Thor 4: Love and Thunder - 2022

MansizeRooster

1 hour ago, Pete said:

It seemed the comedy in this trumped the characters, it was just weird. Some scenes felt improvised, some scenes it looked like the cast didn't care. I don't think I laughed once. Bale was in another film. It looked like they all had lots of fun, but given all that the cancer plot felt tasteless and tacked on. I knew all the songs in the soundtrack and didn't like any of them, even those choices felt lazy. It seems the MCU has entered it's coked up phase.

Well Waititi certainly has.

I thought that was very uneven. Absolutely excruciating in places but I’m sort of glad I stuck with it as I quite liked the ending. 

The whole thing was basically tosh though. Waititi needs to stop believing his own hype. 

Spoiler

The whole plot was pretty stupid, but I can’t help wondering why Mjolnir kept calling to Jane when it didn’t help and in fact seems to have helped killed her.

Also - Korg goes on about two dads. Isn’t he introduced in Ragnarok talking about how no one came to his riot except his mum and her boyfriend who he hates?

Also, worst mid credits ever? Absolutely cringeworthy. I expect it’s one they won’t follow up on. 

Oh and 

Spoiler

“Thor Will Return”

Was fairly disappointing thing to see after this. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I just realised I could have watched Everything Everywhere All At Once instead of this crap and now hate both myself and this film. 

I think Prey, Top Gun: Maverick and Everything Everywhere all at Once have really shown Marvel up this year.

Thor 4 is a steaming turd.

Lol. I thought that was perfectly entertaining. No better or worse than any of the other Thor films. Interesting how it’s garnered little but hate. It’s silly and fun and occasionally touching.

I’m here for silly Marvel at the moment. It’s very honest and entirely fitting for our insane times.

And the silliest bit was

Spoiler

Roy Kent from Ted Lasso as Hercules in the mid-credits. 😄

The screaming goats did wear a bit thin though.

I tell you what contributed to the general level of boring:

Spoiler

The action sequences were some of the most rote and boring of any of the Marvel films. You get, Thor fighting some bird men on a big field (with admittedly funny Jean-Claude Van Damme reference), Thors and friends fighting big minions on a smaller field. Thors and friends fighting smaller golden minions, then Thors fighting big minions and boss, then finally Thors fighting big and small minions and boss.

It's so utterly uncreative. Compare to Ragnarok:

Big fight in hell with giant fire demon, transitioning into a large scale battle, into a giant dragon chase and it's all brightly lit and clear what's going on. The playful visual stuff in Doctor Strange's place. The Willy Wonka Goldblum experience. The big gladiatorial match one on one with Hulk. Escaping the building by charging out with massive Flash Gordon laser guns. "Get Help". A chase sequence with piloting space ships and jumping between them. Hulk wrestling a massive wolf. Karl Urban jumping out of a ship dual wielding assault rifles that seem to have infinite ammo. Hela poking out Thor's eye. It's just packed with memorable set pieces and cool visuals.

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

Interesting how it’s garnered little but hate

id call it more disapppointment rather than hate for my part. It just doesn’t hang together at all compared to the previous Thor film.   Dr Strange 2 I really disliked.

My missus wanted to watch this. 

Even she thought it was totally terrible. She likes most marvel films and loves the previous Thor films. 

I hope someone else is directing the next film. I like Waititi but this was just crap on every level. 

10 hours ago, Benny said:

I tell you what contributed to the general level of boring:

Hide contents

The action sequences were some of the most rote and boring of any of the Marvel films. You get, Thor fighting some bird men on a big field (with admittedly funny Jean-Claude Van Damme reference), Thors and friends fighting big minions on a smaller field. Thors and friends fighting smaller golden minions, then Thors fighting big minions and boss, then finally Thors fighting big and small minions and boss.

It's so utterly uncreative. Compare to Ragnarok:

Big fight in hell with giant fire demon, transitioning into a large scale battle, into a giant dragon chase and it's all brightly lit and clear what's going on. The playful visual stuff in Doctor Strange's place. The Willy Wonka Goldblum experience. The big gladiatorial match one on one with Hulk. Escaping the building by charging out with massive Flash Gordon laser guns. "Get Help". A chase sequence with piloting space ships and jumping between them. Hulk wrestling a massive wolf. Karl Urban jumping out of a ship dual wielding assault rifles that seem to have infinite ammo. Hela poking out Thor's eye. It's just packed with memorable set pieces and cool visuals.

I didn't hate it (but then I had it on in the background whilst I played Bug Fables on the other monitor).

The fights mainly reminded me of the Guardians of the Galaxy game - and they were by far the weakest part of that too.

See, I didn't much like Ragnarok either, so whilst this is obviously worse than that film, I don't think it's massively worse - I don't like either of them. Ragnarok started Thor's transformation to full-on comedy character, which he has completed in this. His character veers pretty wildly between Ragnarok-Infinity War-Endgame and then this, which is a shame I think, because Infinity War and Endgame had a good balance of some light humour and a bit more gravitas around him, where now you are just waiting for the next one-liner. It's the same reason I absolutely hated GotG2 and am now much less excited about volume 3.

I agree with @Benny about the set pieces though, they were all so dull, as was the general plot (I still don't think they really made any use of showing Bale as the god-killer being much of a threat, despite his apparent trail of destruction).

