MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

Set mine up last night and was pleased with how easy it was to get up and running. If you have the addons the physical build is a bit more involved that a retropi but was still a piece of piss. I've dabbled in emulation forever but have come to hate how bloated retroarch is so it was great to see so few options (presumably because they simply aren't required). I can't say the menus are particularly intuitive, and i'm not entirely sure i'm actually saving or changing things in the exact right way, but everything has worked so far, and that applies to all emulation software generally.

The console emulation feels amazing, much more responsive (and this is on an IPS screen with a usb 360 pad, so not targeting ultra low latency). I played a bit of dodonpachi and that felt very similar to my Windows based arcade machine (not to say it isn't lower latency, it just felt the same to play).

Regardless of that though, the games look beautiful, just insanely good, especially on integer scaling, which I need to make sure is setup correctly. 

Really interested to see how it develops, and part of the reason for getting this was based on the progress in PS1 & Saturn cores. I love it already and would happily recommend it to someone who would get the value out of it.

I was tempted to wait for that but I don't think it looks any better than the cases already available, albeit it should be a slightly easier build. Going to try and design a case once I get the 3D printer back up and running, fancy something a bit N64-esque.

I'd say it's more the guts of the thing than the case that's the focus there. It brings in all the additional board features, including a SNAC adapter, for what he says is cheaper than buying it all separately (I do believe him, I just haven't checked). I'm probably set with what I have right now, but it is a really cool project.

I saw the RMC video a week or so ago (whenever it was released), not sure how I feel about this to be honest. I can see a few positives here, this will be (to my knowledge) the first place to selling a pre-built MiSTer setup in the UK & outside of Ebay. That is the major plus point that I'm sure will attract more people to the MiSTer. It seems to have all the ports and connectivity that those of us who have a "Complete MiSTer Setup" have grown accustomed to, plus a few other features ..... the CEC toggle switch would be handy for me if I wasn't already using a CEC less adapter on my hdmi lead. What would have been a nice addition would be a sata slot for a hdd that could easily be swapped with easy access through the case rather than having a loose hdd hanging off to the side via a usb cable.

The case ..... I think this is the disappointing aspect of this, and I'm aware it's an optional extra at this stage. After all the work that has gone into the PCB it just seems strange to me that RMC is opting for a 3d printed case, especially if they're hoping to sell a decent volume of these. At the very least, I would have liked to see something injection moulded (I know injection moulding costs a lot, wishful thinking in my part). With Porkchop in the USA setting the standard as far as MiSTer cases are concerned I feel this is the one area where RMC & Heber need to raise the bar. When we currently have the PCB case & the laser-cut acrylic case (also originally Porkchop's design that he open-sourced and now used by a few sellers) I personally feel the 3d printed case at this stage of the MiSTer's life is a bit of a step backwards. Could the folks behind that Checkmate Amiga case get involved at this point to produce something more aesthetically pleasing?

Another area of potential concern is will this be adopted into the official "MiSTer Project" or will it sit on the outside of the project like Antonio Villena's boards? The "Blister Board" also comes to mind here. I guess that time will tell. I already know that this board won't be for me, nor will it be for the vast majority of existing users here who already have a (near) complete MiSter setup. But for people looking to get a MiSTer now this could be a decent alternative. Having seen the same questions pop up time & time again on where to obtain things I can certianly see RMC's motives for getting involved and providing his own solution.

I really want to the see the follow-up video with a deep dive on the final board design.

I understand that the RMC board isn’t very tempting for those who already have a full set up.  For me though who is just starting out it makes a lot of sense.  Plus I like the consolized form factor over the rectangular stack.  I’m undecided on the 3D printed case at the moment and the price will determine if I get one or wait to see what happens further down the line.

I already two Analogue systems (Mega SG and Super NT), so naturally an FPGA solution for almost everything else, like MiSTer has always been a bit intriguing, but this RMC setup is probably the point where I'll jump in. I think it looks fantastic for a complete outsider to the project like me. Yeah, the case is maybe a bit disappointing (especially coming off of Analogue's products where the cases are so nice), but it just looks too tempting a proposition overall.

I'd say two things factor in with the RMC thingy:

- It's been designed as a PCB, by a PCB company. It's not hugely surprising the case might not get quite the same level of attention

- It's been designed with keeping costs as low as possible in mind, which just doesn't work alongside hiring a designer/prototyping cases/injection molding etc

It does look like a great entry point for someone getting into MiSTer; I'd definitely be keen if I didn't already have my cheap-ass 3D printed piece of garbage already.

18 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

I only have the DE10 so far but couldn’t resist these at 45% off from AliExpress.

91481E73-0664-467C-935C-20EFE365F63B.jpeg

My favourites. I'll be buying more for backup purposes at some point.

You don't need anything else. Well, other than joysticks if you want to go that far.

On 27/08/2021 at 14:38, ianinthefuture said:

I'd say it's more the guts of the thing than the case that's the focus there. It brings in all the additional board features, including a SNAC adapter, for what he says is cheaper than buying it all separately (I do believe him, I just haven't checked). I'm probably set with what I have right now, but it is a really cool project.

Yeah the key for me is it's like buying a Pi but for Mister.

I've got  couple of those Megadrive pads for the MegaSg

The 2.4g dongle fits the megadrive (d9) and it comes with a USB lead for charging, so would assume for the Mister you will be using them wired.

Might be better to get the bluetooth pads with a dongle for the MiSTer.

I couls be wrong though.

6 hours ago, AceGrace said:

I've got  couple of those Megadrive pads for the MegaSg

The 2.4g dongle fits the megadrive (d9) and it comes with a USB lead for charging, so would assume for the Mister you will be using them wired.

Might be better to get the bluetooth pads with a dongle for the MiSTer.

I couls be wrong though.

I'd personally use a Daemonbite adapter for the DB9 dongles, which is one of the things I'll be buying next.

Early Sega systems are getting a lot of love at the moment thanks to the work done by BlackWine. Released by Greyrogue is the "Sega System E" core, the work done appears to have been built into the existing Master System Core. This is a public beta so you will have to install the various components manually.

Games working are Fantasy Zone II, Hang On Jnr, Opa Opa, Riddle Of Pythagoras, Slap Shooter, Tetris, Transformer.

This beta won't be for everybody, but everything seems to work fine. The highlight for me has to be Transformer, I don't recall seeing this on the Master System.

Grab the RBF file from here and then get the various MRA files from here. Click on each mra file, then right-click "RAW" and "save link as". If you haven't got one already, create a folder within your main _arcade folder called "Beta" and stick the mra files in there. The RBF file goes into your "cores" folder. After that, just run the update_all script to sync everything up!

On 05/09/2021 at 14:03, Camel said:

Bluetooth pads are supposedly terrible so don’t do that. 

USB dongle sounds like the way to go.

That's fair enough. I was just concerned that they were being bought expecting them to be bluetooth.