MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

6 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Is the Mister worth picking up if you want to play light gun games? Thinking of when the Sinden light gun finally arrives but not sure if its powerful enough to run games like Virtua Cop onwards?

Quite a lot of work has recently gone into the Megadrive core to add light gun support, and I'm sure it went into the SNES, NES & Master System, and even the Mega CD core! The recent Megadrive /  Mega CD lightgun support was added by Shane Lynch.

I have to confess that I'm not a light gun user. I vaguely remember setting up a Wii remote to test the NES core with Duck Hunt while using a modern display panel, that's the extent of my "light gun" usage on the MiSTer. I believe any offical light gun from the 8 & 16 bit eras will work using the SNAC boards ..... but I'm going to need someone with more expertise or experience with the MiSTer & lightguns to step in at this point to confirm exactly what is needed in terms of accessories as I'm a little out of my depth on the subject of light gun compatibilty with the MiSTer. One thing that I will say is that at present you will need a CRT to use any current compatible light guns or games. I know the Sinden gun has been talked about among some of the MiSTer community so I'm sure the current cores will be adapted to be compatible with this gun once it's released.

I'm afraid that you will be disappointed in the MiSTer if you're hoping to play Virtua Cop or any light gun games of that period and newer. Although there is a PS1 core in development I still remain on the fence as to whether or not it will ever be playable on the MiSTer despite the noises I hear from a few corners. I feel that rules out any PS1 light gun games. Saturn /  N64 or anything newer is never going to happen on MiSTer, and forget any Sega Model One / Namco Super System 22 or similar arcade boards. You'll be limited to the light gun games that the 8 & 16 bit consoles had to offer. It's possible someone might create arcade cores for games like Operation Wolf, basically 80's or very early 90's light gun arcade games, but I doubt that light gun arcade games are high on any developer's list right now.

If you're looking at the MiSTer purely from the perspective of light gun games the MiSTer is a hard sell and I couldn't recommend it for gun games alone. However, if you play a lot of 8 & 16 bit console & computer games anyway there really is no better option than the MiSTer.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a heads up for everyone who uses the either of the two scripts to sort of your "_Arcade" folder. It appears that the two authors "Retrodriven" & "Amoore2600" (of the Retrodriven script & Mame_Getter script, I prefer the Retrodriven script if I'm honest!) will be changing the scripts ever so slightly so that the Mame & HBMame files are now downloaded to the Games folder instead of the _Arcade folder. This change should happen within the next 24 hours. Links to tweets from the two scripts authors below.

In theory, this should be as simple as just moving your "Mame" & "HBMame" folders from the _Arcade folder to the Games folder. Most people might want to hang on for a couple of days for the updates to the script to take place and not run the mame scripts just yet. This should go a long way to clearing up the confusion around the arcade stuff that has been around since the end of last year in that the official MiSTer script creates these Mame folders in Games & is where the MiSTer framework looks for the mame files first of all. I don't forsee any issues but if anyone gets stuck let me know!

========================================================================

EDIT - NEW SCRIPTS LOOK LIKE THEY'RE LIVE

Two bits of news today. Firstly, the Tecmo core has been updated by nullobject so that Silkworm & Gemini Wing are now available to the public. Two more shmups I'm looking forward to playing with later on. Get the core & MRA files through the official updater (see more below). Even more exciting is the fact he's now taking on some Cave stuff.

Secondly, Retrodriven has released his own "update suite" to run all the updater scripts in one go. Makes things super easy, and going forward should eliminate any further problems with where files are placed.

Oh, Samurai Shodown V Perfect is now playable on MiSTer. And Jotego has confirmed that he'll start working on CPS2 in July.

10 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Thanks Shiffy, I'll go get that download suite script. It looks very useful.

You're welcome. A short video of the updater in action, running the script remotely via Putty & ssh on my PC. As it stands there are still tweaks being done to it and the Capcom CPS1 structure may yet still change (potentially going into the Jotego folder) but that hasn't happened yet as of the time of posting.