Just a load of pap.

Not as good as Ragnarok. Just about above average really. Bale was wasted. There was a whole chunk of the film where I forgot he was even in it. Screaming goats were funny once, maybe twice. But they kept going with that joke. Sadly, not enough to make it funny again. Cancer subplot just tonally weird within the context of the rest of the film.

2½ out of 5

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was pretty bad. Watched it with friends last night and was called out when I thought it just seemed like some kind of parody or bad cartoon!

Didn't really think much of the story and it just felt like the entire movie didn't take itself serious at all. I'm not saying it was terrible as it was entertaining at times but i kinda lost interest halfway in. I didn't really get on with ragnorok either to be fair.

Another shitty bit I remembered:

Spoiler

The "thesps" telling the story of Ragnarok. It went on for far too long. And this time the joke really doesn't work, because the whole point before and what made it hilarious the first time was they were commissioned by Loki to tell a self aggrandising tale that he chortled his way through no matter how bad the actors were. The actors themselves were not the only joke. On New Asgard without the audience of royalty and the fact it's not flexible with the truth the whole setup just isn't funny and feels like it missed the point of what made it amusing last time.

So I managed to get through this and out of the most recent Marvel films after End Game I've seen so far it's easily the poorest which is really quite something.

Tonally it's a complete mess, lurching from slapstick comedy to dark moments with all the finesse of a drunk trying to push home a broken Tesco trolley. Thor has been even more dumbed down than he was in previous movies, while Korg continues his assault to be the least funny character in the MCU. The Guardians were underused (although the trailer suggested that), Valkyrie continues to be a charisma vacuum (again the trailer suggested that) while Bale gives it everything he's got but has clearly turned up to the wrong movie. Love & Thunder comes alive whenever he's on-screen and he works well with Hemsworth who's clearly having a lot of fun.

I know nothing about Mighty Thor but I liked Natalie Portman's character, even though it made absolutely no sense that [spoiler] how do you do spoiklers again? [/spoiler]. I don't know if that's naff writing in the original comics but I'm guessing it's unique to the film because it's filled with the kind of plot holes that those giant metal space whales from Avengers could swim through. 

It's peppered with some funny moments, but it looks constantly cheap and it's painfully obvious that everything is taking place on giant empty sets (and yes, I do have Motion Flow turned off). It's just an exceedingly pointless and throwaway movie that does nothing to evolve the arcs of the characters involved and once again highlights that the MCU is currently in the kind of nosedive that would have been unthinkable in the few months after End Game. I'm glad I have no investment at all in these characters outside of the films because I'd be mightily upset if I'd poured my childhood into them. What a fucking farce of a film, I knew I should have watched Get Carter.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Another shitty bit I remembered:

Hide contents

The "thesps" telling the story of Ragnarok. It went on for far too long. And this time the joke really doesn't work, because the whole point before and what made it hilarious the first time was they were commissioned by Loki to tell a self aggrandising tale that he chortled his way through no matter how bad the actors were. The actors themselves were not the only joke. On New Asgard without the audience of royalty and the fact it's not flexible with the truth the whole setup just isn't funny and feels like it missed the point of what made it amusing last time.

Spoiler

I think there were a lot of bits where everything just fell flat because they trivialise anything dramatic with stupid jokes. In Ragnarok, Hela felt like a decent threat even while the rest of the movie was fun. In this, you have them asking if they can do a bloody play 2 seconds after a bunch of kids get taken and the kid doing that shitty Astrid/Axl joke for far too long when they first make contact with Thor. 

As I said, excruciating in places. Isn’t Sif like Thor’s only remaining longtime friend? The thing is all about how lonely he is and he makes this awful joke about her arm being in Valhalla as she lies there possibly dying.

11 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Well after reading this thread I went into the film this evening expecting the worst, but both me and the missus thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly the first half. 

Fuck me Im not alone.  

19 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Vinnie is Kingpin not Thor and thats final. 

After typing that comment I decided to actually watch Adventures in Babysitting - not as good now that Disney has edited out some of the bits that gave it some heart - and couldn't believe who played Thor. He looked damn good!

Honestly you are lot are such a joyless bunch of killjoys at times.

This was great fun, felt like an 80s cartoon turned into a movie; frenetic silly and really quite funny in places. I particularly enjoyed Stormbreaker as the jealous girlfriend when Mojinor returned.

Not quite as good as Ragnorok but moved at a blistering pace with the jokes coming thick and fast. Loved Crowe’s Zeus and pretty sure the cinematographers have played a bit of Destiny 2…all the sequences in the shadow realm particularly the fight with the kids felt like they were taking place in the Ascendent Realm.

Loved it anyway

32 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Honestly you are lot are such a joyless bunch of killjoys at times.

This was great fun, felt like an 80s cartoon turned into a movie; frenetic silly and really quite funny in places. I particularly enjoyed Stormbreaker as the jealous girlfriend when Mojinor returned.

Not quite as good as Ragnorok but moved at a blistering pace with the jokes coming thick and fast. Loved Crowe’s Zeus and pretty sure the cinematographers have played a bit of Destiny 2…all the sequences in the shadow realm particularly the fight with the kids felt like they were taking place in the Ascendent Realm.

Loved it anyway

Ssh they'll know you think different. Keep schtum or at the least tell everyone you hate the film.