On 21/11/2019 at 22:27, BitterToad said:

I have just done the matriarch fight with a friend. It took an hour on beginner doing exactly what you've written. 

The time we actually did it it was really easy because she didn't just jump on one of us and instakill us. We nearly did it first time then spent an hour getting one hit killed in different ways. It's a really bad fight in an otherwise brilliant game. 

On 21/11/2019 at 22:33, JPL said:

Yep. Totally shit and unbalanced fight. I knew exactly what I was supposed to do - just shoot out the ice as she charges you - but those one hit kills were totally unreadable and unavoidable. I have it a few goes, then realised I had better things to do with my time, so that’s where I left it. But of a shame, as I was enjoying it up to that point.

heh. Did this section a few days ago.  Once I'd experienced the one hit kill I found it relatively easy to see the tell when the matriarch is about to jump and just rolled forward or to the side. After that the fight was relatively straightforward.

On 04/05/2020 at 20:58, HarryBizzle said:

I’m up to Act 3 now. It still has plenty of problems but I’m enjoying it a bit more. Possibly because of Fahz, of all people. He’s actually got a sense of humour and isn’t just perpetually dour like Kate.

Oh man I HATED Fahz so it was nice to see him stop being a bell end.

I think I'm right at the end of Act 3 (I'm in UIR territory and have to go through a wall and navigate one of those annoying storms?) but got bored and moved to other games. I should really finish the campaign on this, even if I refuse to get stuck into the grind of the multiplayer achievements (so many, and so tedious).

Finished the campaign. Final Boss fight was fun but I can imagine it;s a ball ache at the higher difficulty tiers.   Got through it after about an hour once I'd actually listened to what tmy team mates were asking me to do in the 5 seconds I had to do it.

Overall, yeah I liked this game.  Good story.  Better than Gears 4 (I loved the mech sections in Gears 4).   Having to make THAT choice was fucking tough and I didn't realise how attached I'd got to some of the characters which re-inforces to me how much I enjoyed the story and the character building (which I never thought I'd really say for a Gears game).

To be quite honest I'd never would have thought to buy Gears 4 and 5 if it wasn't for GamePass and I'm glad I gave them a shot (I missed the whole Gears thing on Xbox 360 after completing the first game) and categorising them as boring cover shooters with not a lot of variety.  Gears 4 and 5 began to change my mind on how the series could be more.  I'll be in day one for whatever Gears 6 brings.

so, question.  Should I give Gear 2 and 3 a shot too now or are they going to be games of their time and I should go play other games?

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Finished the campaign. Final Boss fight was fun but I can imagine it;s a ball ache at the higher difficulty tiers.   Got through it after about an hour once I'd actually listened to what tmy team mates were asking me to do in the 5 seconds I had to do it.

Overall, yeah I liked this game.  Good story.  Better than Gears 4 (mostly because I loved the mech sections in Gears 4).   Having to make THAT choice was fucking tough and I didn't realise how attached I'd got to some of the characters which re-inforces to me how much I enjoyed the story and the character building (which I never thought I'd really say for a Gears game).

To be quite honest I'd never would have thought to buy Gears 4 and 5 if it wasn't for GamePass and I'm glad I gave them a shot (I missed the whole Gears thing on Xbox 360 after completing the first game) and categorising them as boring cover shooters with not a lot of variety.  Gears 4 and 5 began to change my mind on how the series could be more.  I'll be in day one for whatever Gear 6 brings.

so, question.  Should I give Gear 2 and 3 a shot too now or are they going to be games of their time and I should go play other games?

Play 2 and 3 - effectively the gameplay really hasn't changed much in the intervening years and they still look fantastic really. 

Don’t sleep on Judgement, it has the most variety of all of them and it’s completely standalone so an obvious contender to dip into. When it comes to experimenting with how far they can push the combat mechanics, that’s the peak.

Oh the two you listed, Gears 2 is far better than 3 imo. It’s the silliest one of the lot and still looks good now.

Finished this last night. I have to say I found it an amazing gaming experience. Graphically on the one x it blew me away and it had some solid meaty gameplay to back it up too. I went straight into horde mode after which was also really well made and fun. I might play some of the older ones next. 

On 26/07/2020 at 21:18, CarloOos said:

Don’t sleep on Judgement, it has the most variety of all of them and it’s completely standalone so an obvious contender to dip into. When it comes to experimenting with how far they can push the combat mechanics, that’s the peak.

Oh the two you listed, Gears 2 is far better than 3 imo. It’s the silliest one of the lot and still looks good now.

I would also recommend the Gears remaster. I hadn't played the original in years and really enjoyed playing through this recently. I believe it has a few new parts not available in the original, including a giant boss fight.

I still need to finish 4 myself before playing 5. Late into the game and I kept dying at an area with huge cog/water wheels and gave up!

