MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

59 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Yeah, this guy is also trying to gey the Sinden working on the MiSTer.

Instantly regretting selling my Sinden Lightgun!

Yeah, pretty obvious. USB board at the bottom, main board in the middle, memory slotted into that, IO board at the top. The USB and main boards connect using a bridge, the IO board just clips onto the main board. Just post if you’re struggling :)

5 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, pretty obvious. USB board at the bottom, main board in the middle, memory slotted into that, IO board at the top. The USB and main boards connect using a bridge, the IO board just clips onto the main board. Just post if you’re struggling :)

Thank you!

MiSTer.jpg

Which USB controller are you using @Tomdominer?

It'll be interesting to find out if you notice any difference when using the SNAC, especially on a flat panel.

My parts still aren't moving. The IO board is still on backorder (misterfpga.co.uk). There's no rush/panic, yet. It's still a way off my birthday.

Been using a few. I have been using the PlayStation USB classic controller, my old Capcom 6 button 360 fight pad. I also have a SNAC Snes adapter, but that didn't work. I assume I need some drivers or something. Although, it could also be a power issue, as the USB causes some power problems if you didn't upgrade to the 4 amp power pack.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the misterfpga.co.uk backorder. I had the same thing, and it shipped after about 5 days. He makes them to order.

13 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I also have a SNAC Snes adapter, but that didn't work. I assume I need some drivers or something. Although, it could also be a power issue, as the USB causes some power problems if you didn't upgrade to the 4 amp power pack.

The SNAC adapter has to go into the port on the IO board (if you didn't already know), and then the SNAC controller adapter into that. That post sounds like you might be trying it on the USB hub(?).

1 minute ago, Fallows said:

The SNAC adapter has to go into the port on the IO board (if you didn't already know). That post sounds like you might be trying it in the hub(?).

Yeah, just found that out! Works fine! So, tried a real snes upscaled using an OSSC compared to the MiSTer with the SNAC and I couldn't feel a difference on my CX Oled TV at all. The thing is a marvel. I would say that a standard USB controller maybe felt a tiny bit more laggy, maybe, but still completely fine and playable to me.

56 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I would say that a standard USB controller maybe felt a tiny bit more laggy, maybe, but still completely fine and playable to me.

There’s a script to run to enable USB fast poling, which improves USB performance - mentioned here (random video when I googled the name of the script).  With the right controllers there isn’t meant to be much in it compared to using SNAC.

Cool seeing the multitap working there!

2 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

So, this actually works...

Multitap.thumb.jpg.84fe574f97e6d80b3ded7b48f9f7ac20.jpg

What I'm most intrigued about here is that your SNAC controller adapter is going directly into the port on the IO board. I was under the impression that the controller adapter had to go into the SNAC board, which then goes into the port.

This thing: https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-snac-adapter-usb/

Yes, you can run games from an external USB drive. On an external HDD, create a folder called "games", then another folder called megaCD (my example here). Each game must be in it's own folder and unzipped. I can't remember which storage device takes priority on the MiSTer though. I'll check on that tomorrow.

Any core that uses cd images (or large hard disk images like the ao486 or Amiga (minimig) cores, you can offload those to an external hard drive so that you don't have to use a massive SD card.

7 hours ago, Peter St John said:

Obviously, the first thing I got it to do was play Robocop (128K). The most expensive Spectrum emulator I've ever bought…

that would be my surface book 

7 hours ago, Peter St John said:

Obviously, the first thing I got it to do was play Robocop (128K). The most expensive Spectrum emulator I've ever bought…

That music though...

16 hours ago, Fallows said:

What I'm most intrigued about here is that your SNAC controller adapter is going directly into the port on the IO board. I was under the impression that the controller adapter had to go into the SNAC board, which then goes into the port.

Yeah, that is weird. Maybe the IO board has been updated to handle SNAC directly? The IO board is now at v6.1 on the store and says "updated".

I just went to this link and it didn't mention having to order a separate SNAC usb board: https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-snac-controller-adapters/ and then plugged it straight in.

I'll need to look into that.

13 hours ago, shiffy said:

Yes, you can run games from an external USB drive. On an external HDD, create a folder called "games", then another folder called megaCD (my example here). Each game must be in it's own folder and unzipped. I can't remember which storage device takes priority on the MiSTer though. I'll check on that tomorrow.

Any core that uses cd images (or large hard disk images like the ao486 or Amiga (minimig) cores, you can offload those to an external hard drive so that you don't have to use a massive SD card.

Excellent, cheers.

