MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

My SNES controller is a £5 eBay usb clone controller fitted into a super famicom controller body. Works well enough for my needs. Everything I’ve tried so far has detected it correctly. 

edit: £3.95 actually:

3509061E-14EC-425B-8F87-E5240133BFB5.jpeg.fbf65120a223ce3bcb318f3c7e67d8d0.jpeg

For SNES stuff, I use one of these:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Wireless-Controller-Classic-Electronic/dp/B074HBQ78V/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=8bitdo+snes&qid=1624469626&sr=8-2

I use it wired and it's perfect. I also have the SNES controller for Switch, which I understand can be used as a Bluetooth controller with a recent firmware update, I just haven't tried it yet.

3 hours ago, jamesy said:

Just played through Metro Zero Mission on the mister setup. Outrageously good. Would recommend the game and mister all the way. Moving back and forth between crt and lcd I couldn't tell any difference in lag. Both were as good as I could hope for. Surprisingly there was a bit of ghosting on the crt which I suspect is due to the cable. Played with an old USB saturn controller I got over 10 years ago now. 

Can anyone recommend a good controller for Super Nes. Super Metroid is on the shortlist haha. Is it worth getting the SNAC adapter? And also is there a high quality cable thats been tested with the mister that will connect to scart or bnc?

How’s the 20L2 treating you jamsey?

2 hours ago, jamesy said:

Cheers for the recommendations guys. Few things to look at there!🙂

Any old generic VGA to BNC lead is likely the cheapest and most convenient option. Likely peerless in terms of connection quality as well. Mine was €10.

22 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

How’s the 20L2 treating you jamsey?

It's goin well! Mostly been playin ps1 and ps2 stuff on it so far. For 480i stuff it's brilliant. Gonna give it a good workout with Super Metroid within the next few weeks so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

20 hours ago, Fallows said:

Here's a latency chart covering pretty much every controller out there:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KlRObr3Be4zLch7Zyqg6qCJzGuhyGmXaOIUrpfncXIM/edit?usp=drivesdk

I use the Raphnet adapter with OEM SFC pads.

This is gonna end up costing me money isn't it?😆 Tempted by a few different raphnet ones on there. All seem to have really low lag too!

I’m looking at one of the silverstone stx sized cases to hide my mister inside. Mainly to keep it safe from tiny fingers when sat under the tv. Has anyone tried one? It’s this btw: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=708&area=en

my idea is to use a single panel mount usb for the front and wire the power button up to open the mister menu. Back would be left open for power and hdmi. 

15 hours ago, jamesy said:

It's goin well! Mostly been playin ps1 and ps2 stuff on it so far. For 480i stuff it's brilliant. Gonna give it a good workout with Super Metroid within the next few weeks so it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

This is gonna end up costing me money isn't it?😆 Tempted by a few different raphnet ones on there. All seem to have really low lag too!

I was using the RetroBit wired USB Saturn controller for a while. Lightning fast, but I don't think it's going to last very long. The d-pad is creaking after just two months of use and there's a load of that dust build-up from where it's rubbing at the edges.

I'm happy with the 2-player SFC to USB RaphNet, but I've recently gone wireless with a couple of 2.4GHz 8Bitdo M30s and it's unlikely that I'll ever go back to anything else. It's like Sega themselves have made a V3 Saturn controller. I was never a big fan of the Saturn pads, but these are quite easily my favourite non-analogue controllers of all time. It doesn't even feel wrong in the slightest playing non Sega stuff with them.

They're €21 a pop from AliExpress, including delivery. I can't recommend them enough. I'm going to buy another pair soon just in case 8bitdo go bust, or stop making them.

IMG-20210511-143542.jpg

Link.

12 hours ago, Fallows said:

They're €21 a pop from AliExpress, including delivery. I can't recommend them enough. I'm going to buy another pair soon just in case 8bitdo go bust, or stop making them.

which pads are you referring to?

20 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Did 8Bitdo ever sell a USB 2.4GHz receiver by itself? There's one with this controller, but can't see anything apart from the BT version (which I own) as a standalone item.

At least with my M30 pads I believe each one is paired at the factory with their respective in-pack receiver, so I guess not.

Could be wrong.

So I've got this old CRT that I recently posted about getting Composite to work on it. Cool, I was happy with that... but I've recently discovered that the TV can do RGB as well, by connecting a PS2 to it. The RGB picture looks lovely, and I'm suddenly unsatisfied with my Composite solution.

However, I cannot get RGB to work no matter what I do. Here's what I've tried:

1) I bought the Spectrum Next VGA>RGB cable linked up thread, as this is known to work.

2) I have a minimal .ini file:

[MiSTer]
composite_sync=1       ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0           ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.

3) I've verified this set up works with an LCD TV. Picture displays via this cable.

