IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

8 hours ago, Fallows said:

GBA F-Zero (Maximum Velocity. The first one, although I play the JP version) is burning the flickering mini maps into both of the video lines, this then persists across cores, even after a cold reboot. It takes several core boots and restarts to get rid of it.

Can someone else give it a whirl please to see if it's just me?

Those GBA F-Zero games' mini maps do indeed display with a high flicker effect. It's not just you.

They're probably the reason why Nintendo applied a blur filter (in addition to a darkness filter) across the handful of GBA games they released to early 3DS adopters - as with the blur removed the maps display behaviour results in temporary (but very apparant) burn in on on the LCD panels.

31 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

They're probably the reason why Nintendo applied a blur filter (in addition to a darkness filter) across the handful of GBA games they released to early 3DS adopters - as with the blur removed the maps display behaviour results in temporary (but very apparant) burn in on on the LCD panels.

Fuck. You're right. So much for being a nice gaming monitor!

IMG-0471.jpg

I'd upload a higher quality photo, but I've not worked out how to convert from .HEIC yet. You can just about make out the burn in there. Shit... No more playing GBA F-Zero on this screen, then. That's a real shame because it looked really sweet with the LCD filters. It's a good job I still have my GBA with IPS screen and even my original JP launch boxed cart, so I can't complain at all.

At least it's nothing wrong with the MiSTer! That's the main thing. I could have sworn this affected the PVM as well. I must have been stoned, or something.

3 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Those GBA F-Zero games' mini maps do indeed display with a high flicker effect. It's not just you.

Does this happen on the GBA Player as well, then?

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Does this happen on the GBA Player as well, then?

I don't have mine hooked up to check - but if I did it'd be going into a CRT rather than an LCD (which I imagine would handle the ultra-high flicker differently to an LCD) and I'd also be using the stock boot disk (which adds its own image processing / blur).

I guess if I ran a GBA F-Zero game on my GBP via homebrew GBI software (outputting sharp bright video) to a regular LCD some temporary burn-in would show up.

All I know is that the unique flickering in those GBA game's map graphics does a number on 3DS panels (both TN and IPS types), and that 'F-Zero burn-in' (so to speak) was only noticed once the community had removed the image filters Nintendo had baked into their 3DS GBA game wrapper.

That's very interesting. I wonder if this poses an issue with those Anbernic devices? I guess so. Although, my AGS-101 screen handles the flickering just fine with no burn, and I play this game A LOT. Easily my most played racer besides Ridge Racers.

6 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

I guess if I ran a GBA F-Zero game on my GBP via homebrew GBI software (outputting sharp bright video) to a regular LCD some temporary burn-in would show up.

Good to know. I run mine via GBI through a GC component cable, so it's a 480p image. It's going to a RetroTINK 5x with an overlay on though, so maybe that'd counteract it.

Yeah, you can get similar with the MiSTer filters. Not as uprez’d as that sample, but good enough on a 1440p monitor.

I’m wondering how hard it’d be to mod out the flickering for F-Zero’s mini maps. Playing it on the big screen is too good to let go of.

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

Yeah, you can get similar with the MiSTer filters. Not as uprez’d as that sample, but good enough on a 1440p monitor.

I've tried running my MiSTer to the 5x via component to get those lovely filters but it quickly became clear that I'll have to do some further tweaking to get a satisfactory image. Wondering if it's worth bothering with when the new filters are coming to MiSTer cores directly.

13 hours ago, Fallows said:

That's very interesting. I wonder if this poses an issue with those Anbernic devices? I guess so.

Read an interesting article on the flickering effect here. The mention of the GBA Consolizer not handling this correctly made me wonder if systems like the Analogue Pocket and all of those GBAs with aftermarket FunnyPlaying screens will. Seems like an easy case to overlook.

8 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Read an interesting article on the flickering effect here. The mention of the GBA Consolizer not handling this correctly made me wonder if systems like the Analogue Pocket and all of those GBAs with aftermarket FunnyPlaying screens will. Seems like an easy case to overlook.

It certainly used to affect GB / GBA screens, it's mentioned in this My Life In Gaming episode at 14 minutes in:

Been looking at cases for the Mister and can't find anything I really like and isn't going to cost the earth. Found some nice ITX cases, but either too expensive or too big. I wasn't going to go for a vintage look but I think i've fallen for this beauty (£57 from Farnell) -

1456kh3whcww.thumb.jpg.b667e44561ab803a75aec3fa079d699d.jpg

Just look at that beige. Real walnut too! I need to check it's big enough for the few extra bits I want to add but there are longer/taller variants.

Here's a new video from SRG320 showing more of the Saturn core on MiSTer. Amazing stuff, but I feel still a long way from being ready any time soon. Strangely, considering this was posted about 12 hours ago this video seems to have flown under the radar of the MiSTer community at large. I've not seen anyone mention this yet.

F-Zero fGBA/MV map removed over coffee.

Download here.

The location marker dot was a right little bastard to find. After that I was half-tempted to reinstate the Japanese craft names into Maximum Velocity, but I have work to do instead. :(

I also realised that the flickering effect is also used on the craft exhaust flames, so this isn't totally flat-panel safe. I guess fixing the flicker properly is going to take some HEX/maths/coding skills. I'll try that another day.

After all that I found a flickerblend option in the video menu.

IMG-0504.jpg

Unfortunately this blends everything, so you end up with an off-putting, yet genuine vintage LCD ghosting effect. It kind of works alright with F-Zero, but looks shocking with the other games I tried. Case-by-case basis, this one.

Some kind soul has been good enough to add these shadow mask filters to a few more cores, plus Jotego's "old tv" effect as well. These cores are Neo Geo, Mega Drive, NES & C64. These can be downloaded from this github repository here (shamelessly pinched from discord!). So that these don't get deleted / overwritten by the updaters I'd recommend putting them into a "_Test" folder in the root of your SD card.

I also discovered something that one or two of you might find useful. These are not new and you may already be aware of them, a few cores have been coded to work in 3D on 3D displays. I think those Master System 3D games will see the most mileage out of this. As well as Master System, there are also Mega Drive & NES 3D cores as well. Again, put these into a test folder. These 3D cores are courtesy of Grabulosaure, the creater of the MiSTer scaler. I don't know how good these are as I don't have a 3D TV (and I struggle with 3D anyway so I won't be using them!)

I'm getting quite excited for the Playstation core. Robert Peip released a test build for Patreons yesterday that apparently works great - no sound, currently, and requires a second RAM module for CD loading, but gameplay is mostly there (with bugs).

He reckons 75% chance that he'll be able to get it in a single RAM module - the only thing that might require a second is the sound, since CD loading will be offloaded to the MiSTer on board RAM. He also reckons we'll know by the end of the year!