IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

16 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

It's boring chat. Whatever works for people... But this IS the MiSTer thread!

Correct.

we can’t use “why not just get a pi” in this thread :) 

59 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

We're in danger of sounding like the Mister Master Race here. :)

Don’t worry I expected it! (And probably deserved it!)

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Meh. 

once you go fpga you never go back. If you want to keep thinking a pi4 is good enough, never try a mister. 

Don’t want to keep thinking anything! I commented about it being good value, that’s all.

I have both these setups. They are both great but serve slightly different purpose for me. RGBPI is yer fill yer boots jack of all trades, Mister just feels like a more refined just works experience. Certainly for computers Mister is far better IMO.

21 hours ago, Fallows said:

https://boogermann.github.io/Bible_MiSTer/getting-started/inputs/lag-explained/

You don't need an OLED specifically, but I know that the LG C range is compatible. Our existing Samsung is not compatible, and a whole 2 frames of lag is not a compromise I can live with. If I can get vsync-adjust=2 working downstairs I'll build another MiSTer to keep down there. Up here I have PVMs and compatible gaming displays so I don't need to worry about lag.

We're getting a new AV receiver and a Dali Oberon 5 setup soon, just before a new 65" OLED LG. A second MiSTer will be the cherry on top.

I'm having display problems enabling vsync_adjust=0 on my LGCX. I am passing my MiSTer hdmi through an HDMI switcher. Does that need to be of a certain standard in order for this all to work?

18 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

The pi4 with RGB-pi OS4, seriously begs to differ! (at under £100 for the hardware, cable, memory storage and power supply). The OS is only in alpha stage and it runs retro games jaw droppingly well. If you hook it up to a good crt, it’s fantastic.

A pi-4, s-video is garbage, and the XRGB isn't good at 480i?

...dude...

2 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Oh sorry, 2 yeah.

And quoting Fallows, he mentioned that "I know that the LG C range is compatible" so I was wondering if a switcher might introduce compatibility issues.

Oh shit, this is concerning, then. I'm sure someone over on NTSC-UK had vsync_adjust=2 working on their LG.

I'm going to have to demo this myself. Ultimately I'd want the MiSTer going through a Denon receiver, but demoing that particular chain might be troublesome. I should probably ask around more.

9 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I wonder if displays that don’t like vsync_adjust=2 have issues with the similar RetroTink 5x setting. I’m guessing so. 

I have vsync_adjust set to the lowest setting and most things work just fine but some stuff - often arcade cores - won't display. 

It'll be because they're set to a weird refresh like 59.3993hz or 60.2233hz or something. A flat panel sometimes doesn't like it. 

I have a CRT and a Sony HDTV simultaneously connected to my Mister, so if I get no picture on the flatplanel, it will always work on the CRT. 

All four LG inputs support HDMI 2.1, so I kinda doubt that (tested 4k 120hz on three of them).

Also, it seems to settle when in game, but causes cuts when you load a core, or open the menu to load a rom.

It might be fine? Also, as I said, both of the HDMI switchers don't support HDMI 2.1, but I highly doubt this is about data rates....

Can anyone recommend a post-Brexit forwarding service from the US to the UK for MiSTerAddons? I've been after one of his aluminium cases for over a year. His eBay and European distribution solutions haven't materialised yet.

I'm in the same boat being situated in the Netherlands. The EU really don't want us buying internationally anymore, so absolutely everything gets customs taxed up the ass.

Brexit is a whole massive issue. I tried to discuss with "porkchop" regarding distribution from Germany but he's aloof.

Exactly as @Fallows writes above; it's the same for Germany. I understand "keeping it local" and supporting your country (or the EU) but there are things only available outside of the EU, which now get taxed up the arse (VAT + other fees). Anything I receive from the UK is now added to this list; and the UK rarely sell you anything without VAT because they're not used to it, so you pay UK VAT then once again import VAT due to incorrect paperwork, and a handling fee. It's a bloody nightmare. To add insult to injury, my MiSTer was stolen when in possession of DHL, in transit between Portugal and Germany, but that's a whole other rant.

Things could be worse, yes, but I really feel they are objectively worse than 10 years ago in almost all areas!

I also want an aluminium case, but it looks like it won't be happening.

2 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Brexit is a whole massive issue. I tried to discuss with "porkchop" regarding distribution from Germany but he's aloof.

I've asked a few times and been told that he was reserving stock for UK buyers, arranging distributors, etc. but nothing's actually happened beyond him selling MiSTercade via eBay. Asking again is getting a bit awkward now. I know he's not obligated to do anything but it's hard not to feel strung along a bit, hence looking for a forwarding service.

2 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

but it’s not an EU conspiracy. 

I don't mind paying VAT, but they literally stated in a press release that they want to further support retail trade more robustly among and within the member states, and that was the main reason why they were beginning to charge tax/customs and handling/admin fees on every single shipment coming in, regardless of the value. It's made everything from outside the EU prohibitively expensive.

