IGNORED

MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

What files are coming down as .rar files. @Count Buffalos? If you're talking about the CD images of PS1 games then they need to be unpacked so that each game is in it's own folder as bin/cue. If you want you can then convert these to .chd to save space. If you're talking about the bios files then they also need to be unpacked & renamed (see my post from earlier today). These live in the /Games/PSX folder.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I've got PS1 images as .rar files. I've extracted those into folders and imported those to /Games/PSX  but the MiSTer can't see the files. For example, I have a folder of a game which contains a .bin and a .cue file. The MiSTer can see the game folder but not the two files in it.

It looks like the BIOS files are already there after update_all. 

My intial thought would be to cold reboot the MiSTer and try loading the game again. It sounds like everything is set correctly, can you post some screengrabs of your PSX folder layout and the folder with the PS1 game in it?

29 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Cool, ta. Does the core have support for analogue sticks yet?

It does. I've played a bunch of Ape Escape with the core, and that requires a Dual Shock. 

The DS4 or DS5 work amazing with it btw.

17 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Which controllers are you all using with the PSX core?

I use a couple of 8bitdo Pro 2s (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Bluetooth-Controller-Android-Raspberry/dp/B08XY8H9D5)

And, honestly, they've been great for PSX. Analogue works fine where needed, and it has the right layout. You do need to know where the cross/circle/etc lie on the buttons, but that should be muscle memory by now, right?

2 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Absolutely! Just thinking of input lag really. I presume that a BT capable controller but using a USB cable will give the same input lag as a hard wired equivalent?

Presumably, yeah.

I use them over BT and I don't notice a single problem - but I appreciate this is a sensitivity thing. For me, the biggest lag is between my brain and hands, the BT is nippy in comparison :)

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

Are you using those controllers wired?

Yes, the wired lag with the DS4 is really low at about 3ms and the DS5 is even lower. 

They're one of the best options available. 

Just a question; still don’t have my DE10 Nano (yet). Say I have an SD card of a certain capacity in my DE10 Nano, and that SD card gets filled up, can I add additional storage for ROMs and stuff via the USB sockets in the USB Hub board?

21 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Just a question; still don’t have my DE10 Nano (yet). Say I have an SD card of a certain capacity in my DE10 Nano, and that SD card gets filled up, can I add additional storage for ROMs and stuff via the USB sockets in the USB Hub board?

Yes. And that's my preferred way of running it. I keep the OS on a minimally sized SD card, which I can image for backup easily. And I use a USB stick or USB hard drive to keep all my games on.

It's fairly transparent the way it works... it just uses the first /games/<console> folder that it finds, going from SD card, to usb0, to usb1 etc.

As someone who didn’t own a PS1 does anyone have recommendations for 2D or quirky games I might have missed?  I borrowed a friends PS1 for a while but all he had was Resident Evil, V Rally and Tekken.

Here’s a list of PS1 arcade ports for those that don’t have a specific core in the works.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_khZjTa6sGGEANWgFc1-C3EyU32wIcO4Byy706r5ImA/htmlview

EDIT

Also some may find Googling “chadmaster archive.org” useful.

48 minutes ago, Mr Monday said:

As someone who didn’t own a PS1 does anyone have recommendations for 2D or quirky games I might have missed?  I borrowed a friends PS1 for a while but all he had was Resident Evil, V Rally and Tekken.

"No-one Can Stop Mr Domino".

1 hour ago, Mr Monday said:

My time to shine/self-promote.

2D PS1 games:

Overlooked games:

If you cba watching or scanning through the 25 games one has chapters which reveal all the secrets ("games"). The 2D one doesn't, I haven't gone back and added them.

And if those tickle your fancy, just search PS1 or PlayStation in the rest of my videos for a few more similar lists. I like PlayStation.

1 hour ago, Mr Monday said:

Here’s a list of PS1 arcade ports for those that don’t have a specific core in the works.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_khZjTa6sGGEANWgFc1-C3EyU32wIcO4Byy706r5ImA/htmlview

EDIT

Also some may find Googling “chadmaster archive.org” useful.

The PS1 has Parodius games. Decent conversions, too. I recommend them.

2 hours ago, Dr_Dave said:

Yes. And that's my preferred way of running it. I keep the OS on a minimally sized SD card, which I can image for backup easily. And I use a USB stick or USB hard drive to keep all my games on.

It's fairly transparent the way it works... it just uses the first /games/<console> folder that it finds, going from SD card, to usb0, to usb1 etc.

Thanks! :) I’ll do just that.

11 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

The PS1 has Parodius games. Decent conversions, too. I recommend them.

Parodius is a weird series where they all came out in both Japan and Europe but nothing in the US! I even had Parodius on the SNES!

I'd recommend the Japanese version of PlayStation Parodius for 60 hz goodness. 

Thanks all for the recommendations.   Parts of the nineties were my gaming wilderness years when I was at Uni and had no money.  I did still buy Edge every month and played some PC stuff, but I didn’t buy any games after the Megadrive until I bought a Dreamcast.

Boom!

94CC00E3-E456-4EB6-84C3-433FBE94CBAD.jpeg.863b58c915872740f78c126737efd6a1.jpeg

Direct from Terasic, only took a few weeks. 

My 128MB SDRAM expansion also came today from OzMisterMods, unfortunately they don’t have any digital I/O boards in stock but guess I can get started without that for now. 

Very exciting! 

23 hours ago, Dr_Dave said:

I use a couple of 8bitdo Pro 2s (https://smile.amazon.co.uk/8Bitdo-Bluetooth-Controller-Android-Raspberry/dp/B08XY8H9D5)

And, honestly, they've been great for PSX. Analogue works fine where needed, and it has the right layout. You do need to know where the cross/circle/etc lie on the buttons, but that should be muscle memory by now, right?

I've got the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro and never got the analogue sticks to work on MiSTer (or anything else, for that matter).

Is there something I need to do to get them working?

2 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

I've got the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro and never got the analogue sticks to work on MiSTer (or anything else, for that matter).

Is there something I need to do to get them working?

Hmmm, I think I just defined them in the MiSTer controller mapping (not the core specific mapping). Then they just started working in the PSX core when I had the pad configured to "Analog" mode in the menu.