IGNORED

(Some) Streamers Are The Best!

Fallows

I'm generally okay because I don't get or expect many viewers (I'm just streaming for fun) but I think a number of applications let you apply a delay. So you can force it to only read a message every x seconds - in a way, that's not much better because of fragmented discussion... but it might be useful if everyone's screaming at you in unison to do something! :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2021 at 18:36, Qazimod said:

I'm generally okay because I don't get or expect many viewers (I'm just streaming for fun) but I think a number of applications let you apply a delay. So you can force it to only read a message every x seconds - in a way, that's not much better because of fragmented discussion... but it might be useful if everyone's screaming at you in unison to do something! :lol: 

You could set it up to only to only read out messages with your stream name in it. Of course, might be open to abuse :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know about this thread at the time, but I jumped into streaming for the first time just after Christmas. Streamed for 20 hours straight, broke my brain and eyes in the process and raised £220 for The British Red Cross's Anti-Loneliness campaign.

Anyway, it gave me the bug and I've started streaming more regularly. I've got a regular schedule in place where I go live at 7pm-10pm on Sundays and 8-10pm on Mondays... not the greatest since I'm going out at the exact same time as some big retro streamers from the UK, but it's all I can fit in right now.

The main aim was to stream retro, but it's not worked out that way at all. Right now there's no real plan for what I do beyond what I feel like or if I get requests (one of my followers is forever harassing me to play Osu!, but after an afternoon session yesterday (I was off work), I'd happily never play that game again).

Anyway, if anyone fancies checking me out, I'm at www.twitch.tv/brixtonrifles.

I'm absolutely not looking to take this full-time or anything like that, obviously, but would be nice to get a little following, so I'm also completely open to any criticism or advice.

My recent attempts at P4 streaming went south, so I'm making myself feel better by streaming some Gitaroo Man Lives! on Mondays. :D I'm faffing with delays in-between streams to see what the sync is like, and the smaller scale should mean fewer dropped frames, but it's nice to play a smaller game which I can have fun with.

1 hour ago, Zio said:

I didn't know about this thread at the time, but I jumped into streaming for the first time just after Christmas. Streamed for 20 hours straight, broke my brain and eyes in the process and raised £220 for The British Red Cross's Anti-Loneliness campaign.

Anyway, it gave me the bug and I've started streaming more regularly. I've got a regular schedule in place where I go live at 7pm-10pm on Sundays and 8-10pm on Mondays... not the greatest since I'm going out at the exact same time as some big retro streamers from the UK, but it's all I can fit in right now.

The main aim was to stream retro, but it's not worked out that way at all. Right now there's no real plan for what I do beyond what I feel like or if I get requests (one of my followers is forever harassing me to play Osu!, but after an afternoon session yesterday (I was off work), I'd happily never play that game again).

Anyway, if anyone fancies checking me out, I'm at www.twitch.tv/brixtonrifles.

I'm absolutely not looking to take this full-time or anything like that, obviously, but would be nice to get a little following, so I'm also completely open to any criticism or advice.

First of all, congratulations on raising that money for charity. That's excellent. I've just followed your channel and will definitely check in next time I see you live.

I've been streaming fairly regularly since the first lockdown last year, and despite some ups and downs it's been a real boost for me on the whole. I wrote some thoughts / advice for somebody else a little while back in a different thread, so apologies if you've already seen that as I'll repeat myself massively here!

