MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

Just now, Vimster said:

Cheers, all, started picking some bits up. Went for the digital I/O as I'm much more likely to be using HDMI going forward. 

Probably a good choice. You can always use the HDMI to send VGA output with a cheap adaptor and direct_video. Plus, it leaves the posibility of a second RAM board open, if any future cores need it.

On 09/11/2021 at 22:29, Fallows said:

After all that I found a flickerblend option in the video menu.

IMG-0504.jpg

Unfortunately this blends everything, so you end up with an off-putting, yet genuine vintage LCD ghosting effect. It kind of works alright with F-Zero, but looks shocking with the other games I tried. Case-by-case basis, this one.

Just to be clear, is the flickerblend option safe to use on an LED TV? I don’t want to risk any burn in!

@Protocol Penguin Did your DE10 not come with a tiny little heat sink to stick on the chip? I think mine did, I've got one anyway, and along with the fan from the I/O board that seems to be fine.

This is the one I have. Maybe I bought it from Mister FPGA, I can't remember.

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-heatsink-de10-nano-cooling/

2 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

@Protocol Penguin Did your DE10 not come with a tiny little heat sink to stick on the chip? I think mine did, I've got one anyway, and along with the fan from the I/O board that seems to be fine.

This is the one I have. Maybe I bought it from Mister FPGA, I can't remember.

https://misterfpga.co.uk/product/mister-heatsink-de10-nano-cooling/

Haven’t received my DEC-10 board yet. :) It’s currently backordered; ETA is late January to early February. If the supplied heatsink and I/O board’s fan will be enough, I’ll roll with that. And the heatsink you link to is pennies anyway, if I need that as well. Thanks.

So the DE10 (or at least mine) didn’t come with a heatsink. To be fair it isn’t strictly needed but most people pop one on. Just get a self adhesive low profile heatsink about 1” square. 

i have the heatsink and fan combo from misterfpga.co.uk which I power from the arduino header. 

On 26/12/2021 at 13:23, Protocol Penguin said:

Haven’t received my DEC-10 board yet. :) It’s currently backordered; ETA is late January to early February. If the supplied heatsink and I/O board’s fan will be enough, I’ll roll with that. And the heatsink you link to is pennies anyway, if I need that as well. Thanks.

My DE-10 didn't come with a heatsink. I went with the copper one from misterfpga.co.uk because it's only a tenner for complete peace of mind.

On 25/12/2021 at 12:15, Count Buffalos said:

Just to be clear, is the flickerblend option safe to use on an LED TV? I don’t want to risk any burn in!

Yeah, perfectly safe. That's what flickerblend is for. It's not really burn in, by the way, so it's not permanent damage. Just short-term image retention.

F-Zero's maps are causing the same retention issues on the Analogue Pocket, it seems.

18 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

SD card for a Mister – what size? 64GB, 128GB?

Is there a way that I can use the controllers from my Super NES Mini with a Mister?

Decided to order an USB hub in the meantime.

128gb at least. Don’t think that there is a way to use the Nintendo mini controllers.

54 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

SD card for a Mister – what size? 64GB, 128GB?

Is there a way that I can use the controllers from my Super NES Mini with a Mister?

Decided to order an USB hub in the meantime.

256 is a nice size, will get you most things.

512 if you like cd disc games

On 07/12/2021 at 00:55, Ninja Doctor said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B073HPD5TC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

emio pad and dongle. The pad is dog shit but the dongle is bob on however only does snes buttons on a classic controller. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELECOM-converter-Classic-controller-JC-W01UWH/dp/B009PDK6EI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=31EHVS6FI17

elecom adapter. Bit pricey but does analogue sticks on classic controllers. Has a longer cable length. 

@protocolpenguin 

Just out of curiosity, for the 8/16 bit consoles how superior do people find the actual gameplay experience of a mister vs software emulation like a raspberry pi? 

I have 2 misters, some pi 3s that I run on a CRT and all the original hardware so this is the type of thing I like to ponder..

I think the experience on the mister/original hardware is better than emulation by some tiny amount, but there isn't really much between them, is there? The whole discussion of FPGAs kind of comes with an insinuation that all software emulation is noticeably laggy or something, but it isn't really, is it? Been noticing it again recently with the "release" of the analogue pocket and discussions around that.