• 3 months later...

Just finished this on SX. Was actually quite surprised and disappointed at the abruptness of the end. Like a good Hollywood blockbuster action movie, it didn't outstay it's welcome and looked and played the part throughout.

Intermediate difficultly worked well for me toward the end, providing enough challenge to make overcoming it rewarding without feeling too desperate. Not sure how much it utilised adaptive difficulty though. I'm not sure I'll give the multiplayer or extra modes any time or go back to the campaign.

Almost the perfect launch game experience without technically being a launch game.

On 09/03/2020 at 14:22, tobert said:

Playing this on Games pass any run into a game ending bug;  I am on Act 3 and am skiffing around the dessert,  I have collected a beacon for the hammer of dawn and need to drop it off to Baird but the scene won't trigger,  at gate at the airport is meant to be open but isn't. Has anyone else encountered this issue? 

Its the second big bug I have had in the game, the first involved one of Jack's abilities disappearing meaning I had to replay the whole chapter.  

I'm probably wrong and this was a long time ago but... I came across the same problem, stood at the gate for a while, looking for a button prompt. I accidently started wandering further down the fence and found another entrance beyond the plane. The game kicks you out of the skiff and Baird is directly behind the first gate, which is bad design because that isn't the way in. You actually have to go away from Baird to get to him.

Anyone else experienced audio syncing issues on XSX for this?

Only seems to happen in cut-scenes, or perhaps that's where it's most noticeable, but the audio and visuals / lip syncing is way off. 

It's really annoying but I'm enjoying the campaign otherwise!

15 hours ago, Teeohbee said:

Anyone else experienced audio syncing issues on XSX for this?

Only seems to happen in cut-scenes, or perhaps that's where it's most noticeable, but the audio and visuals / lip syncing is way off. 

It's really annoying but I'm enjoying the campaign otherwise!

I've been playing on Series S and not noticed any issues.

Operation 5 seems to have injected some life back into Horde mode which was sorely needed. Having a daily map every day is probably a bit much in terms of time needed, since you need to do all 50 waves to get the xp/currency benefits but it's a damn sight better than it was and entices people to stay around for longer. 

Still not sure how i feel about the whole Gears points thing, not having enough "points" to play a match because I lost to many still seems a bit detrimental but KOTH will never not be fun. 

Also revisited the campaign with the NG+ stuff in and started an Ironman run, genuinely think I prefer 4's campaign. Apart from the killer first act, the rest of the campaign is kinda meh, and the open world sections are pretty mind-numbing after the first time. 

Will definitely be playing more of this now I actually have a reason to dive back into Horde and Escape on a daily basis though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing this again tonight.. I realised I had only got 3/4 way though Act 1. Not sure why I dropped out of this last year probably got fed up of shooty games at that point. Anyhow its kind of great in a way I hung fire on this as its giving me something shiny to look at on my new toy.

Really enjoying it so far - I've played though the previous ones (well except judgement) and generally really enjoy them although they keep adding bloat to it IMHO not sure about the upgradable JACK stuff but it growing on me. 

Also strange that even the campaign seems to be online too forgot about that so you buddy up at all times - suppose its fair enough and a good way of doing co-op anyway - the AI just takes over if no real people are around to team up with.

Lovely visuals on the series X. Not sure if they've upgraded much over the One X (last console I played it on last year) it was a while though. Lovely HDR effects and frame rate is lovely and smooth. The visuals are well above what my PC can handle and generally feels snappier on the X than it does on my PC so the Series X is a great upgrade.

Same old Gears though. Big critters, big guys with big guns. It's a blast so far.... Love it..... 

• 2 weeks later...

3+ hour new campaign.. Dec 15th.. FREE with Gamepass Ultimate..

Youtube link here as it's age restricted..

BossySneakyHuman-size_restricted.gif

G5_DLC_HoffmanScorpioSquad_1080p.jpg?w=1

In the new expansion, play as Lahni, Keegan and Mac – the heroes introduced in Gears 5’s Escape mode – in their first mission as part of the secretive Hivebuster program. Thrown together and dubbed “Scorpio Squad,” their suicide mission to destroy a Swarm hive may hold the key to saving Sera and their own redemption.

• Enjoy a new, 3-hour campaign set on the volcanic Galangi islands. The island lava flows and sandy beaches are crawling with Swarm and a deadly new predator.
  • Use and upgrade Ultimate Abilities in a campaign story setting for the first time.
  • Up to 3-player co-op, split-screen or online.
  • 16 new achievements to unlock for 210 Gamerscore
  • The expansion supports Gears 5 Xbox Series X|S optimizations, including reduced load times, quick resume, variable refresh rates and 4K HDR Ultra visuals on Series X.

Gears 5: Hivebusters was written by Kurtis Wiebe, creator of the Rat Queens comic book series, and author of the Gears of War: Hivebusters comics on which the expansions characters are based.

