the scene.

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

Is this one of those beard/shave posts? As in: "In some scenes, the actors in this movie have even been known to wear makeup! :o"

On, like, Earth, where the film was sometimes shot on location.

23 hours ago, cubik said:

One weird thing though:

Hide contents

The day time scene after the night time fight where Jane Thor is introduced, the one where Thor & Jane are first talking about their relationship.

Both of their faces were proper weirdly CGI'd. Not just smoothed out but almost as if the studio had badly superimposed their faces onto another actor, like that AA advert from a few years ago where the kid sings Proud Mary.

Totally with you on this. I noticed it too and it was very off putting, like overly done and very amatuer looking skin smoothing. Thankfully it didn't seem as noticable through out the rest of the film. 

• 1 month later...

And it's still a stinking pile of shit. I got as far the Sif scene before turning it off tonight. It's all acted like the plays that ape the movies. This is easily the worst film in the MCU, its worse than Iron Man 3.

What. The actual fuck. Did I just watch?

I’m a comics fan first but I mostly love the MCU and genuinely enjoyed Ragnarok for all its comedy leanings. This though, is toss. Hemsworth (or maybe it’s all Waititi) has turned Thor into a full-on buffoon. It feels like Waititi has nothing but contempt for the whole thing. Bale was great but he is the only redeeming thing out of the whole exercise. 

I’ve been watching them all in order again to coincide with Marvel Calls and watched Winter Soldier last night. This film is barely a clagnut on Steve Rogers arse. 

@Thor don’t diss IM3, it’s a masterpiece compared to this. Way better than I remember. Downey Jr drips with charisma Hemsworth can only dream of. 

So, this is bollocks, but after setting my expectations very low from what I'd heard, I think I enjoyed it more than Doctor Strange 2 for some reason.

I think it might just be because, despite all the dumb plot and shit jokes and too short tease of the Guardians (the bit at the start with them I really liked and felt like it could have lead into a more fun space adventure), it didn't have anything anywhere as bad as the terrible mummy's be crazy nonsense of Strange.

And considering Thor Ragnarok I'm wondering what happened. Did they let Taika go off the rails a bit or something. It tried to ape that again with another kind of "iconic" music association with familiar tracks as well, but it made it feel more like a Marvel music video at times rather than an intrinsic part of the movie. In Ragnarok Immigrant Song is the only track used, and it's used exactly twice at key moments of Thor getting introduced, then later when he gets his power back. It's part of the narrative and works well. Plus the rest of the original music in that was trippy and made it feel all Flash Gordon.

This has none of that care or inspiration in it. And the production and set design all looked weirdly cheap.

Oh God I'm already disliking it more.

Ending spoiler

Spoiler

I'm with Mark Kermode on the problem of Jane ending up in "heaven" at the end. Makes a mockery of basically any sense of sacrifice in the movie, or to be honest, in the whole MCU if that's now allowed. Yes I know this is comics we're talking about, but it sucks in them too.

5 hours ago, Benny said:

This has none of that care or inspiration in it. And the production and set design all looked weirdly cheap.

the biggest crime is that there is no spark between any of the cast. Rag had it in spades but it turns out it was the Hulk and the other supporting cast that made the movie.  We are going to watch it again on DIsney+ but I’m not fussed when.

the second biggest crime is using the Valkyrie in those direct line adverts. 

32 minutes ago, DualSense said:

the second biggest crime is using the Valkyrie in those direct line adverts. 

Wait, that was referencing something real? I thought that was just a joke.

🤮

8 hours ago, Benny said:

And considering Thor Ragnarok I'm wondering what happened. Did they let Taika go off the rails a bit or something. It tried to ape that again with another kind of "iconic" music association with familiar tracks as well, but it made it feel more like a Marvel music video at times rather than an intrinsic part of the movie. In Ragnarok Immigrant Song is the only track used, and it's used exactly twice at key moments of Thor getting introduced, then later when he gets his power back. It's part of the narrative and works well. Plus the rest of the original music in that was trippy and made it feel all Flash Gordon.

Oh God I'm already disliking it more.

It's Marvel's Superman IV: The Quest For Cheese.

7 hours ago, Benny said:

Ending spoiler

Hide contents

I'm with Mark Kermode on the problem of Jane ending up in "heaven" at the end. Makes a mockery of basically any sense of sacrifice in the movie, or to be honest, in the whole MCU if that's now allowed. Yes I know this is comics we're talking about, but it sucks in them too.

