rllmuk
papalazarou

Jo jo rabbit - new Taika Waititi movie

Saw this earlier in the week and can only agree with what most people have already said. Fantastic film. Tons of humour and pathos, and, yes, it is a good bit of satire.

We saw this last night, I knew nothing about it until the trailer during TRoS and instantly wanted to see it and I’m so glad we did as loved every moment!

As has been said in many spoilers it hits you hard with a perfect reminder of the futility of war  after you have been laughing at the bad guys...

Spoiler

The shoes but hit me like a train and at the end I was internally screaming at the kid to get the bloody jacket off! When Sam Rockwell saves him I was close to tears, brilliantly acted throughout by him and the whole cast

• Upvote 3

I found a different shit Guardian review to the Bradshaw one.

Moaning about Rockwell’s character

Spoiler

being made out to be good near the end to “show there were good people on both sides”

Again - what are they watching - Rockwell is clearly a very disillusioned German soldier from the start, with a  suggested lifestyle incompatible with the Nazi regime and protects Jo Jo on numerous occasions before the bit at the end. Before he cover for Jo Jo’s ‘sister’ - he rushes to the house when the Gestpo turn up so you assume he knows something could be found in the house.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/09/jojo-rabbit-review-scarlett-johansson-lifts-smug-hitler-comedy

• Upvote 5

I don't understand how you could watch the film and leave with that opinion.

Regarding Rockwell...spoilers obv.

Spoiler

I assumed he knows Jojos mum has been executed at that point -although we didn't - which is why he goes to the house?

• Upvote 7

On 12/01/2020 at 09:53, Gord said:

I don't understand how you could watch the film and leave with that opinion.

Regarding Rockwell...spoilers obv.

Hide contents

I assumed he knows Jojos mum has been executed at that point -although we didn't - which is why he goes to the house?

Yeah that's the implication - isn't he bringing her bike back?

He also asks for Inges papers, presumably so he'd be the one to check the dodgey photo or let off detail slips

And then he pointedly tells JoJo to stay home (to avoid seeing mother?)

• Upvote 4

I thought this was outstanding. I’m not sure I can think of another film that’s crossed the line of wackiness and high drama in the way this does. Loved it.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I thought this was outstanding. I’m not sure I can think of another film that’s crossed the line of wackiness and high drama in the way this does. Loved it.

Society. Yes. But Society. 

I must thank Robbie Collin for making me go out and watch this, when I would have probably waited for home release -- just to see how wrong he was. I'm so glad I did.

• Upvote 2

I see this is a 12a and was think of taking 13 y/o daughter, who is learning about Hitler at school at the moment.

Is she going to enjoy it/find it funny/get it? I appreciate you won’t know her tastes but is there anything here for teenagers? 

There is a teeny little bit of history to learn.

Well scrub that :D  maybe not, as its completely ridiculous as a history tool.

But fear not,  its a total blast and she will find it a nice thing to compliment her interest.

Plus its a film told from a person approaching their teens point of view on it all. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Nosejam said:

I see this is a 12a and was think of taking 13 y/o daughter, who is learning about Hitler at school at the moment.

Is she going to enjoy it/find it funny/get it? I appreciate you won’t know her tastes but is there anything here for teenagers? 

My 14-year-old loved it, fwiw - he found it totally absorbing and laughed a lot. 

• Upvote 1

The critics who hated this seemed to think that the "sillyfication" of the material is insulting -- that you should only present Nazism and the Holocaust with solemn and serious documentary facts -- that it's reckless to present an unreal version of what the nazis believed about jews. But the satire works for me. Art doesn't necessarily need to use facts to tell truth. I think the basic satire here is that antisemitism is so illogical that the nazis may as well have believed that jews have horns and tails and that the "jew queen" lays eggs. The holocaust was an atrocity based on such groundless beliefs that it helps to show what groundless beliefs are.

• Upvote 8

I really can't stand the trend these days of film reviewers saying that if your film deals with a certain matter then it has to follow certain rules.

Fuck that, since when did art have to follow such rules? I really like Kermode and Robbie Collin, but they're both very guilty of this.

27 minutes ago, SqueakyG said:

The critics who hated this seemed to think that the "sillyfication" of the material is insulting -- that you should only present Nazism and the Holocaust with solemn and serious documentary facts -- that it's reckless to present an unreal version of what the nazis believed about jews. But the satire works for me. Art doesn't necessarily need to use facts to tell truth. I think the basic satire here is that antisemitism is so illogical that the nazis may as well have believed that jews have horns and tails and that the "jew queen" lays eggs. The holocaust was an atrocity based on such groundless beliefs that it helps to show what groundless beliefs are.

Having now seen the film and loved it I do acknowledge that it has tonal issues. The movie flips between silly Nazis who say funny things to serious Nazis who hang people. It’s testament to the success of the movie that it does this in an almost seamless way but it isn't able reconcile the two. I can see why that’s problematic. 

Totally agree with everyone in this thread re: Sam Rockwell’s character though. He’s clearly conflicted from the beginning, not a true believer, just a soldier trying to get through a war. In that context there’s nothing out of character at the end. 

I like the single wordless beat between Sam Rockwell and Alfie Allen's characters

when you realise - if you hadn't noticed already - that they're in love.

• Upvote 4

My 13 yr olds loved it, my daughter says it's the best film she's seen and from the way my son behaves (typical teenage boy, meme'd up and quite nasty sometimes) he needed to see it. It was a good talking point.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I like the single wordless beat between Sam Rockwell and Alfie Allen's characters

Hide contents

when you realise - if you hadn't noticed already - that they're in love.

I completely missed this :facepalm:

That was so subtle I thought I imagined it. Were there other clues?

6 hours ago, Popo said:

That was so subtle I thought I imagined it. Were there other clues?

The most overt was where Rockwell apologises for shouting at him in front of the children.

Anyway, this was brilliant - funny, surprisingly poignant and a good coming of age story.