15 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I was enjoying this but I’m on chapter 4 (I think) and I’ve been walking round for ages trying to work out where to go. I don’t know if it’s actually bugged because I must have been absolutely everywhere countless times.

There's a full playthrough on YT, here's chapter 4:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, ilpostino said:

There's a full playthrough on YT, here's chapter 4:

Hide contents

I was stupid! I’d missed a reply obvious door - I must have walked past it 20 times. I was so hung up on being told to “meet in the main hall,” that I was convinced I had to do something in the area with all the statues.

I’ve also got so used to relying on maps in games - and real life - that not having one means I get totally lost.

I was really enjoying Horace. Until I thought I’d try using the Switch controller instead of keyboard. The Switch controller went bananas, started a new game by itself deleting my save game.

I really don’t know if I can be bothered to start again.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to save my accidentally deleted save!

The save folder contained a helpful back up. But not long after this I encountered a game-breaking bug where I kept spawning under the level and falling to my death! 

So I started again. I’m now right at the end and trying to find the last 50k of junk to clean. Despite being buggy, it’s been really enjoyable and it’s made me laugh a lot more than any other game in recent memory. Most recently “Mental Gears Hollis.”

61AA0360-E74B-4A30-A6D1-42D7FE466AE5.thumb.jpeg.a9150b58da14df1fd9a27db84938b561.jpeg

I'm really enjoying this, it's bloody nails too. I was expecting a silly pixel platformer but it's as though you'd only enjoy it and be able to get far without it being really annoying if you hadn't grown up playing loads of games including every single game ever being a 2d platformer in the 90s. As well as obvious Mario nods (him holding his hat at full run, the float jump animation for instance) some of it reminded me of things like SNES addams family and various similar games like that, even ghouls n ghosts in some of the levels. Then there's also all the jet set willy stuff and although I couldn't ever quite get the diagonals to work properly, I'm convinced the plate drying 'job' is an homage to the ball bouncing bonus level in IK+.

It's also genuinely quite funny and sweet at times too.

The meat boy style instant replays make such a difference compared to the traditional 2d games it pays respect to that would have had an extra lose a life animation screen and do you want to continue type selection. Going straight back in makes it more appealing to nail it than having to click your way through lots of blah.

On 05/02/2020 at 01:07, b00dles said:

I'm really enjoying this, it's bloody nails too. I was expecting a silly pixel platformer but it's as though you'd only enjoy it and be able to get far without it being really annoying if you hadn't grown up playing loads of games including every single game ever being a 2d platformer in the 90s. As well as obvious Mario nods (him holding his hat at full run, the float jump animation for instance) some of it reminded me of things like SNES addams family and various similar games like that, even ghouls n ghosts in some of the levels. Then there's also all the jet set willy stuff and although I couldn't ever quite get the diagonals to work properly, I'm convinced the plate drying 'job' is an homage to the ball bouncing bonus level in IK+.

It's also genuinely quite funny and sweet at times too.

The meat boy style instant replays make such a difference compared to the traditional 2d games it pays respect to that would have had an extra lose a life animation screen and do you want to continue type selection. Going straight back in makes it more appealing to nail it than having to click your way through lots of blah.

I used the Switch Pro pad and found it a lot easier to use the analogue stick for the plate drying. Diagonals on that fussy d-pad were too awkward - on keyboard pretty much impossible.

I’d have preferred it more like IK+ where you stay in position until you change to another, rather than having to hold it in place.

The most frustrating parts for me were

the swimming

but that only made it more period accurate.

I was using the Wii u pro pad and for some reason it was the top left that was always the hardest to hit. Still cleared enough to unlock all the bits and then I realised you didn't even needed to do them anyway, so it wasn't a sticking point, just a bit annoying. You're right though, would have been better if you stayed in the last position like ik+. I used to be able to totally nail the ball bouncing in ik+ which was probably why I found it frustrating I couldn't do it so well. Was glad to see my track and field skills hadn't waned either :D

I quickly upgraded that so the controls weren't quite as annoying in regards to having to pop out all the time. I'm sure the music was a sonic nod when you did those bits too.

in fact, I think I might just finish it off now, I've been sidetracked by my unnecessarily large factorio base again. 

• 2 weeks later...

The last update seems to have changed the menu order. New Game used to be the first option but now it’s Continue.

I wonder if the devs are lurking here!

It always used to bother me that the default option would overwrite your save. We’ve already had tears caused by Lego Star Wars 2 doing the same.

4 hours ago, artz said:

The last update seems to have changed the menu order. New Game used to be the first option but now it’s Continue.

I wonder if the devs are lurking here!

We mentioned about the menu thing on the ugvm podcast, and the devs listened to it and said they’d taken our comments on board so...

• 2 weeks later...

Still really enjoying this despite being a little hard for my duff reaction times.  The unlimited+instant restart reduces the teeth gnashing a bit.

Just did the 

Spoiler

Crate snake

boss. That was ace. The music was particularly good.

• 2 months later...

Finished this last week and what a gem of a game this was, yes it has it's flaws (especially towards the end) but I bothered to complete the extra objective and I'm already thinking about re-playing it on Steam which I don't usually bother with. The writing was genuinely great and there were too many great easter-eggs/sight gags to count, I probably missed a ton as well. 

