IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

4 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

I got the jotego update for Hypersports and then updated. It doesn't work on my set up. The TV tells me the video mode is not supported and the picture flashes on and off. It displays perfectly but only for a second or two at a time. I've not had this before. Anyone got any idea what's going on? 

If I quit back to the main menu I can load other games no problem. 

Same story for me, one of the few cores where my Sony HD panel doesn't like the refresh rate the core is sending out. I had an an issue with Frogger in the early days of the MiSTer with this kind of problem, & I have seen it on one of Jotego's other recent cores as well (but memory fails me as to which game is affected). I was able to see the MiSTer menu long enough to see that there is a 60hz option

In case you can't see the menu on the screen press the MiSTer menu button, hit down twice & press the confirm button. This should then send out a 60hz signal that your display will be able to lock onto.

Alternatively, just add this to the bottom of your MiSTer ini file

[hyperspt]
vsync_adjust=0

The other problem I'm having with this particular core (well.two actually!) is the game doesn't seem to want to redefine my controls. It goes through the motions of doing it but then going to play the game the controls are as default. Also, it's the wrong Konami sports game! It should have been Hyper Olympics!

Thanks Shiffy. The ini line didn't work but switching to 60hz did although the telly still keeps up the notification that the video mode is not supported. It also displays this on the recent Robocop core, although that displays OK, it didn't when I first downloaded that. I recently did a firmware update on the TV. I wonder whether that's the culprit. 

Where can I find a 2-pin IEC320 cable (with plug) for a Mean Well PSU? I didn't realise they aren't provided with the one sold on the MisterFPGA UK site, and I can't seem to find the right kind online.

Thanks!

Edit: actually, I'm sure my JP Saturn uses this connector...

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Where can I find a 2-pin IEC320 cable (with plug) for a Mean Well PSU? I didn't realise they aren't provided with the one sold on the MisterFPGA UK site, and I can't seem to find the right kind online.

Thanks!

Edit: actually, I'm sure my JP Saturn uses this connector...

you can buy them on misterfpga.co.uk 

I’ve decided that I needed to finally pull the trigger on one of these and stuck an order in for the DE10 Nano directly with Terasic this morning. 

Seems like it may cost me a bit more that way when you take into account shipping and import costs but in this time of shortages I think going direct is probably worth it. 

8 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

I’ve decided that I needed to finally pull the trigger on one of these and stuck an order in for the DE10 Nano directly with Terasic this morning. 

Seems like it may cost me a bit more that way when you take into account shipping and import costs but in this time of shortages I think going direct is probably worth it. 

it is the best value in retro gaming right now

1 hour ago, ulala said:

I'd argue that it's the best value anywhere. It's quite easily one of my top 3 possessions, and it's the main reason behind me wanting to upgrade to an OLED TV so that I can play down there with vsync-adjust=2 (current 4K Samsung doesn't support it, so it's laggy).

Besides cost and availability there's literally no reason at all why absolutely every gamer shouldn't have one.

16 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

@fallows What is that v sync witchcraft of which you speak. Why do you need an OLED TV for it?

https://boogermann.github.io/Bible_MiSTer/getting-started/inputs/lag-explained/

When using HDMI output the image must be scaled up to fit the higher resolutions, which requires additional processing. The MiSTer scaler has options which impact its latency. vsync_adjust=2 in the ini file will result in about 4 scanlines of latency, while 0 or 1 will result in about 2 frames of latency, while having the advantage of being more compatible with displays.

You don't need an OLED specifically, but I know that the LG C range is compatible. Our existing Samsung is not compatible, and a whole 2 frames of lag is not a compromise I can live with. If I can get vsync-adjust=2 working downstairs I'll build another MiSTer to keep down there. Up here I have PVMs and compatible gaming displays so I don't need to worry about lag.

We're getting a new AV receiver and a Dali Oberon 5 setup soon, just before a new 65" OLED LG. A second MiSTer will be the cherry on top.

6 hours ago, ulala said:

The pi4 with RGB-pi OS4, seriously begs to differ! (at under £100 for the hardware, cable, memory storage and power supply). The OS is only in alpha stage and it runs retro games jaw droppingly well. If you hook it up to a good crt, it’s fantastic.

3 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

The pi4 with RGB-pi OS4, seriously begs to differ! (at under £100 for the hardware, cable, memory storage and power supply). The OS is only in alpha stage and it runs retro games jaw droppingly well. If you hook it up to a good crt, it’s fantastic.

I’ll stick to fpga, thanks 

55 minutes ago, dvdx2 said:

Meh. 

once you go fpga you never go back. If you want to keep thinking a pi4 is good enough, never try a mister.