4) But when I connect to the CRT, I just get a blank image. It does seem to react to changes in the MiSTer, flickers when a core is started, that kind of thing, but nothing else.

5) I've tried taking the output from the HDMI port using direct_video=1 and a known good HDMI>VGA converter. Same result.

6) I've tried setting the SOG switch to both off and on. Same result.

7) I currently have my IO board jumper set to 5V for VGA.

Has anyone been through this and come up with a solution? Or is my TV just somehow incompatible with the MiSTer RGB output?

@Dr_Dave

Settings look good. Perhaps your TV is struggling with composite sync levels or something? Or how about cycling through inputs on the TV? Perhaps the 5V line isn't connected so the TV won't put itself into RGB mode. 

Or... does RGB SCART definitely look better with the PS2? The TV might just be showing composite?

@Tomdominer

Oh sweet! I'll see if I can get one. I was gonna buy an M30, but this is better!

15 hours ago, Fallows said:

I was using the RetroBit wired USB Saturn controller for a while. Lightning fast, but I don't think it's going to last very long. The d-pad is creaking after just two months of use and there's a load of that dust build-up from where it's rubbing at the edges.

I'm happy with the 2-player SFC to USB RaphNet, but I've recently gone wireless with a couple of 2.4GHz 8Bitdo M30s and it's unlikely that I'll ever go back to anything else. It's like Sega themselves have made a V3 Saturn controller. I was never a big fan of the Saturn pads, but these are quite easily my favourite non-analogue controllers of all time. It doesn't even feel wrong in the slightest playing non Sega stuff with them.

IMG-20210511-143542.jpg

Link.

I bought two of these directly from Amazon US and the right direction on the d-pad was a bit duff compared to the rest of them. No such issue on the M30s I have with the Mega Drive receiver. I suppose 8BitDo has inconsistent quality control.

Also, have you had any issues with getting the pads to connect after initial startup? I always have to remove the receiver and plug it back in again.

1 hour ago, Dr_Dave said:

Has anyone been through this and come up with a solution? Or is my TV just somehow incompatible with the MiSTer RGB output?

I/O board?

Have you also plugged into the 3.5mm jack?

1 minute ago, Spoonman said:

I/O board?

Have you also plugged into the 3.5mm jack?

It is the IO board (and also the same issue via the HDMI port). The jack just carries audio, and it's picture I'm lacking (though I have plugged into that as well).

I know you're lacking picture, but I had issues until I plugged in a 3.5mm jack next to the VGA... *shrugs*

How are the jumper pins set up on the IO board?

What res is the TV/core?

11 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

I know you're lacking picture, but I had issues until I plugged in a 3.5mm jack next to the VGA... *shrugs*

How are the jumper pins set up on the IO board?

What res is the TV/core?

What issues did you have before plugging in the 3.5mm jack? If I plug that in, all that happens is that I get sound through the CRT.

Jumper pins on the IO board are set to 5V for the VGA output. TV is just standard CRT res (480 lines or whatever) and the core I've mostly tried in the MD core. Like I say, all of it works fine if I take the VGA output and feed it through my composite converter. The CRT likes that. Also, the VGA output works on an LCD TV. 

I suspect it's just some aspect of the CRT doesn't like the RGB output and I'll never get to the bottom of it. But it feels very close :)

2 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Or... does RGB SCART definitely look better with the PS2? The TV might just be showing composite?

This might the reason, possibly. I'd assumed that I was looking at RGB because it looked crisp and I'd selected "RGB" from the PS2 config menu. When I selected "Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr" it showed the same picture but green tinged. I don't know enough about PS2s to say whether it spits composite out of its AV port as well...

However, I just hooked up my Spectrum Next with the cable I was using with the MiSTer, set it into RGB mode and got a blank picture.

So either there's something I'm missing, or the CRT doesn't do RGB like the manual claims it does and I need to get combing the streets for abandoned and immaculate Trinitrons! ;)

14 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

What issues did you have before plugging in the 3.5mm jack? If I plug that in, all that happens is that I get sound through the CRT.

Jumper pins on the IO board are set to 5V for the VGA output. TV is just standard CRT res (480 lines or whatever) and the core I've mostly tried in the MD core. Like I say, all of it works fine if I take the VGA output and feed it through my composite converter. The CRT likes that. Also, the VGA output works on an LCD TV. 

I suspect it's just some aspect of the CRT doesn't like the RGB output and I'll never get to the bottom of it. But it feels very close :)

Why is it on the 5V? I had mine on the 3.3 volt I believe. That's what it should be IIRC.

As for the issues; I didn't have signal, just white noise. I plugged in the 3.5 jack and it worked. Took me a while to get everything working for my MiSTer on CRT.

These are my settings:

image.png.13db89e048ee652253c923807c728587.png