More detailed thoughts on specific bits, both good and bad. This includes many spoilers:

Spoiler

Starting with the good:

- My genuine joy on the bit when you come out of the lab and all the objects are moving on their own and I realised we were going full Jet Set Willy.

- Likewise the Manic Miner screen in the Wonderland section, I don't know if I could get as far in that game now as I used to be able to.

- So many story moments, it does a really good job of character building and jumping between different emotions. Telling it all from Horace's point of view with his naivety worked really well.

- Real feeling of accomplishment when you nail a tricky section, generally good at helping you progress until nearer the end (more on that later!). The dash back in the TV studio for all the extra junk is a good example of that.

- The sheer number of references, I am ashamed that I didn't notice the Logan and Preston connection until we got to the 'Not-so'-Excellent' adventure.

- So may fun ideas used and packed into one game, which in the main works.

And the bad:

- The shield system feels a bit odd in places. Up until the mansion I think I had only bought one upgrade if that but I needed them from Chapter 12 onwards. Luckily I had built up a large collection of junk (and went back to other sections to clean up as I upgraded) so I could get the fully upgraded shields and still keep up with the ability upgrades. While the shield generators were a good idea it seems odd to only give you one extra shield when you die in a room. I get that the idea was to push yourself to not use them where you can to up the challenge but some sections seemed far too hard to get through without multiple shields and given that you can get buy them why not let someone re-fill them to full? In the mansion you can restock at any time by killing your self 8 times, grabbing the shield and leaving through a door, then repeat. As deaths don't matter this is an easy option, until you get to bosses where you are stuck with what you have and in some cases can't get more shields at all due to how the checkpointing works.

- The are a fair few buggy areas and it is easy to get hit/die in annoying ways, especially when you do a jump over to a narrow platform and then just overshoot to run over an edge and hit a fire. The most annoying for me was during the Central Brain fight where the room rotates with you as the game has an issue with changing direction of movement when you flip surfaces quickly.

- As you can return to most areas, it is a shame that there isn't some way of signalling that there are some locations you can't return to. I didn't affect me as I was in full completionist mode but I can imagine it would annoy some people trying to finish up junk at the end or collect more to get upgrades.

- Not a major thing but it would have been nice to be able to set run to multiple buttons, I generally switched it to the left trigger on the Xbox controller but for some of the mini-games I had to swop back to X as it made it easier. Being able to have it set to both would make things easier.

Overall I loved it, if you are a gamer of a certain age then you really should play it as it is one giant love letter to retro gaming. It also had the Steptoe and Son/Bertha mash up I never knew I needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Really enjoying this game. Got it for free on Epic games and tried it out on a whim a couple of months after. It's fantastic. A love letter to anyone who grew up on the 80s Britain. Lovely parodies of the games, TV and cinema of the time. My favourite being when they were radioing Japan with the call sign 'Nighthawk' :D Shame, it wasn't done in a faux french accent.

And I've finished it. It's genuinely one of the greatest games I've ever played. Yes, it has its flaws. But it's a game made with genuine passion and heart, tailor made for 40 somethings like myself who grew up during the 80s. If I were to criticise it, it's almost as if the developers had too many ideas they wanted to throw in and the game could have done with some editing. Yes, my criticism is the game gives you too much content. If you were to ask me to cite a game as a piece of art, this would be it. The story connected with me on an emotional level and I found the ending profoundly moving. I experienced the sort of reaction the best movies elicit. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just started this - up to Chapter 3. It's really great, isn't it? It will appeal to absolutely no one outside of 40-something British men, but any game that mentions Woolworths gets a thumbs up from me. 

13 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Just started this - up to Chapter 3. It's really great, isn't it? It will appeal to absolutely no one outside of 40-something British men, but any game that mentions Woolworths gets a thumbs up from me. 

I'm still only 39, so should I wait a bit?

Spoiler

I've already bought it (Switch), obviously, though I haven't had a chance to start it yet.

23 minutes ago, JDubYes said:

I'm still only 39, so should I wait a bit?

Hide contents

I've already bought it (Switch), obviously, though I haven't had a chance to start it yet.

I'm sorry, you won't understand it at all. What a waste of money. :(

17 hours ago, mdn2 said:

How about 40-something Dutch men?

44 minutes ago, Sane said:

How about 40-something Dutch men?

Depends on your knowledge of Coronation Street and Woolworths. 

To be honest, the game is fantastic and I can see why it's so well regarded so everyone should play it. It's just the most... British game I've ever played. 

10 minutes ago, Professor Puzzles said:

It's not all obscure UK cultural references; I'm pretty sure I spotted Niles and Frasier Crane in one scene, with Andy Kaufman at a table behind them. There were probably loads more in that scene but it went by too quick for me to notice.

Jeff Winger and Abed from Community on another table. 

Screenshot_20201023-195314~2.png

Does the game save mid-chapter? I played a chapter last night before bed and it went on for ages. I didn't want to risk quitting in case it took me back to the beginning when I reloaded.