I don't think it does, but I think the whole

Spoiler

Zeus bit does though. They've now established that gods that humans worshipped exist, yet why is Zeus top dog and not 'god' god?

Jane isn't going to heaven though, is she? The Norse afterlife is a different beast, so I don't think establishing that Valhala is real is too bad, as that only exists for Asgardians (as she only got there because she 'became' and died as a Thor). It doesn't therefore mean the rules of traditional Christian heaven need to apply. 

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hide contents

Zeus bit does though. They've now established that gods that humans worshipped exist, yet why is Zeus top dog and not 'god' god?

Jane isn't going to heaven though, is she? The Norse afterlife is a different beast, so I don't think establishing that Valhala is real is too bad, as that only exists for Asgardians (as she only got there because she 'became' and died as a Thor). It doesn't therefore mean the rules of traditional Christian heaven need to apply. 

Spoiler

Where I said "heaven" I meant a catch all for "afterlife", as Valhalla is the Norse equivalent. Doesn't matter what version of heaven it is, it just means a life after death concept which undermines the scene of sacrifice moments earlier, in my opinion. At least if you're going to introduce the concept put it in another movie if Jane ever comes back.

9 hours ago, Benny said:

Ending spoiler

Hide contents

Spoiler

It's not the first afterlife that's been featured in the MCU: Black Panther had the ancestral plane, and Moon Knight had the Egyptian field of reeds.

Did the post-credits scene in Love and Thunder bother you more than those? If so, why? Was it the fact that the L&T version featured two major characters that made all the difference?

Spoiler

I don't know to be honest. It could be because such a big deal was made out of the sacrifice, but I think maybe the reason it seemed okay in Black Panther was because it was an intrinsic part of their culture in that. But here Jane Foster just rocks up and is like oh yeah I'll have me some of that Viking afterlife you all get now. And because it didn't add anything to the story to go "look she's fine now". In Black Panther the afterlife scenes were woven into the narrative. In L&T however it only existed as a "concept" until the credits, and it never needed to be more than that to tell the story.

I've not seen Moon Knight.

Spoiler

I'm also disappointed in the way it just mostly dumps her whole career as an astrophysicist, as she drops all that to try to find a way to deal with her cancer, only to sort of "give" up the fight and go for a sacrificial end to her life in a way that feels a bit like she's given up hope and just wants to go out.

It feels a bit cheap when I think of the very real struggles that people go through with cancer and it sort of side-lines that. It could have really touched more upon the kind of strength people need to have when going through stuff like that but it's just used as a plot device.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hide contents

Strange - What master do you serve?

Quill - What master do I serve, what am I supposed to say, Jesus?

Stark - You’re from Earth?

Spoiler

They’ve already played with the fact that if the Christian God exists in the MCU it’s just another pleb in the Crowd. Was probably jeering at Thor with all the others.

I mean the whole film was stupid anyway, and whilst it was set up such that

Spoiler

Love is the strongest and best thing and conquers all and hey, isn't it great that Bale sacrifices his goal to bring his daughter back because of love, rather than being controlled and driven by hate

The message really is that

Spoiler

Given the ability to have absolutely any wish you want granted, you should be completely selfish with that, bring back just one person and then fob them off with somebody else to deal with. Because its really all about the individual at the end of the day. 

Spoiler

Yeah the entire end sequence was garbage.

My favourite one in terms of "message" is the one at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy. Everyone holding hands and struggling together even through immense pain to defeat a space Fascist. What's not to like.

5 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:
  Hide contents

It was Dwayne FFS!

Spoiler

Well, it's telling that I remembered it as "Doug" because it sounds like "Dug" and he's made of rocks. So... I can only conclude I made a joke that made me laugh more in my head.

It seemed the comedy in this trumped the characters, it was just weird. Some scenes felt improvised, some scenes it looked like the cast didn't care. I don't think I laughed once. Bale was in another film. It looked like they all had lots of fun, but given all that the cancer plot felt tasteless and tacked on. I knew all the songs in the soundtrack and didn't like any of them, even those choices felt lazy. It seems the MCU has entered it's coked up phase.

It seems as though they set it up to be told from Korgs point of view and so the language etc reflected his and his mannerisms but then forgot to stick with it all the way through or realised it wouldn't work for some bits so it's quite jarring. Due to an administration error yesterday, I had to watch it twice.