On top of that you've got to wait an extra 2-4 weeks for your shit to get processed by some third-party agency they've contracted to handle all of this (at least here in the Netherlands). These same twats 'lose' stuff of worth all the time as well. I've had two Switch games that my mum sent for my son vanish under their handling. So, the alternative is to pay even more for insured shipping on a £20 game or just not fucking bother with gifts at all until we're there to collect in person.

First-world problems and all that. I genuinely don't like complaining about this stuff when poor people are getting blown up not so far away, especially not in this great thread. We've got it all, really, but it's just not a case of Brexit=bad/EU=good. It's not that black and white. They're all twats, and it's just never enough for them, they always want more more more.

Well, post a link to the press release at least!!

It’s not that big a deal in Ireland now most external postal systems are putting the right customs declarations on stuff. 

The €3.50 admin fee we pay isn’t an EU edict though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I've asked a few times and been told that he was reserving stock for UK buyers, arranging distributors, etc. but nothing's actually happened beyond him selling MiSTercade via eBay. Asking again is getting a bit awkward now. I know he's not obligated to do anything but it's hard not to feel strung along a bit, hence looking for a forwarding service.

image.png.3c7e0177e516ee6edfe2af80b565682e.png

That means no shipping to the EU, as he won't do the required customs declarations.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

I don't mind paying VAT, but they literally stated in a press release that they want to further support retail trade more robustly among and within the member states, and that was the main reason why they were beginning to charge tax/customs and handling/admin fees on every single shipment coming in, regardless of the value. It's made everything from outside the EU prohibitively expensive.

On top of that you've got to wait an extra 2-4 weeks for your shit to get processed by some third-party agency they've contracted to handle all of this (at least here in the Netherlands). These same twats 'lose' stuff of worth all the time as well. I've had two Switch games that my mum sent for my son vanish under their handling. So, the alternative is to pay even more for insured shipping on a £20 game or just not fucking bother with gifts at all until we're there to collect in person.

Yep, someone stole my lovely MiSTer FPGA.

20 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Something after a google. I don't know if it's the correct stuff, as I gave up trying to read into it all. The whole process heavily restricts imports now, it's just such a pain. Multiple steps backwards, that's how things feel these days.

Anyway, I now have a MiSTer again so I am "happy" :D

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

I did try finding it, but I had a meeting a few minutes after. This is the closest I could find. I'm sure I linked the old one in one of the politics threads at some point because it was so shonkily written.

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/vat-e-commerce_en

We are making life simpler and fairer for all.

👍

The benefits are wide and varied

- Consumers will appreciate knowing that when buying goods online from outside or inside the EU, the VAT rate applied is the same as for goods acquired in their home country - the new rules make sure that VAT is paid where consumption of goods takes place

- EU businesses will be able to grow in a simplified, fairer environment and overcome the barriers to cross-border online sales - the European Digital Single Market aims to make technology work for people in a fair and competitive digital economy;

- EU citizens will see public revenues increase (:lol:) - thanks to increased VAT payments and less VAT fraud, all Member States will benefit.

It'd be a lot better if they simply told the truth. "Look, we're losing too much money to China and elsewhere and the only way to make you idiots stop buying all your pointless shit from there is to tax you hard over it, like REALLY hard, because you just won't fucking learn otherwise, will you?" I could get behind that, instead of this spin where they're trying to make it sound amazing and how they're trying to be my mate and make my life better and stuff.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

The €3.50 admin fee we pay isn’t an EU edict though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would fucking come everywhere if I only had to pay €3.50 for admin. My admin and handling came in at €27.50 the last time I actually received something that wasn't lifted by some scruffy, thieving twat ($60 USD of board game miniatures, for the final all-in cost of €120+...).

Sorry, I really don't want to rant in this thread about politics. Let's get back to the exciting vsync_adjust=2 talk, or something.

Yep, amazingly more boring than vsync_adjust=2!!

I’ve never changed the setting as my MiSTers are both connected to CRTs except for initial setup and memtests. 

The MisterAddons thing is disappointing. I got a MiSTerCade when he put some on eBay. It was lucky my child had me up at the required 5am listing time.

3 hours ago, Spoonman said:

image.png.3c7e0177e516ee6edfe2af80b565682e.png

That means no shipping to the EU, as he won't do the required customs declarations.

Replied on the Discord but the last time we spoke he said that he was getting closer to sorting this out. Quite a shame if he's dropped it entirely as I'm also interested in his forthcoming all-in-one system.

Edit: result!

Screenshot_20220414-180508.thumb.png.d36d6a67abfa6ce8959029c331999d59.png

16 hours ago, Fallows said:

LG C9 is compatible with vsync_adjust=2.

Source: Me, first hand. I'll be trying out the C1 and C2 next Saturday.

Its all on a core by core basis though. 
my Sony 1080p screen does almost ever console just fine with vsync_adjust set to 2, but A LOT of arcade cores won’t work because they’re all different with often super weird refresh timings. 

The other options for vsync_adjust will simply be forcing the core to run closer to 60hz and really shouldn’t be adding that much more lag!