MiSTer: FPGA gaming

What a brilliant idea.

Like a screen saver, MiSTer Super Attract Mode comes on when your MiSTer is idle. Then SAM will launch a random game from your library every few minutes. If you like a game that's currently playing, just pick up your controller and push a button, press a key, or move the mouse. SAM will wait until your MiSTer goes idle again. Then the gaming tour begins again!

Seems like a great way to happen upon previously unseen games if you have full ROM sets on your card.

On 23/04/2021 at 17:50, Fallows said:

X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, Super Gem Fighter, and Slam Masters 2 make for this week's CPS-II offering.

Update_all didn't pull down the Rom for X-Men vs. Street Fighter. Anyone else get this?

35 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Update_all didn't pull down the Rom for X-Men vs. Street Fighter. Anyone else get this?

Worked fine for me. Speed Rumbler is gone, though.

If you need the ROM for a manual install let me know.

Same.

MSH vs. SF, also. :)

Cyberbots is fantastic, as well. Almost CPS-III some of these animations. I'm guessing the mechs are built out of multiple sprites? 

Guys, there’s a guy who lives about 30 minutes away from me who sells the following set up for £330.

128GB microSD

128MB SDRAM Module for complete compatibility (checked with CPS1.5)

I/O Board V6.1 (Megadrive/Snac Compatible) fully built with 40mm Quiet Brushless Fan

7 Port USB Board with Power Splitter

CPU Heatsink Installed

Built and updated in a stylish case

Fully configured and ready to run

Simple to update, just run the update_all script installed and system will stay up to date on all cores/features.

Is that a good price or is it cheaper to build my own? 

7 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

It’s cheaper to build your own by about £30 I’d have said. I think it’s a decent price.

Cool, cheers mate.

10 hours ago, Swainy said:

Guys, there’s a guy who lives about 30 minutes away from me who sells the following set up for £330.

128GB microSD

I/O Board V6.1 (Megadrive/Snac Compatible) fully built with 40mm Quiet Brushless Fan

CPU Heatsink Installed

Simple to update, just run the update_all script installed and system will stay up to date on all cores/features.

Whereabouts is he based? Got a link? Considering getting into Mister a little down the line, when finances allow. 

10 hours ago, Swainy said:

128GB microSD

CPU Heatsink Installed

I think I found his listing. If it's the one with the red and black case, I'd probably want to replace it with something of higher quality than a 3D print. I'd rather save myself the money and have full control over what was going into my system. Assembling it all is quite fun, too.

54 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I think I found his listing. If it's the one with the red and black case, I'd probably want to replace it with something of higher quality than a 3D print. I'd rather save myself the money and have full control over what was going into my system. Assembling it all is quite fun, too.

Yeah that’s the one.

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Assembling it all is quite fun, too.

I want to build another almost for this reason alone. I took the opportunity to teach my little boy about computer parts at the same time.

So I'm trying my MiSTer out on the TV after using it exclusively on a monitor. However, I'm getting an annoying judder / flicker every second or so with the CPS cores. The console cores are all fine, it's just a problem with the arcade stuff. I've tried adjusting the vsync options in the .ini but nothing has made a difference. Can anyone help? It definitely looks like some sort of display issue, everything works perfectly on my monitor. 

@Count BuffalosPresumably you're going into a HDMI panel? What resolution have you set in the ini? For a while I was using 1440p until I saw a judder on various cores, as soon as I noticed it I couldn't unsee it so switched back to 1080p and now using those 5x options. In my case I don't think my panel likes the 1440p settings the MiSTer throws out. Maybe you're seeing a similar issue. Also, are you doing a cold reboot after setting the options in the ini?

Yeah, 4K LCD panel. 1080p output, integer scaling. I’ll try a cold reboot, I’ve just been using the reboot option in the .ini. It’s definitely more of a judder and it’s just the arcade cores.

19 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Loving the support people are providing each other in this thread :) 

That's half the fun. As is updating on a weekly basis and watching it do its thing.

Honestly, the tinkering required is minimal.

Sort of, I think it's an issue with the TV. The first time I play an arcade core it plays fine. If I then choose another arcade core to play, that's when I get the judder every second or so. If I go back to the TV home menu and select the HDMI channel again then the newly selected core will play fine. It's all a bit weird and I can't quite work it out. 

My Samsung has done that for years with any console. Super annoying. It seems to have issues syncing until I turn things off and back on again.

In that description, is the 'CAVE sprite engine' an FPGA representation of a piece of hardware that handles sprites in the arcade boards? We're always reminded that FPGA isn't like emulation because it is a hardware representation that mirrors original hardware, but if someone is rewriting an engine to allow more bandwidth is that still true?

It’s still emulation in the sense that its reproducing the original hardware, but at a logic gate level, instead of in code.

It can be effectively 1:1 “emulation”, but it can also be someone writing their interpretation of a chip that handles sprites. I’m guessing this is the case here for some custom Cave chip. 

Does anyone have ideas for feet for the MiSTer? I bought an acrylic case (as I got bored waiting for the aluminium cases to come into stock) and the bottom screws are still poking out and wrecking havoc on my ikea storage unit shelving.