MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

Super Hang On is far and away my favourite '2D' racing game so now I'm wondering what kind of analogue controller input might work well for the MiSTer core (I'm pretty sure Jotego mentioned it was something that is definitely on his roadmap).

I'm actually thinking an original N64 controller with its precision long throw thumbstick might be pretty good for this. Or maybe a GameCube controller as that's got a pretty excellent precise thumbstick too.

Actually - the PSX Namco NeGcon controller - the one with an analogue twist mechanism - that's an incredible hybrid analogue / digital controller and a joy to use.

I do hope it'll be testable for the core which runs this game.

I'm sure they're fine, I just don't have or use any Xbox hardware and feel weird about buying a dedicated modern controller just for analogue input on a MiSTer core.

I'm aware some people enjoy PS4/PS5 controllers for analogue input but I'd much rather use older analogue controllers I already have an excessive quantity of.

19 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

I'm sure they're fine, I just don't have or use any Xbox hardware and feel weird about buying a dedicated modern controller just for analogue input on a MiSTer core.

I'm aware some people enjoy PS4/PS5 controllers for analogue input but I'd much rather use older analogue controllers I already have an excessive quantity of.

Ahh, I use a DualShock and 360 controller for most things but grabbed a cheap wireless SNES and Mega-Drive clone for the MiSTER.

I wasn't expecting this so soon, especially after reading some of the core author's posts earlier this week. The Battle Garegga release candidate core has dropped (Kingdom Grand Prix & Sorcer Striker also on the same core). Get the files from here. As usual with some of these beta cores, a manual install is required. Enjoy!

Sadly, I'm having the same problem with these new Raizing games that I had with the Batrider core - everything is in the right place, but when I select an .mra file from the _Arcade folder it just flicks back to the starting menu on the OSD. If I try to run one of the new games whilst another core is open, it says "no rbf found!" in the top-left corner. (The .rbf file is in _Arcade/cores, of course.)

Anyone else had this issue?

Edit: they all work after I downloaded the raw code and stuck it in a .txt file, then changed the extension. Just downloading the .mras by right-clicking these links won't cut it.

@KlatrymadonI suspect I know what your issue is, but I can't test my theory at the moment as I won't have access to the MiSTer for about a week. Anyway, here goes!

I suspect that you're right-clicking & saving on these link shown in the first image. This will give you a file that won't work. Left click on the MRA link, this will take you to the code itself (see 2nd image). On the right hand side at the top of the code you will see a button that says "RAW". Right-click on "Raw" and then "save link as". That should then give you the working mra file. Once you've got the mra files then run update-all as normal.

I hope that helps!

mister1.png

Mister2.png

Another pre-release beta core for you to try. I'm not going to able to test this one for a few days so I'll be relying on you guys to tell me how it is! Seems to be a new shmup core every week at the moment.

R-Type for the M72 core. Download the various parts needed from here. I'm assuming a manual install will be required.

12 hours ago, shiffy said:

Seems to be a new shmup core every week at the moment.

...and god bless the wonderful people making that happen! I'm happy to wait for stable releases (plenty to play!), but it's fantastic.

I cannot wax lyrical enough about the MiSTer project :wub:

Oh shit…. Batrider? Garegga? Dodonpachi (and the rest!!!). This could be the end for my pcbs like. Wow. 

As soon as Batsugun hits I think that’s my tipping point. 

Hold your hosses - at the moment there are significant sound issues in Mahou Daisakusen / Sorcer Striker (the music plays at something like double the tempo), and I believe Garegga sounds wrong in places, too. I've also noticed some graphical glitches in Bakraid, so I'd wait for the absolute final releases before shifting anything you own. The Neo Geo core's issues have never been fixed, so it's not always a safe bet that problems will disappear, alas! 😛

(This may not affect you, but as with the Cave CV68000 cores, I've been unable to get any of the Raizing games to sync on CRT.)

Oh don’t worry, I’m a right lazy git and the thought of the effort of having to sell anything puts me right off. 

But I can totally see a point in time where I’ll give up pcbs in favour of something like the Mister. 

Though….. one of the main things I love about pcbs is the lack of having a billion games at your fingertips all at once. Gives you a bit of focus. 

