rllmuk
grindmouse

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends (Nov 19 EU Release, Switch)

6 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

This includes the original Bubble Bobble too!

Source: cba to find.

The company posted it on twitter yesterday. Link is in one of the Switch threads.

Physical is up on Amazon. £35 Standard / £45 Special Edition:

spacer.png

4-Player Co-Op Mode

After more than 10 years finally the official sequel of the critically acclaimed cult 80's game series Bubble Bobble

Created by TAITO - the company that practically started the video game revolution with their classic hit Space Invaders

100 Stages (50 family friendly / 50 challenging)

5 Bosses

Normally I would be tempted to support the series, but the art is so bad, plus Peb & Pab (!?) with the giant bows. Ugh.

Guessing digital will be around the £20-25 region.

SLG are doing a collectors edition limited to 2500 copies including an artbook, soundtrack which leans heavily on the original arcade game.

spacer.png

3F9ACC79-E2FD-4643-B607-394F7A90B54A.jpeg.d9d02c787942e23fdf8d4af1c59b2837.jpeg

Again highlights how bad the new art is. I’ve wanted a Taito artbook for ages so... tempting.

Hopefully it includes art from the other sequels too.

• Empathy 1

They've not even bothered to attach their feet to their body..

bb4f_screen_05.jpg

Add me to the 'much rather have a compilation of the old games' list..

27 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Looks good, but ooh £36 for the digital?  Perhaps I am being unfair, but that seems a touch on the high side. 

Just wait for the Christmas sale. :P

I canceled my Pokemon preorder and spent three days complaining because it didn’t look up to scratch, meanwhile dropped £70 on the CE of this shovelware mess in the hopes the book is decent. Daft.

• Empathy 1

So this is apparently, not terrible. 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/20/bubble-bobble-4-friends-review-nintendo-switch-11188899/

In Short: The best Bubble Bobble game in over two decades and while it isn’t quite as perfectly formed as the original it is one of the best couch co-op games of the year.

Pros: The central gameplay and controls are perfect. Four-player co-op is a lot of fun and the level and boss design is good. Great music and the original coin-op is a nice bonus.

Cons: Too few stages and the non-hard mode is too easy. New emphasis on unlockable skills is an unwelcome change. No online options.

Score: 7/10

Has there been a mainline sequel in the last two decades?

Bubble Symphony - 1994

Bubble Memories - 1996

Better than the 00’s handheld titles isn’t saying much. Certainly the less said about that atrocious Rainbow Islands sequel the better. 

I won’t get to play this until Jan. Doesn’t seem like anyone else here has taken a punt on it yet. 

50 single screen stages seems criminally low for full price.

I bought it. I haven't played much but to be honest I wasn't impressed. It's just ok. Then I went into classic mode and was reminded why the original is a stone cold classic.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I could be tempted by this but not at £35, its one that needs a good 50-60% off to get me buying.

My thoughts precisely. £17.99 and we’re in business.

2 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I just want the original :(

Is it the arcade version so it has all the secrets, timers, etc or is it based on a port? (The original I mean)

Supposedly a perfect port like the arcade archive release on XB1/PS4.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

It could be tested by someone with the inclination... this article gives a summary of what I’m on about:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/bubble-bobbles-deep-dark-secret/

I’m certain the Arcade Archive release had all of this because I got heavily into it a couple of years ago. Once you learn about the complex systems under the hood the game goes from being a pleasant piece of nostalgia to an incredible score attack game, which absolutely stands up today. 

I wish we had a similar release for Rainbow Islands.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Sweet, that’s promising then. I still play it regularly so would be nice to have a good portable version :)

We already do - Bubble Bobble Old & New on the GBA.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Loved Bubble Bobble old and New. Although i think i played "old" way, way more than "new".

Yep. That was the best way!

I cancelled my preorder for the collectors edition. I mainly wanted it for the artbook - maybe there will be a Taito artbook at retail eventually.

I would pick this up digitally on sale but the aesthetics are a real downer.

Also: http://www.numskull.com/bubble-bobble-quarter-scale-arcade-cabinet/

Hard to justify €95 on a collectors edition of this trash when you can buy a dinky arcade machine for £130.

I’ll tell you something weird, what is the first question that pops up when you see a 1/4 scale arcade machine? For me it’s “What size is it?” And as far as I can tell there are zero details of dimensions on the website.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

I’ll tell you something weird, what is the first question that pops up when you see a 1/4 scale arcade machine? For me it’s “What size is it?” And as far as I can tell there are zero details of dimensions on the website.

I'm going to wait and see if Arcade1Up do a Taito cabinet because they have a few games on a machine and are actually playable. These quarter machines seem too small and fiddly to play - so it just becomes an expensive desk ornament. There are also replicade. They are similar to the Numskulls cabinets though - maybe slightly smaller.

Maybe folks in the retro folder will have more details on the practicalities of these cabinets.

47 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Every time this thread is bumped I’m expecting someone to be saying it’s reduced to under £10 or so :hmm:

Me too. This is getting bought as soon as it's on sale - I assume it's flopped massively due to the greedy RRP.