IGNORED

The Expanse - book spoilers, paxoníseki!

PK

Fuck's sake.

So yeah @footle

Spoiler

i’m wondering what the heck they get Bobby to do, given she doesn’t really become core “cast” in the books to book five.

My memories of cibola burn are really that the isolation of Ilius was half the point: Christina and the rest of them couldn’t intervene and therefore were basically offstage outside of a couple of relayed video packets.

presumably Abraham and Corey have added a plot or something, or they run some of the background to book five in parallel?

Spoiler

Agreed, I think in parallel to what's going on on Ilus they're going to have to start setting up the threat of the Free Navy and/or the Mars military exodus, and they could potentially use Bobby and Avarasala for either of those. 

Cibola Burn is a frontier survival story plonked in the middle of the epic events of all the other books; it's great, but I don't think it'll make good TV if all of the inter-faction stuff is dropped for an entire season.

(Book 4 plot, book 5 events)

Assuming all book events are fair game in here but playing it relatively safe for now :)

How good is it going to be getting an expanded setup of the Free Navy, etc. alongside the absolutely fantastic self contained story that is Cibola Burn?! Surely they have to go that way and then Season 5 dials things up to a scale never before seen in a TV show as DJ Inaros drops some bangers!

A lot of S1 was from book 2 wasn't it? I mean the political stuff etc which ran in parallel with the main protomolecule arc. That managed to condense a lot with only a minor shifting of the timeline. I'd imagine they'd probably do a lot of that this time around as well

I really want season 4 to finish midway through book 5. Don’t see how they fit it in though.

if they don’t, I suspect the tv viewers are going to be a bit bored by

the space slug

arc followed by the

oh so similar people wandering through alien artifact

ending.

Problem is that it’s critical for the overall arc of the story, but the reason why doesn’t really get revealed properly for another few novels.

are there bits of the additional novellas they could throw in?

1 hour ago, footle said:

Problem is that it’s critical for the overall arc of the story, but the reason why doesn’t really get revealed properly for another few novels.

Is it?  I've forgotten why, other than introducing Oyoke.  Is it because it's the first time they find a physical artifact of the race which killed the ring builders, that sphere of absolute nothingness which Giant Crab Miller finds?

It would probably make sense if they rattle through Ilus in the first half of the season, then move on to book 5 with 

Spoiler

the Free Navy attack as the finale.  Fuck me, what a final scene in a season finale that would be!

4 minutes ago, PK said:

Is it?  I've forgotten why, other than introducing Oyoke.  Is it because it's the first time they find a physical artifact of the race which killed the ring builders, that sphere of absolute nothingness which Giant Crab Miller finds?

It would probably make sense if they rattle through Ilus in the first half of the season, then move on to book 5 with 

Hide contents

the Free Navy attack as the finale.  Fuck me, what a final scene in a season finale that would be!

It introduces a few things that get developed from what I remember.

Spoiler

That there are alien artefacts on the worlds.

That they can be reactivated (not necessarily without risk).

The sphere of “nothingness” that Oyoke encounters towards the end. 

The colonists are dependent upon what they take with them or can import to survive, as the local plants and animals aren’t edible.

Humans are still dicks to each other even with more worlds than they could ever need.

That’s it. I’m going to read the books from start to finish again. Too excited for season 4.

And

That there's no sentient life beyond any of the gates.

That there were artifacts built before everything was just wiped out.

That he who controls the gates controls the human race - it's the rise of the Belters, and the struggles of the colony worlds against the centre drives a lot of the next few books.

That what caused the problems in the first place is probably still out there (though I'll admit its not so blatant as it later becomes).

Oh, and it answers the question of what Millar is properly - though they weren't as stingy laying that out in Season Three as they were in Book Three.

Most that is show, don't tell stuff, that simply wouldn't work when you're then thinking about the events of Book Six and Seven if you'd not spent a load of time seeing just how dependent each colony world is.

• 3 months later...

Gorman is a perfect Murtry!

I didn't see Havelock in there, and everybody's on the surface, so it looks like they've dropped all of the stuff from orbit altogether.  I suppose it probably wouldn't have worked brilliantly on TV.  At 2:02 it looks like Bobby's getting arrested on Mars, so maybe they are going use her to sow the seeds for the fleet exodus by having her uncover it as a plot - I can't actually remember what she's up to in this book.

