MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

On 14/12/2020 at 20:45, shiffy said:

@AceGrace - Cadillacs & Dinosaurs is now officially available, or as official as it will ever be! If you've used "update_all" you should see it listed as Cadillacs & Dinosaurs amongst your main list of MRA files. You may run into an issue with it not starting (related to the SDram issue that's being talked about). If it doesn't start then select another CPS1.5 game (The Punisher or Warriors Of Fate seem to work for me) and then go back to Cadillacs.

@Colonel Panic From this moment on assume that the Retrodriven script no longer exists! There are two main scripts in use. The official updater will pull down nearly everything that is in the official MiSTer repository. It will set up the SDcard with what is considered to be the best layout for the folder structure. The unofficial "update_all" uses the official script to download this official layout as above, but will also download the unofficial cores of Jotego (and others). Simply using "update_all" in it's default setting will get everything you need if you were setting up a new SDcard from scratch and place all the files in the right place. I know this only partially answers the question about a curated set of cores. I've sent you a PM regarding more about this.

Shiffy, that worked. I ran the Punisher, then Cadillacs and it booted.  :D

I did the sd ram test. the 48mhz has 2 red lines but the 96mhz is fine.

Should I be concerned?

@acegrace Would you be able to post a video or pic of these red lines? As I mentioned earlier, my sdram passed without any issues and I only ever saw the green screen.

I'm still of the thinking that there isn't really an issue. When this first came to light it was with the first public release of the CPS1.5 core. With this release Jotego changed the sdram controller, that's when the issues started. Given how many people were experiencing issues then, in comparison to what Jotego's poll showed (after reworking this controller - most people's ram passed both 48MHz & 96MHz) I still think that this was caused by something in Jotego's controller rather than a flaw with the sdram module. Admittedly, I don't actually know what Jotego's memory test is looking for. Obviously, the red screen / lines that he wanted people to tell him about gave him some vital information. I wish i knew what it was!

In all honesty, I wouldn't be too worried about your Jotego test failing at 48MHz, I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy a new board because of it.

As an aside, an update to the official memtest core has come out and I've just started running a test. So far, 19 minutes in & my sdram is stable at 143Mhz. I'm going to practice the piano for a few hours so I'll edit this post with my results later on.

EDIT: - I think the test must have given an error at some point running at 143MHz, but it then ran at 142MHz for two hours with errors. Top left number shows time run in minutes, top right show the speed in MHz. The red number is the important one, shows zero errors.

20210117_204939-screen.png

I didn't run the official one. I'll run that hopefully tomorrow and also video Jotega's one.

I haven't found anything that doesn't work so far. Do you know know why running the punisher first made Cadellacs work?  Does it write some files somewhere?

@Count BuffalosIn your arcade folder just create two folders, they can be named anything but just name them CPS1.5 and Cave for easy identification. Find your ***.mra files for CPS1.5 games and DoDonpachi and drop them into the relevant folder. For the official memtest core a quick test can be as little as five minutes. If there's a problem with the sdram board itself it will probably give an error within that time. The longer you leave it running without errors the better. Testing for an hour should tell you if your sdram is good or not. I think the accepted speed without showing any errors is 130MHz, anything speed above 130MHz is considered a bonus! I edited my post above with the results of my test earlier this evening.

@AceGraceI honestly don't know why the Cadellacs exhibits this behaviour, although since the last update from Jotego Cadellacs does now start first time, at least for me! He updated most of his cores a couple of days ago so if you haven't run the updater for a week or so it's worth running it now. I'm still getting that "illegal instruction" message with the CPS1.5  wresting games though (Saturday Night Slam Masters and it's sequals). Jotego has hinted that this is a different issue and not sdram related ..... I don't know! I suspected this was all drama on Jotego's part when this "sdram issue" first came to light a few weeks back, I still haven't seen anything to change my mind on this.

A new beta core has appeared for a few arcade games. These include Qbert, Qbert Qubes, Curve Ball, Insector, Mad Planets & Tylz. For those interested in having a go at trying these out you'll have to do a manual setup as the updaters won't grab the .mra & .rbf yet.

Grab the core RBF file here and put it into /_Arcade/cores

Download each of the MRA files here. On Github, click the link for each mra file, then right-click on "raw" and then select "save link as / save as".

You'll have to find the "missing components" by yourself!

Bear in mind that this is a beta so expect to see a few issues. The screenshots were taken from my MiSter earlier today (pre-scaler).

20210118_152424-screen.png

20210118_152554-screen.png

20210118_152729-screen.png

20210118_152745-screen.png

20210118_152821-screen.png

20210118_152852-screen.png

20210118_152946-screen.png

20210118_153001-screen.png

Any of you mister ninjas got one of these running in a jamma cab?  The recent Dodonpachi release has piqued my interest. Way cheaper than getting an original board. This is def the future if they can get it 1:1 with original hardware like. 

I don't have it hooked up at the moment, but I've run mine in a Sega Aero City using a JPAC and a small amplifier in bridged mono mode to take care of the sound into the Jamma connector.

Works great, but I don't really want to rotate my display at the moment. 

Sorg is working on a Saturn core! He's questioning whether the current MiSTer build will be able to cope but he's trying!

From his Patreon page: "My goal is to recreate the Saturn entirely in FPGA, especially on MiSTer FPGA. I'll try to make the core as accurate as possible."

7 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Sorg is working on a Saturn core! He's questioning whether the current MiSTer build will be able to cope but he's trying!

It's actually being worked on by srg320, the coder of the Snes, MegaCD & the reworked PCE-CD cores and not Sorg (Alexey Melnikov)! Although Sorg will get involved once (and if) it's close to being complete and nearing release.

I saw that this was "breaking news" last night, but there was a lot of scepticism as to whether this was really genuine. In the past srg320 has proven to be quite secretive & doesn't communicate anywhere except directly with other coders & releasing cores out of the blue (SNES)! To suddenly see Patreon & Twitter posts claiming to be srg320 along with a bios booting video with some "interesting sounds" in the background set a lot of alarm bells ringing in the community. Further posts overnight seem to legitimse the claims though.

If srg320 really is attempting to bring the Saturn to MiSTer then one of the best people is working on it. As someone who is still a little sceptical of the developing PS1 core (recent videos are changing my mind though) I think the Saturn will be a tall order for the DE-10. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

EDIT: Just seen a post from someone that Sorg has confirmed that srg320 is indeed working on the Saturn core.

Considering the userbase of this thing is pretty much entirely fairly dedicated retrogamers, the available cases are surprisingly uninspired/bland. I know the contents are more important than the case, but hopefully we'll see some more interesting case options in future.  

I'd love to be able to get an 80s home computer style case (with working keyboard) or just something with a bit more charm or relevance to retro computing/gaming hardware designs than the charmless little plastic/aluminium boxes we currently have to choose from. 

Great thread. I am very tempted by one of these.

For those of you not buying the kits, in these nicer housings... what are you doing? Can you shown some photos of your setup? 

On one hand, if you have a cab, or can just tuck the device away, why not? On the other hand, if it's "on display" or prone to dust, a case would be nice. Would love to see how you guys all have your setups. 

I'm naturally tempted at just getting a generic setup, because those aluminium boxes (stormtrooper) look so nice, but I don't think I need the I/O board, being as I don't yet have a CRT.