rllmuk
Gorf King

The Lighthouse (2019 US, 2020 UK lol)

It’s getting a release at the Picture House near me in Exeter so there should a few options nationwide 

This is wild. Dafoe is the best I've ever seen him. It's super dark and occasionally funny. The descent into drunken madness reminded me a lot of Wake in Fright, but this is something else. 

• Upvote 3

I'm... really disappointed in this. Great imagery, but it takes forever to get going and then goes from zero to baffling pretty much immediately.

For context, The Witch is one of my favourite horror films of all time.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

I fucking loved it after they dug up that crate of booze. The film doesn't stop after that. 

• Upvote 1

Just back from seeing this. I had high expectations after The Witch, which were not only met but exceeded. The story, the score (the score!), the cinematography and the language felt like everything I'd want from it. I wasn't expecting it to be so funny but some of it was surprisingly hilarious.

Spoiler

"Swab, dog... swab!"

Dafoe was absolutely magnetic throughout, possibly the best I've ever seen him. Who knew he could be so passionate about lobster?

• Upvote 3

Really annoyed because even though there was posters up at my local cineworld for this, the nearest cinema showing it is in Glasgow. No use when I'm in Aberdeen. There may be a showing at the Picturehouse cinema but I already pay for my unlimited card. 

49 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

Really annoyed because even though there was posters up at my local cineworld for this, the nearest cinema showing it is in Glasgow. No use when I'm in Aberdeen. There may be a showing at the Picturehouse cinema but I already pay for my unlimited card. 

Not to be one of those, but it's "out there" if you're struggle to find a cinema close

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LeighCb said:

You should watch it now while it's out in the cinema.

Maybe tomorrow is Kerraig’s 90th birthday?

This was a tremendous watch, but I found it a bit frustrating at the end as I wanted to know more than it was willing to tell me.

Some of the moments will stay with me for a very long time, even though I doubt I'll watch it again.

On a technical note I want to know how they did the seagull - was it CG?

The seagulls were actors apparently (for the single shots at least), they had multiple ones for the 'same' seagull that were all good at doing specific things (learned this from he Kermode/Mayo interview with Dafoe last week). 

I went to check the imdb trivia to find out more - discovered there was a 2016 movie titled 'The Lighthouse' about two lighthouse keepers stranded on their rock in the early 19th century that slowly go insane, both called Tom, both drink themselves into a stupor with a cache of booze they find stashed after supplies run out during a storm.

Hmmmmm.... both based on the same real event apparently but that's a bit close for comfort isn't it?

I grew up in Orkney, so I know you can train gulls to catch chips flung into the air from a fish supper, but never imagined you could train them to act. Also annoyed to read user reviews claiming the birds were ridiculously oversized - blackback gulls are huuuuge FFS.

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

This was a tremendous watch, but I found it a bit frustrating at the end as I wanted to know more than it was willing to tell me.

Some of the moments will stay with me for a very long time, even though I doubt I'll watch it again.

On a technical note I want to know how they did the seagull - was it CG?

Spoiler

Also read that they used a rubber gull for that scene!

On 31/01/2020 at 23:34, Made of Ghosts said:

I'm... really disappointed in this. Great imagery, but it takes forever to get going and then goes from zero to baffling pretty much immediately.

For context, The Witch is one of my favourite horror films of all time.

I had high expectations for this but it was like experiencing sub-par Beckett. It wasn't without merit but it literally limped towards the inevitable conclusion. I'm going to give The Witch a go though.

• Empathy 1

Holy shit that was certainly something!

Spoiler

Old Tom’s savage put down of young Tom was simply incredible (and the mirrored scene with his “your not one for words”) retort, how the fuck didn’t Dafoe get all the acting awards?! Loved how hurt he was about his lobster cooking and the way he lit and smoked his pipe. The bit where they were both off they heads on honey and oil sitting under the table as the storm crashed through the window. The mermaid vagina! Jesus fucking Christ that mermaid vagina!!!

Loved it!

• Upvote 1

It's been about a week since I saw it, and I still don't want to watch it again, but I haven't stopped thinking about it either. Willem Dafoe might have become one of my favourite people without me noticing.

I'm also secretly desperate for any reason at all to use "Ye a dullard? Fooled me..." in my daily life. No chance has presented itself so I just say it to myself from time to time lol

• Upvote 2

I like this one

"I'm sick of your laugh, your snoring, and your goddamned farts. Your damned goddamned farts. Goddamn yer farts! You smell like piss, you smell like jism, like rotten dick, like curdled foreskin, like hot onions fucked a farmyard shit-house".

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

It's been about a week since I saw it, and I still don't want to watch it again, but I haven't stopped thinking about it either. Willem Dafoe might have become one of my favourite people without me noticing.

I'm also secretly desperate for any reason at all to use "Ye a dullard? Fooled me..." in my daily life. No chance has presented itself so I just say it to myself from time to time lol

he's the absolute best. Watch him in platoon and to Live and Die in LA to see the early signs of one of the most interesting character actors of our times. 

"You aint a firing squad you piece of SHIT!"

Is this only limited release?  Would not mind watching it but not on in any of the Cineworld cinemas at least around here.

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

he's the absolute best. Watch him in platoon and to Live and Die in LA to see the early signs of one of the most interesting character actors of our times. 

"You aint a firing squad you piece of SHIT!"

Recently enjoyed him playing Van Gogh in At Eternity's Gate. (Not sure if that's the first time I've seen him play a leading role?) He was great in The Florida Project too. I always liked him but he's had a good string of standout roles in the last few years.

Need a week to recover from seeing that. Amazing stuff. How in the name of fuck did it not get all the Oscars?

• Upvote 3

After Dafoe's monologue half-way through everyone in Hollywood was too terrified at the prospect of sharing the stage with him in the event he won an award?

This was a superb counterpart to The Witch, not just in the obvious masculine vs feminine thing but its claustrophobia versus agoraphobia, the texture of the presentation, and so on. And as overwhelming as it is, it's often absolutely hilarious and absurd when it wants to be.

• Upvote 4

It's funny in a terrifying way. The absolute madness of the drinking. I'm wondering what it was they were putting in the booze in that one scene?

My local Cineworld has seen fit to now show this, so went in last night. What a film!! Claustrophobic, intense and a very oppressive atmosphere combined with some very solid cinematography. Loved the decent into madness and all the imagery used throughout. William Dafoe is an absolute beast and his performance is one of the best. Criminal that he wasn't up for an Oscar. Special mention to the sound too which really helped the atmosphere with the Purge like foghorn.

• Upvote 2