MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

19 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

Seems my RAM module has gone funky - games started going a bit wonky, then crashing, then outright not starting. Tried reseating it, seemed to fix things for a week or so, but the problems have returned. Running the DE10 without additional RAM works perfectly (the cores that work sans RAM, at least) so it's definitely the module.

Now comes the fun part: going at the module with the hot air station (and a ton of flux) to see if that helps in the slightest. Way I figure it I either fix it almost by accident, or I don't and it's broken anyway. All I wanted to do was play Final Fight for a bit, sigh.

Well, reflowed and put memtest on - managed 11 hours at 138mhz with 0 errors. Ever so slightly better than the 70mhz 600,000 failures it was managing pre-reflow. I'm still wary of it (it could just be reseating it that's helped rather than reflowing), but it's a positive sign I've saved myself £50 for now.

That said, the electricity cost of running the hot air gun for 20 minutes is probably £342, so...

7 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

Well, reflowed and put memtest on - managed 11 hours at 138mhz with 0 errors. Ever so slightly better than the 70mhz 600,000 failures it was managing pre-reflow. I'm still wary of it (it could just be reseating it that's helped rather than reflowing), but it's a positive sign I've saved myself £50 for now.

That said, the electricity cost of running the hot air gun for 20 minutes is probably £342, so...

Should have waited until the winter, park yourself next to that hot air gun and felt the benefit. 

The one on the right is the power splitter for powering both the DE10 and USB hub. The one on the left I assume is for if you're using your own USB hub, although I don't know. I have one spare too. 

I agree, putting it together felt like I was doing real electronics even though it's more akin to building a PC which is, essentially, slotting things together and installing some software. The I/O board was the hardest bit, lining both sets of pins up and giving it a push, fearing everything was bending out of shape. Heart-in-mouth moment when turning it on, like when you turn a new PC on for the first time. Expected something to go wrong but seems to be okay so far, touch wood. 

Tested it initially with Frenzy on Colecovision, a rather good version actually, although the robots are really aggressive fright from the start. 

5 hours ago, Vimster said:

The one on the right is the power splitter for powering both the DE10 and USB hub. The one on the left I assume is for if you're using your own USB hub, although I don't know. I have one spare too. 

I agree, putting it together felt like I was doing real electronics even though it's more akin to building a PC which is, essentially, slotting things together and installing some software. The I/O board was the hardest bit, lining both sets of pins up and giving it a push, fearing everything was bending out of shape. Heart-in-mouth moment when turning it on, like when you turn a new PC on for the first time. Expected something to go wrong but seems to be okay so far, touch wood. 

Tested it initially with Frenzy on Colecovision, a rather good version actually, although the robots are really aggressive fright from the start. 

The digital io board can power the de-10 so there’s a cable to jumper the power from the de-10 to the usb board I think. 

So psu into io board. De-10 power jack single cable to usb hub power jack. Io board will power the de-10 and the de-10 will power the usb hub. 

On 17/08/2022 at 22:48, Colonel Panic said:

If you have a Mac, use scp to transfer files from your local computer to Mister

scp -r $HOME/Downloads/R-Types\ \(USA\), $HOME/Downloads/RayStorm\ \(USA\), $HOME/Downloads/WipEout\ 3\ -\ Special\ Edition\ \(Europe\)\ \(En,Fr,De,Es,It\) root@192.168.68.108:/media/fat/games/PSX/

scp -r source/folder/one, source/folder/two, source/folder/three root@192.168.68.108:/media/fat/games/console_folder_here/

192.168.68.108 is the IP of one of my Misters, replace as required.

Thanks. Coming back to this… Probably is something a bit out of my depth of knowledge, but I’ll ask.

This is using Terminal on the Mac? And the MiSTer has to be connected via Ethernet to the same router the Mac is using?