On 06/12/2019 at 13:06, Dr_Dave said:

Does anyone have any tips for optimising Minimig on the MiSTer? I find that I have very variable levels of success with it, specifically:

- Some games freeze when run from WHDLoad (I think I've figured this out to be an NTSC/PAL issue, but I'd love to know how to tell whether I should run a game in NTSC or PAL)

@Dr_Dave I came across a list this morning from an American MiSTer user. This user, Owlnonymous, has created a list of Amiga games that have an NTSC mode. This list is relating to the "Mega AGS" setup. I remembered your post from earlier laste last year and thought everybody might benefit from this list of NTSC compatible Amiga games.

https://pastebin.com/23Hd0ACJ

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Super Aleste is one of my favourite SNES games and shooters. It's got some of the best music too.

I've just been trying Blazing Star on the MVS core. Pretty damn good!

The cab is in great nick. Lots of things to tweak and tidy, but no major surgery required,

I'm having a problem. I am using Retrodrivens latest script. I have noticed that one of the CPS1 games (Ghosts and Goblins) is being displayed upside down on my monitor. I can't find a setting to flip or rotate it. Is it in an ini file somewhere?

Also, loading Bionic Commando results in a black screen. Does it take a while to start up?

On 29/06/2020 at 22:19, spanky debrest said:

^^^ Super Aleste man. This game always makes me want to set the SNES up again before I remember that my console's a stock 50hz PAL unit and deserves to continue living alone in a dark box.

That cab looks great, ready for CPS-1 & impending CPS-2 action.

Super Aleste is great even on pal 

2 hours ago, AceGrace said:

I'm having a problem. I am using Retrodrivens latest script. I have noticed that one of the CPS1 games (Ghosts and Goblins) is being displayed upside down on my monitor. I can't find a setting to flip or rotate it. Is it in an ini file somewhere?

Also, loading Bionic Commando results in a black screen. Does it take a while to start up?

The upside down Ghosts n' Goblins is definitely a dip switch setting. Just open the menu within the game, change the setting & then save the settings afterwards.

I've just tried Bionic Commando, all seems fine ...... with the exception of my TV crashing and restarting upon loading this arcade core. Is it a coincidence? I don't know, but it worked fine on the second attempt. It might be a refresh issue. If you're still having issues you could try creating a new entry at the bottom of your "mister.ini" file that looks like this.

[bionicc]
vsync_adjust=1

Edited by shiffy
spelling mistake in code

30 minutes ago, ulala said:

Super Aleste is great even on pal 

Yeah, it's perfectly playable. I used to enjoy it a lot (my cart is PAL region too) but until I fit a 50/60hz switch or acquire an NTSC console I'd rather not go there. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

The CPS1 Core is great! I was thinking about buying Ghouls N Ghosts (albeit a conversion) PCB, but not sure it's worth it at this rate.

Real CPS-1 hardware is notoriously fragile from what I've gathered, usually a hell of a money / time sink to get functioning properly.

Seeing Bubble Bobble up and running gives me hope for one of my holy grail arcade cabs getting the MiSTer treatment: New Zealand Story. I think I'd shriek in joy if this was announced.

@spanky debrest Yeah, I've been looking into getting some CPS1 during my arcade cabinet research and it's not cheap, or bootlegs or unknown quality. I might have to give up on that!! 

Someone is selling New Zealand Story PCB on Arcade Otaku for £600 though!!

Speaking of Super Aleste, I'm gonna play my lovely Japanese copy NOW! :D 

15 hours ago, shiffy said:

The upside down Ghosts n' Goblins is definitely a dip switch setting. Just open the menu within the game, change the setting & then save the settings afterwards.

I've just tried Bionic Commando, all seems fine ...... with the exception of my TV crashing and restarting upon loading this arcade core. Is it a coincidence? I don't know, but it worked fine on the second attempt. It might be a refresh issue. If you're still having issues you could try creating a new entry at the bottom of your "mister.ini" file that looks like this.

[bionicc]
vsync_adjust=1

Thanks guys. I didn't think of the dip switch settings.

I'll try the refresh setting. All the others appear to load correctly.

An interesting little snippet of information relating to the new "Mega Everdrive" Pro flashcart & the recent "MD+" soundtracks has surfaced today and how it relates to MiSTer. Someone has worked out that the soundtracks for MD+ Megadrive hacks (that are exclusively for use on the MegaSD flashcard) that have been patched to work on the new Mega Everdrive Pro also work on the MiSTer Mega CD core. Grab the  latest firmware for the Everdrive Pro, and retrieve the folder named "ips-msu", you can delete the rest. There's a readme file in there telling you which games are currently working. Patch your games with the IPS files you've obtained and rename them to "cart.rom". Grab the MD+ soundtracks from Zeldix, create a folder for each soundtrack and put your "cart.rom" inside the folder. Then put these folders in with the rest of your Mega CD games. And voila, CD soundtracks to Golden Axe, Moonwalker, Outrun, Strider (somewhat redundant due to the CPS1 core) Streets Of Rage 2, Y's III and Pier Solar.
Hope that someone can get some mileage out of this!