It's looking good, can't wait!

1 hour ago, PK said:

Gorman is a perfect Murtry!

I didn't see Havelock in there, and everybody's on the surface, so it looks like they've dropped all of the stuff from orbit altogether.  I suppose it probably wouldn't have worked brilliantly on TV.  At 2:02 it looks like Bobby's getting arrested on Mars, so maybe they are going use her to sow the seeds for the fleet exodus by having her uncover it as a plot - I can't actually remember what she's up to in this book.

It's looking good, can't wait!

she’s not in the book!

• 4 weeks later...

Season 4 is brilliant, perfect adaptation of Cibola Burn.  Immediately regret watching all 10 episodes in one sitting on a hangover.

S4 E10 & book 5 spoilers:

Spoiler

I think the only misstep is revealing the entirety of Marco's plan in the last episode.  It's going to suck a lot of the impact (lol) out of the rocks hitting Earth; in the book, you know they're planning something but the actual strike comes out of fucking nowhere. Ashford being spaced and his message being sent would have been a better ending.

The guy playing Marco is a great casting, not so sure about Filip - I never imagined him being eight foot tall

They don't go that far, it ends with (S4E10 again):

Spoiler

Marco launching an asteroid, and a scanner screen showing 5 or 6 of them with a trajectory towards Earth.  The stealth tech heist was part Bobby's arc, and they introduce Filip separately, but we don't really see that much more of the Free Navy (in fact I don't think they refer to it by name).

Bit of a shame, personally think it would have worked better the way they did it in the books.  Amos bonding with Peaches and then BANG, APOCALYPSE!

• 11 months later...

Just bumping this because of Amazon's announcement that season 6 will be the last one.

Spoilers for all 8 books past this point!

would have thought you could, at a pinch, condense books 7 and 8 into a single season - do the 30 year jump at the start, and then maybe a couple of year/two year jumps during the course of the ten episodes to fit everything in. But then you'd definitely need another season to do book nine, unless it turns out it's three pages long.

With only this season (which I assume has to be the whole Free Navy arc?) and another one left I don't really see how they fit everything in. One route might be to have the crew transported 30 years into the future, rather than living through it, which would give them an in-universe reason to have a massive exposition dump about Laconia invading, skip having to age everybody with prosthetics or CG, and start the last season somewhere in the latter half of book 8.

Trying to cram everything in would be a bit shit though, so maybe they're planning a completely different ending for the show?

Reddit seems to be of the general opinion that they're going to spread the Free Navy stuff over the next two seasons and stop at the end of Babylon's Ashes, which would be a shame - two seasons of basically no progression of the Ringbuilder stuff would be a disappointing note to end on, given how much attention they've given that side of things so far.

Six seasons surely can't have been the original plan when they resumed on Amazon. They spent an entire season on killer slug world!

Oh, interesting, hadn't seen that io9 clip. I suppose the Free Navy arc plus uncovering the protomythology would make a reasonably satisfying end to the show in its own right.

It's a shame we probably aren't going to see Laconia, Nega Duarte, or zombie Amos though!

4 minutes ago, PK said:

Oh, interesting, hadn't seen that io9 clip. I suppose the Free Navy arc plus uncovering the protomythology would make a reasonably satisfying end to the show in its own right.

It's a shame we probably aren't going to see Laconia, Nega Duarte, or zombie Amos though!

I know, right? But us book lot get to enjoy that to ourselves.

I wouldn’t rule out Ultimate Last Man Standing Winner 3,000,000 Years In A Row immortal Amos though.

• 2 months later...

Thanks @Benny :sealclap:Yes its a sarcastic clap ;)

So, before I start spluttering my load on two key topics of how much I think they changed Season 5 for unavoidable reasons and what the ending means for Season 6 are there any rules for use of spoilers or is everyone in here to be assumed as up to date with the TV show and the books?

4 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Thanks @Benny :sealclap:Yes its a sarcastic clap ;)

So, before I start spluttering my load on two key topics of how much I think they changed Season 5 for unavoidable reasons and what the ending means for Season 6 are there any rules for use of spoilers or is everyone in here to be assumed as up to date with the TV show and the books?

Indicate spoilers for books and the show by season and book, I think. In case show watchers start reading or we get readers in who haven't watched it all yet.