SpiffyJampackedGuineapig-size_restricted

I started this recently having not played a Gears game since the first (and not finishing it).  Thought might be a good game to check out on my Series X.

Must say that so far I’m really enjoying it.  Remember it getting a pretty mediocre reception - or at least that was my impression - but it’s much more varied in terms of its environments than I expected and it’s just really good fun.

Good to hear that there’s some more single player stuff coming soon too :)

I seem to recall it being generally well received, particularly the campaign and the visuals/solid performance they managed to squeeze out of the basic XBO (though there were early issues with the multiplayer..)

There was a bit of internet dickhead grumbling about the main character being Kait this time, though I think even they realised she was more compelling than personality vacuum JD..

24 minutes ago, MDY said:

There was a bit of internet dickhead grumbling about the main character being Kait this time, though I think even they realised she was more compelling than personality vacuum JD..

I abandoned both Gears 4 and 5 for some reason but I am totally hooked onto Gears Tactics. I love the character development in that one, so well done and much better than what Halo has been doing recently. So I have faith in this studio slowly getting the hang of it. 

But I am going to give Gears 5 a go soon, seems like all the elements come together nicely on the Series X .

well after Gears 1,2,3 and judgement I think I felt a bit Gears'd out so I got 4 but just drifted away from it. With the arrival of Series X I thought I'd try again with 4 to see if my Gears love could be rekindled. I was also aware that 5 had an upgrade for Series X so there was an incentive to finish 4.

Oh my word it really has awakened my love for Gears :D Completed Gears 4 in 3 intense nights and it was compelling... The story is bollocks* and characters wooden etc but that is not what I am in videogames for - I was here for the arcade action and gameplay loop and a runtime that does not outstay its welcome! Gears' gameplay loop just hits my buttons perfectly - bite sized chunks of arcade action interspersed with story I can ignore or laugh at. The action is so meaty and solid, I recognise it is slow for some but it feels so chunky. It reminds me of Doom and Quake in terms of weapons feel. There is no 27 button combos to remember or complicated combat just point and shoot and shoot and fucking shoot :D One dead grub!

So I am in love with it again and looking forward to embarking on Gears 5 and seeing how shiny it is on Series X :D

(I might even try Gears 5 multiplayer! ok maybe not that the gnasher duels were tedious :D )

* I don't think they will ever beat the giant worm from Gears 2 :D But the utter nonsense in Gears 4 is hilarious, undermines Gears 3 completely and then chucks a grenade in at the end :D

I’m in Act 4 and slowly plodding through so would probably prefer no spoilers. 

I dropped the difficulty down to Intermediate and it’s so much less of a slog. 

I think I’m going to jump into Hivebusters tonight to see what the fuss over the graphics is all about. 

I played Hivebusters in two parts, finishing it this morning. I'm playing on the Series X and it is easily the most graphically impressive game I have ever played. They did a superb job integrating this story into the Gears cannon and while a little ham-fisted with the characterisation at times (it is a Gears game after all) I think they did an admirable job fleshing out the 3 characters and providing suitable back stories. Providing it for free with Game Pass is a bonus treat and I would suggest this is not one to be missed for anyone with a passing interest in the Gears games. Great set pieces and it does not outstay its welcome.

3 hours ago, Clipper said:

No problems - I am planning to start 5 tonight hope the opening is better than gears 4 :D (robots pah!)

Once you get past the robot bit..

No seriously, the tutorial features them, but after that the opening level is pretty great. 

yeah chapter 1 is very good - and my word is pretty! I thought Gears4 looked great but 5 is just something else the environments are superb as is the lighting - fire is genuinely fantastic.

And then ooooh love the change of pace for chapter 2 - not sure I like the new fiddly mechanics re:jack but it is ok so far.

The Hivebusters DLC, I just can't get into this. Looks amazing, plays like shit. Same things that ruined Halo 5 - the constant chatter, the game just doesn't shut up, and your buddy AI interfering with everything. I've just stood and watched whilst a scripted event kicked off and the AI has waded in and killed almost every enemy in the area, leaving me clearing up stragglers and collecting stuff off the floor. I wish there was an option to play fully solo with no AI teammates. As it is I just feel like I'm along for the ride whilst the game plays itself. Sometimes it's unclear how to progress, then you realise the AI is in the middle of a conversation with itself and you have to wait for a teammate to throw a switch to open a door. Horrible, horrible design.

Also, way too many weapons lying around with no indication which one is the best for the current situation, so you get FOMO about leaving them behind. In Halo you get the sniper rifle when it's the best option for the current mission, in Gears it's throwing a ton of artillery at me right from the start - what is the difference between the lancer and retro lancer for example? Why take one over the other?

Feels like the game is trying to do too much and would benefit from focus and refining of the mechanics.