IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

So lay man’s explanation:

some clever folks have worked out a way of measuring the time taken between a button press on the controller, the signal to go to the mister linux and then that signal to be passed to the Fpga core. 

at about 1ms it’s near certain that the core will see the button press within the same display frame that you pressed it in. 

Rubbish controllers have a latency such that your button press takes so long to get to the fpga core that the frame has changed and something different is happening. 

Rule of thumb, snac > wired usb > 2.4GHz > Bluetooth 

Yeah, for the TV to display 60 FPS it has to show a new frame every 16ms. If the joypad had 16+ms of lag then it could never be read on the frame it was pushed.

Basically, 1ms lag is very good indeed

It also means you can laugh at people who say they can easily tell the difference between 2ms and 8ms of input lag. That difference only means that the smaller number will skip a single frame of input less frequently than the bigger number. Their brain would need to be able to accurately distinguish each time an input skips a frame, and then compile those results to work out an average of total inputs across their session. So, utterly fucking impossible, in other words.

Being able to feel when your game is consistently one, two, or more frames out is perfectly feasible - as you're dealing with compounded chunks of 16.6ms for every frame missed. I get roughly four frames of lag when playing on our 4K Samsung downstairs, mainly because it doesn't support MiSTer's 'vsync_adjust=2' mode. It's a complete shit show, and it's the main reason why I want a new TV.

3 minutes ago, Fallows said:

It also means you can laugh at people who say they can easily tell the difference between 2ms and 8ms of input lag. That difference only means that the smaller number will skip a single frame of input less frequently than the bigger number. Their brain would need to be able to accurately distinguish each time an input skips a frame, and then compile those results to work out an average of total inputs across their session. So, utterly fucking impossible, in other words.

Being able to feel when your game is consistently one, two, or more frames out is perfectly feasible - as you're dealing with compounded chunks of 16.6ms for every frame missed. I get roughly four frames of lag when playing on our 4K Samsung downstairs, mainly because it doesn't support MiSTer's 'vsync_adjust=2' mode. It's a complete shit show, and it's the main reason why I want a new TV.

Genuinely interesting. But...how does that go down when you tell the significant other the reason for wanting a new TV?! 😅🤓

7 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Love some of these, look proper bananas. Does the track ball work on the Centipede core?

I've not tried it (I will), but the trackball and spinner are just set up as mice so it probably should works. The trackball I've only really used on Mame for things like Cabal. The spinner for Arkanoid and Tempest. The spinner is a bastardised Razor Attrox I bought from here. put the stick into the 8bit arcade stick and stuck an ultimarc spinner in. It's very satisying to use. 

21 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Or when you tell her you want to swap out the shiny hdtv for a 32” crt from 2002…

A few years ago, on my way home from work, I found a 14" Panny CRT dumped on the street.  Obviously I picked it up and carried it home, like it was some kind of poor, abandoned baby.  I got home all happy, expecting my wife to rejoice with me.... "what the fuck is that, why have you bought the 1980's home"?

Totally worked...for about 6 months. Then I bought another one on Gumtree for £20 which I still have! The guy I bought it from looked like he might eat small children occasionally but I got out of their sharpish.

16 hours ago, Fallows said:

I enjoy watching RetroRGB's channel, and at one point he measured the input latency when using RetroArch on a Raspberry Pi. 
He was getting 2-8 frames of variable input lag on most games. 32-132ms of lag! lol and that's not including the lag added by the controller or tv! :lol:

Does anyone know how to get .hdf files from .dim files (for X68000 games)? I can't seem to find .hdfs or .d88s anywhere. Just want to test Akumajou Dracula!

Ed: all sorted now. Big thanks to Colonel Panic and watusi!

Nearly a month and a half away from the MiSTer (and gaming in general), I've come back to find CD audio has been implemented in the PS1 core. A couple of years ago I was extremely sceptical a PS1 core would ever happen. Having played tonight's build I have to say that I'm in awe of what has been achieved by Robert.

I'm a bit rusty, but couldn't resist playing Ridge Racer for the first time in a few years. It's 1994 / 1995 all over again!

Does anyone else here still run the ZX Spectrum Next core from the second SD card?

I’ve started having problems with mine since they updated the core on Wednesday.

N1KBh35.jpg

So now when you run update all, it places a boot.vhd file in the Spectrum Next games folder on the main SD card. This prevents the secondary SD card from loading the Speccy Next core from there. If I delete the boot.vhd file from the main card, the core loads fine from the secondary card.

And when I do try loading the Speccy Next core from the main SD card I get a BBBLUE.FW error appear.

Street Fighter III and Red Earth! That's really exciting. I think we're really reaching the edge of what MiSTer can do with PlayStation and Saturn and I wonder where we're going next. I imagine FPGAs for N64 and the generation above will be prohibitively expensive.

There's still a lot of boards the MiSTer can do that haven't made it yet, however. I think Konami and Sega systems are largely untouched. Some Super Scalers would be nice

14 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Really happy that Neo Geo Pocket is happening! Seemed like a big omission now that we have Wonderswan.

I swear it's one of the best libraries in terms of great: crap of any console.