Some points around trying to increase your following:

• Seek out other streamers you enjoy and spend some time offering them the same type of interaction you're looking for from your followers. Don't just check out their stream once, drop them a follow and then disappear. Pop up in their streams regularly and comment on the games, or something they said, or ask them questions. If you build up a rapport, then more often than not they'll get around to checking out your stuff too. Not all of them will, and that's fine; if you still find them entertaining or interesting to watch, keep doing it and learn from what you think they do well.
  • This might sound completely obvious, but when you do get people watching, do what you can to engage with them. (I've checked out your latest stream and you seem naturally good at this.) Acknowledging their comments is great. Using those comments to riff off is better. Asking them questions of your own to keep the interaction going is better still. If someone feels welcome and valued when watching your stream, the chances are they're going to come back.
  • A regular time slot for streaming definitely helps, so stick to that if you can. That said, that's a really difficult area for me to stick to currently and I've managed to keep a small following, so it's not absolutely essential.
  • Maybe the most important point: embrace the fact that you're not going to be for everyone. People will come by, watch for a few minutes and drift away. Don't take it personally. If you try and be everything to everyone, you won't be able to keep it up. Do it for the fun of it first and foremost. If people see you having a great time doing it, the right ones will stick around / come back. You mentioned in your recent stream that you have your live viewer count turned off, which will help here massively!
  • On a similar point - you mention playing Osu because a regular viewer keeps bugging you to do it. I totally get the impulse to do that and keep a viewer happy and interested, but on the whole I would absolutely recommend you stick to playing stuff that you want to play. I have a thing where people can select games for me to play in the future using a big chunk of channel points. That way, regulars can have an input on what gets played on stream sometimes, but I also have rules in there so that if I detest the game after an hour or two, that counts as me having played it and I can move onto something else.
  • If you get a chance, try and build out your About page a bit more. Let people know what you're all about, your schedule, etc. I did nothing with mine for ages but as soon as I did I was surprised at the number of people who came in and commented on something I'd written in my introduction, etc.
  • Raids! I'm not sure if you usually do it, but I noticed you didn't raid at the end of your latest stream. This can be a great way to build up a connection with other streamers. Pick people you like and actively enjoy watching, and stick around for a while after you raid and interact if you can.

Sorry, that went on a bit! Having watched your latest stream, my initial impression is that you'll definitely be able to build an audience. I thought you were engaging and interacted well with the chat which is at least half the battle. The camera set-up and transition stings, etc. are really nice too. (I don't have any of that stuff yet as I currently stream audio-only direct from console, but plan to get a PC soon and upgrade that side of things.)

Anyway, good luck with it and I'll definitely be dropping by when I can. In the meantime, if you need any specific advice or want to bounce any questions/ideas off somebody, I'd be more than happy to help.

Amazing advice @Billy Brown, thanks for taking the time!

I'm pretty new to the entire Twitch thing, not just streaming, but watching too. It's become a replacement to listen to podcasts whilst I work from home now (requires far less engagement whilst also still providing that nice little bit of noise in the background). I've got to admit that so far I've only really been watching the big streamers (I'm watching Limmy basically every morning whilst working now), so I've not really tried engaging with anyone else yet - so you're right about that. I'll take some time to check out some smaller streamers.

I was also completely blind to the whole raiding thing until recently, but I notice pretty much all the big streamers end their streams with a raid. I'll check out how to do it and do the same in future.

In fact, I'll go through all your advice! Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 4 months into streaming and usually I'm on 20-30, sometimes I'll spike to 40 - any higher and chat becomes incomprehensible. I'm immensely enjoying adding new stuff to OBS each day and start the day off 'socially' but looking to cap it at 30 consistent so I can retain the intimacy of chat interaction. 

What's your channel, @Rob Rule? I'll only swing by if you're at 29 viewers or less, naturally.

I know what you mean about the chat. I've very rarely been at those kind of heights so far, but I've had a couple of decent sized raids along the way and when chat starts whizzing by it can be jarring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2021 at 16:17, Qazimod said:

My recent attempts at P4 streaming went south, so I'm making myself feel better by streaming some Gitaroo Man Lives! on Mondays. :D I'm faffing with delays in-between streams to see what the sync is like, and the smaller scale should mean fewer dropped frames, but it's nice to play a smaller game which I can have fun with.