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Hold your hosses - at the moment there are significant sound issues in Mahou Daisakusen / Sorcer Striker (the music plays at something like double the tempo), and I believe Garegga sounds wrong in places, too. I've also noticed some graphical glitches in Bakraid, so I'd wait for the absolute final releases before shifting anything you own. The Neo Geo core's issues have never been fixed, so it's not always a safe bet that problems will disappear, alas! 😛

(This may not affect you, but as with the Cave CV68000 cores, I've been unable to get any of the Raizing games to sync on CRT.)

I agree that these are by no means "perfect" at the moment, & I always accept that whenever I try out these beta cores. This post below will please you all, still under active development. Oh. the core has had an update since I posted it originally so worth downloading the newer versions of the rbf files.

Pramod Somashekar

@pr4m0d

25 Jul

When I get more time, I'll move onto the next phase of the work which is timing. So I have to measure the timings of different things like dtack gen, dma, etc. and tune the cores to play with the same timings as the board. Since the functionality is sound now, I have a good base.

yeah the more arcade/cave stuff that becomes available the more interested i am in one of these.

not sure if it's worth pointing out but stuff that has a recent shottriggers port, like garegga/ketsui/dangun etc. - if you really get into these games the ports are worth getting, probably better than the arcade versions because of the practice features and arrange modes etc.

19 hours ago, shiffy said:

Another pre-release beta core for you to try. I'm not going to able to test this one for a few days so I'll be relying on you guys to tell me how it is! Seems to be a new shmup core every week at the moment.

R-Type for the M72 core. Download the various parts needed from here. I'm assuming a manual install will be required.

Awww man, R-Type. This really is the motherload for me. My fav shoot-em-up by a far margin.

On 26/07/2022 at 16:27, shiffy said:

I must be dumb - can't get this working <_<

Probably doing something similar to Klatrymadon but I'm pretty sure I've downloaded the raw files and put them in the right places:

R-Type (Japan).mra and R-Type (World).mra in /media/fat/_Arcade/

M72_xx.rbf in /media/fat/_Arcade/cores/)

Then ran update_all - it downloaded rtype.zip to /media/fat/games/mame/

..just switches back to OSD when I try to run one of them.

EDIT - I was being an idiot. Don't worry I downloaded them again and it worked :doh:

anyway, R-Type.. woo hoo!

50 minutes ago, roobarb said:

EDIT - I was being an idiot. Don't worry I downloaded them again and it worked :doh:

anyway, R-Type.. woo hoo!

Glad you got it sorted!

Sorry for another tech-issue post, but when I play DDP (and presumably other Cave cores) on my LCD monitor at the game's native 57hz, the scrolling is quite choppy. It's fine when switched to 60hz, but obviously this massively affects the scoring (certain chain links are simply not possible at 60). I'm assuming this is because the TV's refresh rate doesn't match the game's, but is there anything I can do about that?

Thanks!

*sigh* my Mouser order of a DE10 Nano was meant to ship last week, but it updated the expected shipment date to next January. I made the order last September. Sell off the case and the boards and give up, or is there an alternative to getting the main board that won’t cost stupid amounts of money? :( 

16 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

*sigh* my Mouser order of a DE10 Nano was meant to ship last week, but it updated the expected shipment date to next January. I made the order last September. Sell off the case and sun-boards and give up, or is there an alternative to getting the main board that won’t cost stupid amounts of money? :( 

Cancel the order and buy directly from Terasic?

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

*sigh* my Mouser order of a DE10 Nano was meant to ship last week, but it updated the expected shipment date to next January. I made the order last September. Sell off the case and sun-boards and give up, or is there an alternative to getting the main board that won’t cost stupid amounts of money? :( 

Not had an email stating it but I'm still waiting for mine. I know getting it direct will cost significantly more due to shipping and customs, probably £300 or so. I may just have to do it. Surely Mouser didn't have that many orders they've run out already.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Is it significantly more expensive?

215 USD, according to this page. I don't know how much the shipping and customs would total though. Mouser was £198 for the board before shipping when I checked this morning. Estimated ship date from Terasic direct was the 19th of August.