Just curious what others who've compared the two experiences think.

Mister blows away software solutions in terms of ease of use, instant boot time and just feeling more like a console. Is this what most people think or do others find a noticeable difference between mister and pi gameplay.

FPGA Saturn will be a game changer though. FPGA Saturn vs software emulators will be a bigger deal than FPGA SNES vs bsnes or whatever.

Most of the lag in emulation is either on the controller (or display side if you’re using an LCD). Emulation is great!

A lot is said about cycle accuracy, and that IS hard in software where you’re basically running X cycles in a loop and trying to sync different chips that happily all run in parallel on real hardware. 

I do notice a little on some games I’ve played to death, but it’s not the software that’s to blame!

9 minutes ago, Swainy said:

I run my MiSTer on CRT’s and two weeks after I got mine I put the majority of my hardware away. 

Are you mainly into home computers? (I have that impression from reading your posts over the years). I can definitely notice that playing C64 or Amiga on mister just feels better than playing on an emulator and is less hassle, but for Japanese 8/16 bit consoles it's less obvious to me.

2 minutes ago, partious said:

Are you mainly into home computers? (I have that impression from reading your posts over the years). I can definitely notice that playing C64 or Amiga on mister just feels better than playing on an emulator and is less hassle, but for Japanese 8/16 bit consoles it's less obvious to me.

Yeah, although I do play console stuff I think it’s fair to say that I’m more into the computer scene.

59 minutes ago, partious said:

I think the experience on the mister/original hardware is better than emulation by some tiny amount, but there isn't really much between them, is there? The whole discussion of FPGAs kind of comes with an insinuation that all software emulation is noticeably laggy or something, but it isn't really, is it? Been noticing it again recently with the "release" of the analogue pocket and discussions around that.

I feel as though I can tell the difference, but I suspect that is just a placebo. 

For me  the real difference is in the underlying system. I've had a retropie for many years, but I never truly felt as if I had a grasp of the retroarch settings, or other emulator configurations. It always felt as if there was a layer in between me and the games or that some well-meaning nephew was going to come along and break it all.

MiSTer is a lot simpler, far fewer options, all unified in one simple interface. I can get straight into playing a game and not worry about the interface skin or screenshots or countless other tinkerable things in Retropie.

2 hours ago, partious said:

Just out of curiosity, for the 8/16 bit consoles how superior do people find the actual gameplay experience of a mister vs software emulation like a raspberry pi? 

I have 2 misters, some pi 3s that I run on a CRT and all the original hardware so this is the type of thing I like to ponder..

Mister blows away software solutions in terms of ease of use, instant boot time and just feeling more like a console. Is this what most people think or do others find a noticeable difference between mister and pi gameplay.

FPGA Saturn will be a game changer though. FPGA Saturn vs software emulators will be a bigger deal than FPGA SNES vs bsnes or whatever.

I was using Retroarch on a Pi and also on a beefy MacBook Pro and the difference is staggering. Not only variable input latency, but massive audio latency too. 

It pushed me to say “fuck it” and move to real hardware and Everdrives and a PVM, and the whole thing is just far more responsive and works as actually as intended. 
I find with the Mister, it’s basically the same as real hardware. 

2 hours ago, partious said:

bsnes is an exceptional emulator. Near was incredible, and that emulator is fanatically accurate. Near went to the point of decapping chips to make it accurate, their work was unbelievable. You won't notice differences outside of possibly lag between bsnes and MiSTer. Most emulators are nowhere near as accurate as that, however.

You probably won't notice the difference between MiSTer and your average emulator on popular games, they tend to be hacked to make them work properly. You'll see it more with less popular games or weird effects where the lack of accuracy will betray itself. The lag also may not be obvious on all games. Stuff like Punch-Out!! are where lag can make things impossible.

Does anyone have any experience in setting up a USB SSD drive with the MiSTer?

Ideally I want everything on the SSD (cores, bios, roms etc...) leaving only the OS on the SD card.

Is this possible? Does anyone have a step by step list of instructions?

I have been using update_all with an SD card which I understand has a USB version.