MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

My Samsung just says no to everything.

The official NeoGeo core is a problem even on my PC monitors (as is DoDonPachi), but I have an unofficial one that forces 60Hz and works fine. I only need that if I’m not playing on a CRT, which is never.

I've just had an update from the Sinden Lightgun people as I'm currently waiting on one of the guns arriving. I was looking forward to getting this setup on my PC and runnning a load of lightgun classics on there but then in the update it says:

"The 2nd cool thing is that I've finally got a MiSTer FPGA ordered which is due to come in the next few weeks.  I'm hoping that I can get the Sinden Lightgun working directly on the device without needing a Pi in between like with the PS1/PS2 mods.  It has quite a good library of lightgun games that will work, especially with the recent PS1 improvements.  Like everything else there is a bit of a shortage at the moment of the main FPGA board, if you do want to get one in the future I recommend ordering direct from the manufacturer in Taiwan rather than paying inflated ebay prices."

Which would be another great option especially with games such as Point Blank on the PS1 core. Exciting! I really hope they can make it work.

Just now, SuperFamiTom said:

So I'm looking to order an arcade stick for when my MiSTer finally gets built (for Neo Geo and Arcade cores mainly) and so far the front runner appears to be the 8Bitdo one here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Arcade-Nintendo-Switch-Windows/dp/B08GJC5WSS

Is there any reason I should avoid this or is there a better choice?

I bought this one just last week and think it's really excellent for the money. Choice of BT or 5GHz via a dongle (I am just using BT, and it seems fine to my old reflexes). It feels sturdy and well built, and has stood up to a weekend of Track n Field just fine. 

36 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

So I'm looking to order an arcade stick for when my MiSTer finally gets built (for Neo Geo and Arcade cores mainly) and so far the front runner appears to be the 8Bitdo one here...

I've had one of these for a little while.  I like the 8bitdo stick,but I keep finding myself going back to my old XB360 Sanwa / Madcatz Street Fighter IV stick. I guess it's all down to personal preference at the the end of the day and what feels "right" for you. As these Matcatz sticks probably aren't available new anymore the 8bitdo is certainly a good choice.

7 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Trying out the beta Nemesis core at the moment - https://github.com/GX400-Friends/gx400-bin

It's pretty decent from my brief go, although the original was in a screwy aspect ratio which would take a bit of effort to line up on my cabinet despite it using the Jotego framework which has controls in there to adjust h and v pos. 

Has this been updated since the initial mid-March beta release?

57 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

I have one of these which I've modded with Sanwa Sticks and buttons. It's good out the box anyway but very easy to mod/tweak. You can see it here:

10CDE8DA-645D-4041-8393-597924ECEBEE.jpeg.af07ce694519a7cd94dce5fa8f509657.jpeg

6 minutes ago, watusi said:

the fact you can go wired and also 5G/BT in both switch and xbox mode makes it really flexible to connect to different devices too

It works on Xbox? Didn’t realise that. Thought it was just Switch and PC. That’s great news. I’m assuming it won’t also work on PS5?

2 hours ago, Dr_Dave said:

I bought this one just last week and think it's really excellent for the money. Choice of BT or 5GHz via a dongle (I am just using BT, and it seems fine to my old reflexes). It feels sturdy and well built, and has stood up to a weekend of Track n Field just fine. 

Interesting that it has support for both. Is any other 8bitdo controllers compatible with the 5Ghz dongle?

EDIT: Answered my own question: https://www.8bitdo.com/#Products

I'm bored at work, so here's my second question of the day...

My DE10-Nano board if the estimate from Terasic is to be believed won't be here until the end of June. With that in mind is it worth waiting to order the extra bits I'll want such as I/O Board, USB Hub and RAM module until nearer the time? The reason I ask is that looking on misterfpga.co.uk I can see that the components have version numbers. Would I be better to wait until nearer the time to order to ensure I get the latest version of boards or are they really just maybe cosmetic / component changes that make no difference at all to functionality?

Are there are any big changes in the pipeline that should be here within the next couple of months that might be worth holding out for?

Ta.

9 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

I'm bored at work, so here's my second question of the day...

My DE10-Nano board if the estimate from Terasic is to be believed won't be here until the end of June. With that in mind is it worth waiting to order the extra bits I'll want such as I/O Board, USB Hub and RAM module until nearer the time? The reason I ask is that looking on misterfpga.co.uk I can see that the components have version numbers. Would I be better to wait until nearer the time to order to ensure I get the latest version of boards or are they really just maybe cosmetic / component changes that make no difference at all to functionality?

Are there are any big changes in the pipeline that should be here within the next couple of months that might be worth holding out for?

Ta.

No difference  at all 

Was just about to this about the 32X. I'd seen something from Sentient6 ealier in the day hinting at it, but I ignored it just thinking it was wishful thinking! I've already tried the core, for the most part it's fine. But there are some audio issues with the few games I've tried. Still, considering the circumstances srg320 has released this under, nobody will mind!

9 hours ago, shiffy said:

Still, considering the circumstances srg320 has released this under, nobody will mind!

You have more faith in the Internet than I do! 😆

So what’s good on 32x? I’ve never even seen one in the flesh!

There’s a couple of DF Retro videos from a while back where John Lineman goes through every game released. That’s definitely worth a watch. 

In other news, my DE10-Nano board that Terasic were supposed to be shipping at the end of June was actually sent overnight and is arriving here on Tuesday. Definitely made the right decision to order direct. 🙂

Could do with a little bit of advice / a sanity check on the bits I'm looking to order if anyone would be so kind?

In my definite list I've got the following...

128MB SDRAM

USB Hub Board

WiFi Adaptor

5V 4A PSU

Inline Power Switch

I'm a touch confused with regard to I/O boards though. Assuming I'm not going to plug this into a CRT anytime soon I'm guessing I don't need the normal I/O board? What does the Digital I/O board give me though? I believe I'm correct in thinking that HDMI out comes from the DE10-Nano board itself and so would the Digital I/O board give me anything other than the 3 buttons for normal usage? How important are they? The description states that the Digital I/O board gives a power switch...would that mean that I wouldn't need to also buy the Inline Power Switch? Obviously the Digital I/O board also gives the Fan...do I still need a heatsink with that?

Is there anything else I've not considered that I'll need (I've already got a large MicroSD card)

Many thanks in advance 🙂

If you are not wanting to hook up to a crt then you don’t need the analogue io board. The digital io board is mainly used for the three buttons and to hold a fan. You can wire up switches directly to the second set of gpio pins for buttons if you wish (I do that for my case mounted menu button). Personally I don’t think it’s needed. You can get a cheap stick on heatsink and fan from misterfpga.co.uk that you can power from the gpio pins. 

yea, the digital io board does have a power switch and feeds the power to the de10. You don’t need the inline switch if you get this. Some inline switches cause power drops. 

The usb hub board, do you know how you are powering that? You might need a power splitter or if using a digital io, a jumper cable to take power from the unused de10 power jack. 

Unless you're connecting loads of USB devices, the power supply that comes with the DE10 Nano is more than sufficient. It's a 2 pin plug though, which is annoying.

From MisterFPGA.co.uk, at least, the USB hub comes with a power splitter.

I use an inline power switch and don't have power issues, but all I connect to mine is a wifi adapter and two 2.4GHz USB dongles for controllers.

RAM and an OTG USB adapter is literally the bare minimum you'll need. A heatsink is a nice to have, a fan isn't remotely essential.