Does the drive need to be formatted a particular way? I've got 200GB spare on our NTFS that we use for movies and such, so would like to use that if I can. Actually I've already got a load of PSOne ISOs already on there. :)

Edit: Found the answers elsewhere (just needs to be NTFS). Cheers anyway! 

I'll grab a fresh 2TB next month.

They're making absolutely thunderous strides with that PSX core, aren't they*?

Hopefully it'll be released very soon. Then that'll be one more console I can put away.

*'They' likely being just one person.

The progress on the PS1 core has been phenomenal. I've made no secret in the past that I thought the PS1 was beyond the scope of the DE10 have have been quite sceptical about whether or not they can pull it off. But every update I see is convincing me more & more that they will pull it off. It is still quite a long way off from release though, and we have to remember that what is being shown is not running on the DE10 at the moment.

There are a small team of programmers behind this. ElectronAsh has been involved somewhere along the line, not sure if he's still involved though as he tends to jump between projects. The main programmers behind this core are Laxer3A & Ultraembedded. I believe Ultraembedded is the most recent programmer to join the team behind the core, and brings a lot of FPGA programming and design experience with him.

So, I think this thing is incredible.

I haven't tried a Pi4, but for me, the ultra low input lag and emulator / simulator accuracy makes the games feel so much nicer that most emulator solutions that I've tried. The games just feel much so much better to play. From Final Fight to Donkey Kong and Defender. Everything feels so damn sharp and responsive. They also look really great. I like the straight upscale look of old games, but mileage may vary there, I suppose.

My only real disappointment so far is the lack of Konami representation. I CANNOT BELIEVE that no-one has done a Track & Field core! But also, I'd love to see TMNT, X-Men, Vendetta and Sunset Riders make an appearance. Also, R-Type and Xybots would be most welcome.

I suppose that's half to fun of the thing, waiting to see if some genius releases a new core of your favourite game!

I'm happy to hear this thing has your seal of approval, @Tomdominer

It's funny how easily I forget things now, at least until I see something that jogs the old memory. Although it is not available to the public there is a Track & Field Core, it just needs to be ported to the MiSTer. It was created by MiSTer-X years ago for his own private use. He had planned to bring it to the MiSTer at some point. Unfortunately, a double-whammy of a major health issue and business issues as a result of the pandemic have gotten in the way and have prevented MR-X from performing his magic. Although we don't expect to have him back programming cores full-time in the near future he has recovered significantly and is performing simple bug fixes to his existing cores. You can the Track & Field tweet here.

I'd also forgotten that RndMnkIII is working on the Konami Aliens board, this also means that TMNT should become a reality too thanks to this work. The reason why there isn't much in the way of Konami games at present is Konami used a lot of custom chips within their arcade boards. Some are well documented while others aren't. This is where people like Furrtek come in, I think he's decapped a few Konami chips relatively recently.

The DE10-Nano has arrived, thankfully evading customs inspection.

Now I just need to hope the same for my add-ons coming in from the UK. My gut tells me that the customs staff are going to be in 'best behaviour' mode for these first few months, so we'll have to see. :/  None of it has shipped yet, anyway. I'm hoping it's all here in time for my birthday next Wednesday.

It's great to see Mister FPGA getting such love here. It's a really wonderful bit of kit and I think it really excels in 8/16bit computers. The Amiga for example far surpasses anything I've used before - its just an Amiga!.

Anyway, check CPS2 Aliens vs Predator on the Mister - its utterly brilliant!

37 minutes ago, Fallows said:

The DE10-Nano has arrived, thankfully evading customs inspection.

Now I just need to hope the same for my add-ons coming in from the UK. My gut tells me that the customs staff are going to be in 'best behaviour' mode for these first few months, so we'll have to see. :/  None of it has shipped yet, anyway. I'm hoping it's all here in time for my birthday next Wednesday.

How much are the add-ons? If the combined cost of a package is under £135 (I think) and as long as you've been charged VAT by the seller (which you should have), it shouldn't get hit by any additional fees anymore.

33 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

How much are the add-ons? If the combined cost of a package is under £135 (I think) and as long as you've been charged VAT by the seller (which you should have), it shouldn't get hit by any additional fees anymore.

Just over £200. The trader is under the VAT threshold, so he doesn't charge VAT. :/

38 minutes ago, watusi said:

Anyway, check CPS2 Aliens vs Predator on the Mister - its utterly brilliant!

Indeed. This, on a PVM, with the USB Saturn controller... It's going to be like living in some kind of dream alternate timeline. Actually, I've been going on about re-living the days of CPS-2 and Neo ports with the Saturn pad, but I reckon the SNES controller is probably going to be better suited for scrollers.