rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - August ‘19: Daytona Series [Poll for September is up - VOTE NOW!]

Vote for your choice of game for September Rllmuk Retro Club  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 22/08/2019 at 22:43, Camel said:

FWIW I don't find it any better with a wheel.

I think its wonkiness is part of its longevity. In the arcade days it acted as a great leveller between those who drove in real life and those that didn't giving everyone the same starting point skills wise.

On 22/08/2019 at 12:17, PengTiki said:

I'd like an excuse to give the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on NES a go. Along with any of the others up to the early 90s. They came out on a lot of systems so could be interesting.

Commemorating the 30th anniversary of the NES game’s release. Sounds like a great idea. I’d be interested in revisiting the Game Boy games, too.

Ok, I’ve spoke to Wev and decided upon a slight alteration based on what he suggested in a previous post about how the poll should work and the nominations. I’m going to reduce the poll itself to three choices allowing them to gain more traction so it’s not simply a case of each person picking his/her own game choice and adding more strength to the chosen 3. Each of the remaining games will be saved back in a special vault for one more go as part of the following month and then removed after that. New ideas for games can be added each time but should be one per person. 

Oh and obviously the polling games will be selected at complete random. 

On 22/08/2019 at 04:17, PengTiki said:

I'd like an excuse to give the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on NES a go. Along with any of the others up to the early 90s. They came out on a lot of systems so could be interesting.

Actually I’d be down for this too - it got a bit nuts at times but having a month to play may motivate me into persevering. ;) For nostalgia’s sake I’d probably try the C64 version...

1 hour ago, Soulstar said:

Ok, I’ve spoke to Wev and decided upon a slight alteration based on what he suggested in a previous post about how the poll should work and the nominations. I’m going to reduce the poll itself to three choices allowing them to gain more traction so it’s not simply a case of each person picking his/her own game choice and adding more strength to the chosen 3. Each of the remaining games will be saved back in a special vault for one more go as part of the following month and then removed after that. New ideas for games can be added each time but should be one per person. 

Oh and obviously the polling games will be selected at complete random. 

Forget Drill Dozer.  I've had my idea chosen twice - I'll let other people's ideas have more chance of random selection for the time being.  Unless anyone suggests it, of course.

Or... less options in a poll, but better tracking of nominations that don't make it. Create a big ol' GoogleDocs spreadsheet, put months along the top, forumites down the left and nominations in the middle. Highlight everything that makes it into the next poll, and then for the following month bias poll options towards forumites who didn't have a highlighted suggestion last time.

Or maybe that's way too much work :lol: 

Ok below is the first list to use the new voting format. I’ve kept Drill Dozer in btw as it doesn’t really matter @bum. Exciting times are to come shortly as I’ll be rolling the random choice generator to select 3 from this list. The rest will be mixed with next month’s selections. Poll coming soon. 

September Choices 

Turtles NES and eary 90s

Ridge Racer Series

Shinobi

Eswat

Pang

Decap Attack

Cosmic Smash

Drill Dozer

Turmoil 

Doom

Once we do have choice, I think for things with a series, we need to be clear what’s to be included as some have so many that we might stray too far and everyone is suddenly on adifferent page and era. I think it needs to be quite tight. The exception to this would be ports of the same game across different systems.

• Upvote 2

I’ve had  sudden urge to change my personal decision from Pang to the English translation of the SNES game Shin Megami Tensei, purely because I’ve never finished it yet and have started it twice in the past l, almost finishing it during the second play through, and I even remember documenting it all in a thread on here. It also plays excellently on a phone and is a great RPG, better than Persona 1 which I struggled to enjoy. I’ve also got a gap between games right now so can commit. 

Annoyingly the message I just put together complete with images decided to wipe itself clean. I hate using a phone to do this.

So the selector has decided and we have the three chosen games, all of which are more on the quirky side of things and all are platformers of some descript. 

First up is 

ESWAT

spacer.png

Available on the arcade and also a genesis version which appear to be different games. Classic gun and run...or would that be run and gun? 1989 - 90 era.

second we have 

Drill Dozer 

spacer.png

A quirky action platformer very much Japanese in vibe and exclusive to the GBA. Came out 2006. 

Finally we have 

Turmoil 

spacer.png

The oldest one of the lot and appeared on the ZX Spectrum in 84, later being ported to the MSX in 86. This one’s more of a classic single screen experience very involving a man a can some oil and arabs. 

Think about your choice for September. Poll will end on the 1st this Sunday. I’ll add the poll to this thread shortly. 

• Upvote 4

I'm gonna have to think hard on this one, Drill Dozer looks like amazing fun but I've never ever played anything from the Spectrum (that I'm aware of)

Has Turmoil ever been included on a compilation for a modern console?  I don't have any way of playing MSX or Speccy games.

MSX emulation is dead easy to figure out - I used it for the original Parodius during the Parodius month. Failing that there are probably browser-based emulators that host the game without you having to do the technical stuff. :) 

16 hours ago, Soulstar said:

ESWAT

Available on the arcade and also a genesis version which appear to be different games. Classic gun and run...or would that be run and gun? 1989 - 90 era.

There are the following versions of Eswat to play:

Arcade (mame is fine)

Amiga

Atari ST

Amstrad CPC

Commodore 64

Mastersystem

ZX Spectrum

and of course the ESWAT: City Under Siege game on the Mega Drive

17 hours ago, Qazimod said:

MSX emulation is dead easy to figure out - I used it for the original Parodius during the Parodius month. Failing that there are probably browser-based emulators that host the game without you having to do the technical stuff. :) 

You're right, but I don't much like playing games on my computer, except a few rts games.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

ESWAT wins! I can't say I'm too familiar with it, but it looks like fun. :) 

There are so many versions on different platforms