The Irishman - Martin Scorsese, with Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci and Al Pacino

On 28/08/2019 at 09:31, neoELITE said:

Can't wait for this. I watched Goodfellas again a few weeks ago. It's still an amazing film and hasn't aged. 

It has, you just watched the de-aged version. 

Seriously though, I thought the effect as applied on DeNiro was entirely conspicuous, nothing like the impressive job that was done on Samuel L Jackson in Captain Marvel. At first I didn’t understand why it was being done at all, but then Joe Pesci’s character refers to him as a kid at the beginning. 

Difficult not to be enticed by that lineup though. 

I think one of the issues has to be that Robert De Niro looks significantly older/different than his younger self, not just in his looks but in his build, whereas Samuel L Jackson hasn't actually aged that much (even his build is very similar to when he was younger), he certainly doesn't look 70!

If you think of a young Robert De Niro, you're going to think of something like this:

robert-de-niro-taxi-driver-icense.jpg.9be07eff56ff003308cd8bd26e87582a.jpg

or maybe this...

c1da97f935ae898f4924afca108712a5.jpg.83075de4d453303b2e058259060f153c.jpg

DeNiro looks really different to that now, I think we've all got an image of what DeNiro should look like if he's de-aged and even with the greatest technology it's not going to happen (unless they got a different actor and then had a similar approach to Rogue One). 

Here's an image of the de-aged DeNiro, which is pretty good but again, it's not what we'd likely expect to see of a "young" DeNiro.

f6b6f6b0-b2a3-11e9-afbf-351dd18fbd89.thumb.jpg.9ec2f9c98cce27dede9c777322c7489a.jpg

Still, it's good to see that it's not all CGI and they're using some practical FX. Like comedy shoes to make him taller....

gallery-1513855308-robert-de-niro-wears-platforms-the-irishman.thumb.jpg.e1411deb954561b02a941a20239a2e2a.jpg

I just hope the whole "de-aged" thing doesn't become the big focus, hopefully the acting is great - it's been a while since DeNiro or Pacino have pushed themselves, hopefully it's more Heat and less Righteous Kill.

On 08/09/2019 at 09:20, gone fishin' said:

I think one of the issues has to be that Robert De Niro looks significantly older/different than his younger self, not just in his looks but in his build, whereas Samuel L Jackson hasn't actually aged that much (even his build is very similar to when he was younger), he certainly doesn't look 70!

If you think of a young Robert De Niro, you're going to think of something like this:

robert-de-niro-taxi-driver-icense.jpg.9be07eff56ff003308cd8bd26e87582a.jpg

or maybe this...

c1da97f935ae898f4924afca108712a5.jpg.83075de4d453303b2e058259060f153c.jpg

DeNiro looks really different to that now, I think we've all got an image of what DeNiro should look like if he's de-aged and even with the greatest technology it's not going to happen (unless they got a different actor and then had a similar approach to Rogue One). 

Here's an image of the de-aged DeNiro, which is pretty good but again, it's not what we'd likely expect to see of a "young" DeNiro.

f6b6f6b0-b2a3-11e9-afbf-351dd18fbd89.thumb.jpg.9ec2f9c98cce27dede9c777322c7489a.jpg

Still, it's good to see that it's not all CGI and they're using some practical FX. Like comedy shoes to make him taller....

gallery-1513855308-robert-de-niro-wears-platforms-the-irishman.thumb.jpg.e1411deb954561b02a941a20239a2e2a.jpg

I just hope the whole "de-aged" thing doesn't become the big focus, hopefully the acting is great - it's been a while since DeNiro or Pacino have pushed themselves, hopefully it's more Heat and less Righteous Kill.

What's with Pacino's GIANT COAT?

The deaging stuff looks pretty ropey. Colours of eyes and skin is too saturated.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with that kind of fakery is that you'll be looking out for it instead of concentrating on the film. I found the same with Children Of Men and its epic unbroken (or digitally edited to look unbroken) tracking shots. As technically proficient as they are, you'll still always have the trickery forefront in your mind.

I think if you didn't know what those actors look like now you probably wouldn't notice. But we do.

Initial reviews have started to appear, reckoning that the film is a near masterpiece. Most mention how good Pesci is and how the runtime flashes by.

More than one also mentions it being quite humourous and how it’s a portrait of age and getting old.

2 hours ago, Goose said:

Initial reviews have started to appear, reckoning that the film is a near masterpiece. Most mention how good Pesci is and how the runtime flashes by.

More than one also mentions it being quite humourous and how it’s a portrait of age and getting old.

Hopefully.

3 hours ago, Bazjam said:

Is this getting a nation wide cinema release, or just a few screens in London?

I’m not sure about the UK, but several big US chains (including the owner of Odeon in the UK) are refusing to show it. I imagine it will be the same for UK chains. I know some have spoken against it at least. So you may need an indie or perhaps some smaller chain may show it. It was the same for Roma last year. 

13 hours ago, gone fishin' said:

I know this is going to be on Netflix within weeks, but the thought of a Scorsese film with DeNiro,Pacino,Pesci and Keitel just means it has to be watched in the cinema, because it’s probably never going to happen again.

this, so much this

Yeah, wasn't it originally going to be Netflix only? This movie release feels like a recent development? It's a weird one, I wonder how popular it can be at the cinema when people know it's coming to Netflix a couple of weeks later? Like a few of you people, I'm also in that group that WOULD pay to go and see it in the cinema. I think we're a minority though, I don't see this having a huge wide release. 

Whereas I'm the opposite. I'd happily pay a premium to have new movie releases streamed to my own TV. 

Can watch at time of my choosing, in the comfort of my own home. 

A better picture quality than most franchise cinemas. 

And most importantly, no fucking idiots to potentially spoil the movie-watching experience. 

4 hours ago, Indistinct chattering said:

The whole right hand side ofAl Pacinos face looks like one of those old Maxim magazine covers when photoshop 2.1 was new

Even following this I still don’t see the fault. Is it his cheek looking a bit brown?

EDIT: Oh hang on, I thought Pacino was the one at the front. Is he the guy with the hat?

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Even following this I still don’t see the fault. Is it his cheek looking a bit brown?

EDIT: Oh hang on, I thought Pacino was the one at the front. Is he the guy with the hat?

I only recognise De Niro in that photo. Who are the other two?