NFL 2020!

I got into NFL via my dad who got into it in the 80s when it was pushed a fair bit in the UK, he is a Washington fan, so I grew up with the maroon and gold around the house, and of course, the colours are iconic and synonymous with the sport, it would be sad if they changed that.  I'd also like to see them do well again.

As a Seahawks fan myself, I'm not keen on yet another bird team.

Ditto, used to watch with my Dad back in the C4 days when it first came on.

I remember a line from Tony Kornheisser(sp?) that 'They should keep the name but change to logo to a potato'.

2 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Washington Senators also used to be an MLB team.

Did they relocate? I didnt know them, only knew of the Nationals or Capitals (nhl).

48 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

Mahomes given a 10 year contract extension worth $503 with $477 in guarantees. Chiefs not messing about.

indeed, that’s nearly a thousand dollars, all in!

6 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Mahomes given a 10 year contract extension worth $503m with $477m in guarantees. Chiefs not messing about.

Great news for him but it means I’ve got a decade of playing cheesy idiots in Madden. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, BabelRich said:

Mahomes given a 10 year contract extension worth $503m with $477m in guarantees. Chiefs not messing about.

Was just away to post this, mental stuff. Im all for the best players getting whatever they want so good for him.

Just heard on Clay Travis that theres stat where the highest paid RB ever is white, (McCaffrey) and the highest paid QB, (and athlete in general, Mahomes, is black. There was a time either would have been unthinkable for somepeople let alone both together. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Redskins are now the "Washington Football Team". Descriptive.

Seems like a temporary name just for this season, so if it comes across like a placeholder, I guess it's because it is. Obviously glad they're making some sort of change regardless.

26 minutes ago, Liamness said:

The Redskins are now the "Washington Football Team". Descriptive.

Seems like a temporary name just for this season, so if it comes across like a placeholder, I guess it's because it is. Obviously glad they're making some sort of change regardless.

Yup, it’s just for the 2020 season to give them more time to sort the new brand out. Using same unis with all Redskins text changes to Washington and player numbers in gold on the helmet instead of the logo. 

It’s a great marketing ploy I think. Whatever they rename would be rubbish and annoy plenty of fans and Trump supporters. Calling them a crap name for a season, it can only get better right...?

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2020 at 21:24, McFly said:

XFL has gone under too. I watched a few games and it was ok couldve served a purpose like NFL Europe used to do. But it was just wasnt right somehow.

The Rock has bought XFL!

I made a conscious effort to research the teams and find one to “support.” Consider me a massive fan of...

2-Defenders-logo-rgb.png

DC Defenders because
they have the best kit.

16 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

The Rock has bought XFL!

I made a conscious effort to research the teams and find one to “support.” Consider me a massive fan of...

Hide contents

2-Defenders-logo-rgb.png

DC Defenders because

Hide contents
they have the best kit.

I find the whole 'picking a team' thing really interesting, how do you pick a team?  I'm sure most of the stories end up being anecdotal, or historical.

I mainly follow 2 disciplines of sport, NFL and F1.

F1 was easy, I was sucked in by the beauty of Ferrari's road cars, and the passion of the team.

NFL, I was a bit older.  The Washington Redskins Football Team was the obvious choice as my dad supported them, but I chose differently.  I got into NFL via NFL Quarterback club on the SNES.  It was 1995.  I chose a team with a nice logo, a nice colour scheme, and a mediocre stat bar - I didn't want to pick the best, that's boring.  I didn't want the worst either.  Oddly enough, the more I found out about the Seattle Seahawks, the more I felt proud of my choice and my team.

And so XFL...  I don't even know what XFL is (I mean, it's a football league started by a wrestling guy (referee / commentator / owner?), now owner by an ex wrestler, in 2020's biggest shock - Ballers is future-autobiographical.

I googled the DC defenders to see their full kit,m beyond the video gaming clan logo.

I saw there was a Sesttle team, the Dragons. Who doesn't like dragons.  The colour scheme makes them look a bit more like the Seattle Gator(ade)s though, not the best.

I saw a thumbnail of a highlight reel.

I admit, I was drawn in by the Tampa Bay Vipers kit.  The colours really suit my tastes, I'm all over their Kermit-combo.

I watched the reel - this highlight reel.

Steve Largent.

And that's Centrylink.

They are obviously aiming at the 12th men.

Not the greatest start, then a pick 6.

Then they go for and get 2.

By this point i'm cheering for them and it's only been a 2 minute video.

Interception in the end zone from the bomb at the end.

Coach Jim Zorn.

I still don't know much abouit the XFL, but I'm now a fan of the Seattle Dragons...

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can I ask in here about suggestions for my keepers in my fantasy NFL draft? 0.5 PPR league. I'm 5th pick in a snake draft.

I need to choose 2 and have whittled it down to 3. My choices, and the round I'd get them in:

Tyreek Hill KC - WR (2)

Kenyan Drake Ari - RB (8)

Kareem Hunt Cle - RB (17)

Kenyan Drake is a definite, right?

I'm making a spreadsheet by calculating the average ranking of every player from a ton of lists and at the moment, in a 10 team league like mine, it's predicting Hill to go in the first round, Drake to go in the third and Hunt to go in the seventh.

Drake and Hunt, or Drake and Hill?

• 4 weeks later...

I got the 8th pick in my league too. Ended up with this:

fantasyteam.thumb.PNG.9beb7fb9720091a30f34572319ed850c.PNG

With these for kicker and D:

fantasyteam2.PNG.d4f20dece7888315ea6b8e76723b69bb.PNG

I think I did pretty well apart from my situation at tight end. I was just about to take Mark Andrews in the 5th round but he went the pick before mine. Anyway, after 4 years of challenging for the championship, I came penultimate last in 2019 - hopefully I'll have a return to form this season!

• Harrisown changed the title to NFL 2020!