rllmuk
papalazarou

Jo jo rabbit - new Taika Waititi movie

Posted this in the rate your last movie thread too;

Was super snobby about it watching the trailers, it looked like it could be a movie where you just see Hitler doing funny things for 90mins. I imagined skits like Hitler going to a pet store and cuddling kittens or something, like 'Haha, Hitler would have never done that!'

but yeah it's mostly well played. The Hitler stuff is justified in the context of the story plot. It's a good film.

Definitely a coming of age film first and a Taika Waiti satire about the absurdity of the Nazi party second. Really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

I went with my 15 year old son. And we both absolutely loved it. 

I have a bit of a thing with the song at the end anyway, but I was crying at the credits rolled regardless. This absolutely, solidly connected with me. 

• Upvote 5

Saw it today with wife and kids (sat together in case you’re wondering). We all loved it. I was t exactly sure what to expect but Waititi managed to tread a fine line - it could have been a disaster but it’s funny, whimsical, sad, happy and has a super positive message all in one. 

The cast was pretty much great all round but Sam Rockwell is perfect for this role and the kid playing Jojo was superb. 

It’s been a while since I’ve been to the cinema to see something that didn’t involve superheroes - I really need to do that more often. 

• Upvote 5

I really enjoyed it. It's amazing how the premise was handled. It could have been a disaster as @El Geet said.

It wasn't. 

There's some very dark scenes but it is, at the centre, a beautiful coming of age story. The final scene brought a tear to my eye.

The cast were great and it's a film I'd like to see again. 

Jo Jo's little mate Yorki stole the show but Sam Rockwell and Waititi were also brilliant.

Spoiler

It was a bit of a gut punch when his Mum is discovered hanging in the town square.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I really enjoyed it. It's amazing how the premise was handled. It could have been a disaster as @El Geet said.

It wasn't. 

There's some very dark scenes but it is, at the centre, a beautiful coming of age story. The final scene brought a tear to my eye.

The cast were great and it's a film I'd like to see again. 

Jo Jo's little mate Yorki stole the show but Sam Rockwell and Waititi were also brilliant.

Reveal hidden contents

It was a bit of a gut punch when his Mum is discovered hanging in the town square.

Spoiler

I’ve never felt such a gut-punch seeing a pair of shoes before :(

Such a good decision not to show her face or anything either.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve never felt such a gut-punch seeing a pair of shoes before :(

Such a good decision not to show her face or anything either.

Yes, 100%. The last time I felt like that watching a film was at the end of Mama. 

On a completely off topic matter, there was an advert before the trailers for visit Australia with Kylie Minogue and that guy from The Last Leg.  That brought some mild tittering amongst the audience and my daughter did comment that Australia probably isn't a good place for a holiday right now.  I'm surprised they're running that ad at the moment :ph34r:

Saw this on Saturday and thought it was amazing. Great performances throughout but Yorki stole the show for me. 

Spoiler

the whole shoe thing was perfectly set up beforehand - not to in your face - and then when only the shoe is shown from the hanging body behind Jo Jo - feck it was a real punch in the guts.  Also thought Sam Rockwell was great in this moving from zany (loved that he got his special uniform made) to again heart wrenching when he saves Jo Jo from the Russian firing squad.

• Upvote 3

I thought it was utterly incredible. 

I almost think that if you didn’t like it then I don’t think we could be friends. 

• Upvote 2

Well this was effing brilliant. Got the blend of comedy drama and pathos bang on. The kid was amazing, and it was just a great story. 

I had not heard any reviews beforehand but out of curiosity I searched out a few and it does seem to be a love it or hate it thing with more people doing the former generally. 

The only reasons I can think for somebody not liking it would be if they don't like 'quirkiness' or they think its too silly. I then heard the Scottish BBC guy (Kermode stand in) tear it to pieces for 'not being proper satire' and for 'being mawkish'. What the actual fuck. As for not being proper satire I have no idea whether its really intended to be or not. It had a good message to it, it was very funny, it was very poignant and the performances for great without being overbearing. 

