MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

Thanks for the detailed responses. Think I need to have a proper think, a good read of the documentation and not rush into buying stuff I maybe don’t need. Ideally I want the simplest and cleanest set up I can get away with. 

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

yea, the digital io board does have a power switch and feeds the power to the de10. You don’t need the inline switch if you get this. Some inline switches cause power drops.

I'd get the Digital I/O and drop the inline power switch. I bought an inline switch with mine but chose not to use it over the power drop stories which are probably a non-issue all said and done, but still, it's so easy just flicking the switch of the mains that it's plugged directly into anyway. Although not essential I also like a neatly mounted Noctua fan, purely because if it had turned out that the cheaper fan could be heard I didn't want to regret not spending that extra £16. Then there are the buttons which get used on my Analog I/O all the time. I purposely don't have a mouse and KB anywhere near mine (even remotely) in an attempt to make things feel more consoley/arcadey, so I need those buttons. It'd be really cool if I could add more buttons somehow, like for coins/credits or DIP settings.

I'll be getting a Digital I/O board for my second MiSTer, which is destined for the living room. I'd also need one to fill out the acrylic enclosures that they do. Despite keeping a bit of packing sheath as a neat little dust cover for mine there's a micro-layer of dust on my boards from using the open perspex covers which, unfortunately, compressed air alone isn't strong enough to budge. So yeah, if you don't want to have to unscrew and unmount boards every couple of years for a brushing off I'd look at their cases.

Get the premium copper heatsink - don't compromise over a £6.70 difference.

7 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

Thanks for the detailed responses. Think I need to have a proper think, a good read of the documentation and not rush into buying stuff I maybe don’t need. Ideally I want the simplest and cleanest set up I can get away with. 

de10

usb board

128MB ram

inline switch

Y splitter cable

heat sink

fan & top plate

250 g micro sd card, more if you like cd games 

Bluetooth (for keyboard / mouse ) 

you will not need the I/ o board or a new psu, but get a travel adapter as the supplied psu plug is USA style

On 21/04/2022 at 22:15, ulala said:

250 g micro sd card, more if you like cd games 

I've personnally gone with a smaller usb card (an 8 gig I think) that just has the MiSTer install on it. 

I've opted for a far bigger and cheaper USB storage. There's no speed difference if it's solid state. 

The other reason is you might find yourself disconnecting the USB storage to connect to a PC to copy ROM's and BIOS files over. This is a massive pain with the SD card and usually end with it falling out and into the case. 

There is the FTP option, but I find it to be massively shit and unreliable over wifi. Probably will be better via ethernet 

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

There is the FTP option, but I find it to be massively shit and unreliable over wifi. Probably will be better via ethernet 

Hmm. Mine is fine. Maybe try a new WiFi dongle? I’ve heard of others resolving by doing that.

Occasionally the IP address on my MiSTer will change, despite being set as static. I just need to put the new one in that’s displayed right there on the front of the main menu whenever that happens (rarely).

I only ever unplug stuff when I’m switching controllers. I could never live without that convenience now.

Quick heads up for anyone with an outstanding order. Digikey have just charged me for my order of a DE10 Nano. (Order made around 6 months ago). 

Looks like it’s about to ship. 

39 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

It comes with a universal voltage PSU, but with 2 pins. It’s more than enough, you just need an adapter. 

absolutely this.

get a USA to U.K. travel adaptor 

I've ran into a really nice surprise today. We decided to test out the MiSTer on our new speakers for a bit, but then at the same time also learned that the Denon will handle vsync_adjust=2 and pass it to the otherwise non-compatible TV! Even the generally fussy cores such as the NeoGeo work perfectly.

IMG-1604.jpg

The regular vertical and horizontal scanlines look great when doubled up, like some kind of massive LCD handheld.

IMG-1620.jpg

It looks so lush at regular viewing distance, and I can't wait for the OLED because it'll probably end up looking better than the PVM.

IMG-1621.jpg

TV not mounted because new one incoming. I'd love this one upstairs as it only packs 21ms of latency in game mode (Samsung JU7500), but it's going to be no use for the MiSTer without this receiver. :(

6 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Which scanline / shadow mask settings are you using there?

Sorry, was out and about so couldn't reply immediately.

Horz. filter: Scanlines - Darker.txt

Vert. filter: Same as Horz

Scan filter: Same as Vert

Gamma correction: Off

Shadow Mask: None

I've got mine outputting at 720p, as this will 3X upscale into 4K (720p x 3 = 2160p) for perfectly even scanlines.

that looks gorgeous @Fallows!

On 28/04/2022 at 18:29, bignige said:

Digikey have just charged me for my order of a DE10 Nano.

No update on my Mouser order from January :( Come oooon!

There's a new arcade beta core for those who like to try things before they're released publically, SNK's Alpha Mission with the core in development by RndMnkIII. The relevant files can be downloaded from here. Only managed to get the "ASO.mra" variant to work initially as the other two MRA files are complaining about a missing file in the rom. While I have got "Alpha Mission" & "Arian Mission" working it's not worth the hassle so just stick to loading "ASO".

https://github.com/RndMnkIII/AlphaMission

De10 Nano arrived and now built and cores working. 
Does anybody else have issues with booting up? Sometimes it’ll take several tries for it to start properly after plugging it in. 
Unplugging it, reseating the micro sd card usually ends up with it loading correctly. 

3 minutes ago, bignige said:

De10 Nano arrived and now built and cores working. 
Does anybody else have issues with booting up? Sometimes it’ll take several tries for it to start properly after plugging it in. 
Unplugging it, reseating the micro sd card usually ends up with it loading correctly. 

no issues like that here.

did you run the diagnostics before adding hardware to the de10? 

22 minutes ago, ulala said:

no issues like that here.

did you run the diagnostics before adding hardware to the de10? 

I did not. 
I can run it after or should I take it apart and run? 

On 27/04/2022 at 16:14, Kevvy Metal said:

I've personnally gone with a smaller usb card (an 8 gig I think) that just has the MiSTer install on it. 

I've opted for a far bigger and cheaper USB storage. There's no speed difference if it's solid state. 

The other reason is you might find yourself disconnecting the USB storage to connect to a PC to copy ROM's and BIOS files over. This is a massive pain with the SD card and usually end with it falling out and into the case. 

Sorry to jump in but have you got instructions on how to set up the Mister with the USB drive?

32 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

Sorry to jump in but have you got instructions on how to set up the Mister with the USB drive?

copy your games folder including the structure to you USB drive, no need to delete it from your SD card. Keep storage on SD card in the menu. 

that’s it! They’re basically seen as one big folder. I keep my games folded empty on the SD card