The Legendary Song ^_^

Had a minor flub but the end score still recorded 0 missed, so I'll take it. :P 

I also enjoyed @Billy Brown's 12hr streamathon last week; I couldn't stick around for the whole event but it was a nice thing to hop in and out of: https://www.twitch.tv/playingcatchup/videos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I tweeted this out a minute ago, but it might be useful for certain streamers - there's a site called https://gamepadviewer.com/ which shows the buttons of a connected controller in a browser page, and highlights the buttons when they are pressed on the controller. There are a few skill-based games (shmups, fighting games) where some online videos show the controller in a PIP to demonstrate what's going on, and something like this could be a nice cheap option for streamers here. ^_^

You have to have a controller connected to your PC before you visit the site, and then you can click the "Currently viewing: None" bit in the middle (at the top) to select the controller profile (e.g. Player 1.) The console icon lets you select the controller layout you want to show (it currently supports XB1, 360, PS4, PS3, NES, GC, Fightpad and Fightstick layouts) and the paint palette icon lets you pick a background colour (useful for transparency/chroma key purposes.) So in the pic below I've added the Fightstick layout as a window source below some Street Fighter III in XSplit:

3PqP4hE.jpg

Oh, and you have to be able to add a browser window as a capture source in your streaming software, of course. Or the equivalent region of the screen. The controller profile menu doesn't cover every controller ever made, but I've got an old Xbox 360 wired Fightpad I still use on the PC, and that works well with the "Fight Stick" layout in the menu. :) 

• 1 month later...

Crosspost from the PUBG thread:

The first 8x8 map is out today on test server, I'm streaming it now. Rllmuk is my online home, while twitch is a strange place full of a big % of strangers, so I'd rather the forum isn't mentioned directly by its name, if that's all good. Come on by!

This isn't really a stream - it's a series of scheduled broadcasts of local video captures, because I can't upload to Twitch without more followers. And I'd rather not upload playthroughs to YouTube because it would clutter my library. Anyway, in short I've shared a few videos from an ongoing FFVI playthrough. I've just got to the World of Ruin - these videos in the below collection show various highlights of my journey so far...

https://www.twitch.tv/collections/0ZhACc6gjhb6sA

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I streamed Big Boo's Haunt last night! I was emulating SM64 DS as I remember more of it than the original, and I had to jump between saves to avoid the massive detour needed to unlock Wario and get the two stars that require his abilities, but I managed to show off the star locations without wasting too much time forgetting things and getting lost. (That said, I had done some practice runs earlier in the month. :D )

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1192407777

The "Seasonal" collection at https://www.twitch.tv/qazimod/videos has previous Halloween streams of mine :) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/04/2021 at 21:09, Qazimod said:

"Gitaroo Mondays" is finished. ^_^ And yes, that's 25 minutes of attempts on the final stage. :blush: Skip to 20:14 for the successful attempt.

Great. Now do the PS2 version. 🦾

:ph34r:

I do have the disc here, even if I don’t have a PS2 at present. I remember Zowie wrecking me though, even on Easy.

I’m currently sharing Chrono Trigger recordings on my channel as I’m not important enough to be able to do normal uploads to Twitch. :P All of the recordings are here on my PC locally; I’m just sharing a few at a time on my channel. CT and FFVI were two oldies I missed out on in the 90s, and I only played through both recently, so now I’ve put together some videos.

4 hours ago, Billy Brown said:

I got raided by FUCKING LIMMY last night. Still not quite sure it was real. Thanks for being there @Shoes!

Was so awesome. Didn't regocnise you at first - was streaming on my phone in bed, stoned off my nut, asked about the follower alert and it sort of all clicked when you said 'that 5 of 6 / Shoes' :wub: there's only about three people who'd call me 5 of 6!

It was a great night, shame about the Rubik's cube speedrrun. The pressure must have got to you, brother.

8 minutes ago, Shoes said:

It was a great night, shame about the Rubik's cube speedrrun. The pressure must have got to you, brother.

It's going to be a hard one to live down. A real albatross around my neck forever more.