I haven’t seen the movie yet (for shame) but I listened to Robbie Collin’s review on Wittertainment and it sounded for all the world like a movie being criticised for not being a different movie. Really has put me off Collins a bit. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Popo said:

I haven’t seen the movie yet (for shame) but I listened to Robbie Collin’s review on Wittertainment and it sounded for all the world like a movie being criticised for not being a different movie. Really has put me off Collins a bit. 

Yeah that’s the one I listened to. Seemed to fixate on one thing and shout over Edith Bowman who basically just about managed to squeeze in right at the end that she absolutely loved it. 

Anyway that’s why I try not to read reviews of any film I plan to see. It affects my enjoyment too much. 

• Upvote 1

That's what I thought when reading the reviews, they are criticising for not being something that it never intending to be.

2 minutes ago, Delargey said:

That's what I thought when reading the reviews, they are criticising for not being something that it never intending to be.

Peter Bradshaw shouldn't be reviewing films. He's a stuffy old twat who fixates on the art rather than the message. You can shoot a masterpiece on an iphone. Go watch the Florida Project. All a movie has to do is deliver its message in a truthful and emotive way. JoJo Rabbit is chock full of truths, lessons and emotions. Its an incredibly strong piece of work. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

You can shoot a masterpiece on an iphone. Go watch the Florida Project.

Small piece of pedantry: The Florida Project is shot almost entirely on 35mm, with only one scene shot on an iphone.

It’s his previous film, Tangerine, that is shot entirely on iPhone 5’s. But yes, they are both masterpieces and everybody should go and watch both.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Small piece of pedantry: The Florida Project is shot almost entirely on 35mm, with only one scene shot on an iphone.

It’s his previous film, Tangerine, that is shot entirely on iPhone 5’s. But yes, they are both masterpieces and everybody should go and watch both.

My bad. My hot blood getting away with me.

I'm going watching this again tomorrow by myself. I haven't been to the cinema on my own since... Jurassic Park, I think. But I really, really want to give it another watch, I enjoyed it that much. 

• Upvote 3

On 06/01/2020 at 12:21, neoELITE said:

Yes, 100%. The last time I felt like that watching a film was at the end of Mama. 

On a completely off topic matter, there was an advert before the trailers for visit Australia with Kylie Minogue and that guy from The Last Leg.  That brought some mild tittering amongst the audience and my daughter did comment that Australia probably isn't a good place for a holiday right now.  I'm surprised they're running that ad at the moment :ph34r:

Yeah, my son turned to me and just said "er, timing?"

I think at first I was too conscious of the negative reviews and so I was a little uneasy with the tone of it, but after a while I just got swept up in the story as it became clearer it wasn't really a satire in a traditional sense (I think marketing it as such is maybe what has caused such consternation). The more I think about it, the more I appreciate it. The "massively into swastikas" line got a HUGE laugh in our screening. 

I particularly liked the way Hitler goes from being this happy, goofy figure in the early stages to increasingly shouty and pathetic as Jojo's worldview changes (a couple of people cheered at his final scene with Jojo). The shoes bit was a bit too obviously foreshadowed for me, but it still hit hard - the kid really sells that scene.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

Just got back from seeing this and I thought it was just beautiful. 

Perfect review. Its just... beautiful.

• Upvote 1

What a brave piece of filmmaking this is. As others have said it could have easily tipped into cringe/disaster territory and ruined a career or two. But it explores the themes of loss/loyalty/fanaticism with great humour, subtlety and compassion.

Bradshaw's review :facepalm:

What an absolutely fantastic film to kick off 2020, had me in fits of laughter and floods of tears. Some of the shots in this were superb, great directing job. Especially loved the wide shot of the

Spoiler

steps that looked like the back of a dragon and the underwater stuff with Hitler arsing about. And the kids looking out the window during the bombing. And. And. And...

• Upvote 2

Just saw this - first class by every measurement.

Brilliantly balanced mixture of comedy, absurdity, friendship, love, sadness and the horror of the Nazi regime.

Everyone in it is outstanding, it’s brilliantly directed, looks fantastic. Can’t fault it.

• Upvote 5