I wonder how much demand there really is for the replacement of game audio..but then again SNES MSU-1 hacks didn't start to take off until it was incorporated into the SD2SNES flashcart, so it'll be interesting to see what comes of this.

Also it wasn't that someone worked out that Krikzz's new CD audio driver was MiSTer compatible - it was designed to work on real hardware and this seems to prove it (it was Krikzz's response to those pushing him to support MD+ on the new Mega Everdrive - which he didn't want to do).

I use alternative audio occassionally with the SD2SNES. Some of the altered audio from the Snes tends not to fit that well with the games I feel. Maybe it was one of those things that people got all excited for at the start, but fizzled out a while afterwards. I tend to feel the same will happen here. It is a nice feature though, Outrun & Strider with original arcade tunes!

As the Everdrive MegaCD core is based on work by Srg320 who created the MiSTer Mega CD core I too am not surprised it works. In fact, an earlier tweet from Igor Golubovskiy seems pretty happy it works on MiSTer and even seemed to be actively promoting it! I found the tweets after I spent a few hours this morning playing around getting it to work. With Terraonion's MegaSD the MD+ seems to be using a proprietary format to make real audio work, while the Everdrive uses "mode 1" which is a function of the real hardware. I'm happy that other users who don't own a MiSTer and prefer real hardware & flashcarts will be able to benefit from the MiSTer, even if it's indirectly like this.

REFRAIN FROM USING MEGADRIVE MD+ / MSU AUDIO HACKS ON MiSTer FOR THE TIME BEING ...

A quick heads up about these new MD+ audio hacks on and MiSTer usage. There are a few reports from people who are using these hacks, Golden Axe in particular, that they are corrupting the Linux file system on the SD card. Golden Axe seems to crash a lot at level 3 & I have experienced that myself, but no corruption for me. People have mentioned Streets of Rage 2 as well, but Golden Axe seems to be the main culprit. Because of this I would suggest people stop using them until the matter has been looked into further.

As there haven't been any main updates for a while it would be a good opportunity to make a backup of your SD card at this time so you have a working backup in case anything goes wrong.

I haven't heard of any issues using these audio hacks with the Everdrive Pro cart so I would assume they're safe to continue using on that device.

I don't yet own a MiSTer but as a retro enthusiast it's impossible not to feel its impact - but I'm pretty sure Krikzz wrote the entire Mega CD core from scratch using his own tools and official documentation. Took him the best part of a year to do so; if he says it's all his work I believe him. The part which he licenced from srg320 was the Virtua Racing core (which Terraonion also did for their flashcart).

He also said the cue file (specifically the line referencing Track 10) from the Golden Axe alternate orchestrated music pack was bugged - that Track 11 needed to be renamed to Track 10 and so on. That might help with that particular pack (and of interest to me as I plan on running this on my real Mega CD). There could be an issue with how MiSTer's MD/M-CD core deals with Mode 1 - which is entirely understandable as there have only been a tiny amount of games which have ever used this function. And likely an easy fix.

49 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I don't yet own a MiSTer but as a retro enthusiast it's impossible not to feel its impact - but I'm pretty sure Krikzz wrote the entire Mega CD core from scratch using his own tools and official documentation. Took him the best part of a year to do so; if he says it's all his work I believe him. The part which he licenced from srg320 was the Virtua Racing core (which Terraonion also did for their flashcart).

If I'm wrong I hold my hand up and apologize profusely. I thought I'd read some time ago that srg320 had had a hand in the Mega CD development on the Everdrive as well. I don't follow Krikzz anywhere near as closely as I do the world of MiSTer. My memory ain't what it used to be & I do get things wrong from time to time!

I have the fixed Golden Axe files so I'll be testing that tomorrow. It's my hope that anything that benefits the MiSTer world will trickle down to other aspects of retro gaming so that others in the community benefit also. I really do feel that the MiSTer is one of the most exciting things to happen in the retro world in a very long time and it's a project that I've become very passionate about and as such like sharing info about it in the hope other find it useful.