15 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Another question while I’m here… Presumably the second SD card slot on the IO board can be used to add games to the MiSTer without having to deal with the very fragile feeling SD card slot in the DE10 Nano?

You're best to buy a USB stick with as big amount of storage as possible and using it in a USB slot. 
You can have all your roms on there and the Mister will see it as just one big storage solution. 

This is not to be confused with the "switch to SD card/Switch to USB storage" option that's on the main Mister UI. 

I used FTP to move ROM's about and found it to be a bit of a pain to connect, so instead went with the USB storage option. this means that the OG SD card is never removed, and the much easier to access USB stick is. 

37 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Thanks. Coming back to this… Probably is something a bit out of my depth of knowledge, but I’ll ask.

This is using Terminal on the Mac? And the MiSTer has to be connected via Ethernet to the same router the Mac is using?

Yes to both questions. You could follow a guide for the file sharing method you mentioned above. It’s gonna work fine. 

i went for the massive sd card solution. once the roms are on there, update all does the rest.

if you need to put a smaller file on there, connecting via wifi and using winscp is annoying but does the trick

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Another question while I’m here… Presumably the second SD card slot on the IO board can be used to add games to the MiSTer without having to deal with the very fragile feeling SD card slot in the DE10 Nano?

No. There’s only a couple of cores that use the second slot (speccy next is one). By default the mister doesn’t look there. Just use the main sd card. Get a big one (I use a 64gb card) and put all the stuff on that you are likely to play. 

18 hours ago, shiffy said:

@Vimster - Just create a folder named "Walllpapers" in the root of the MiSTer SD card and just pop your wallpapers in there.

You can even have separate folders of backgrounds for different mister.ini configs (MiSTer_alt_1.ini / wallpapers_alt_1). Handy for people that switch to tate mode who want wallpaper to match, or if you want a special hidden smut profile.

3 hours ago, ulala said:

i went for the massive sd card solution. once the roms are on there, update all does the rest.

if you need to put a smaller file on there, connecting via wifi and using winscp is annoying but does the trick

I also recommend the huge SD card with all the EverDrive archives pre-loaded. Wireless FTP is used for very occasionally organising my 0_Favourites folders for quick access.

That way I never have to plug/unplug anything, almost ever. The only time I ever touch my MiSTer is when attaching different controllers, or tapping the reset button.

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

No. There’s only a couple of cores that use the second slot (speccy next is one). By default the mister doesn’t look there. Just use the main sd card. Get a big one (I use a 64gb card) and put all the stuff on that you are likely to play. 

speccy next works with 1 sd card for me

On 19/08/2022 at 11:50, Kevvy Metal said:

You're best to buy a USB stick with as big amount of storage as possible and using it in a USB slot. 
You can have all your roms on there and the Mister will see it as just one big storage solution. 

This is not to be confused with the "switch to SD card/Switch to USB storage" option that's on the main Mister UI. 

I used FTP to move ROM's about and found it to be a bit of a pain to connect, so instead went with the USB storage option. this means that the OG SD card is never removed, and the much easier to access USB stick is. 

On 19/08/2022 at 11:54, Colonel Panic said:

Feels like USB stick full of ROMs is the most no nonsense solution to me. 

Hmm, might actually do this option. Loaded up my SD card earlier, and messed up placing it back in the MiSTer’s card slot, requiring me to disassemble the bloody thing. :lol: I think I’ll leave the SD card alone and any further systems I add will be via a USB stick.

New beta core from Atrac17 - Truxton II / Tatsujin Oh. A manual install is require .... at least I think it is! I installed it manually without running the downloader on this occassion. Get the two components from the link & then run your updaters.

After the recent issues I've had with power to the USB board, after dismantling the DE10 and putting it back together everythng is now as it should be. No more USB board power dropouts! A misalignment on the USB bridge probably!

Yesterday was Day 3… Added the update_all and favorites scripts, had some more cores downloaded in the process and tried some fun arcade games, got a USB stick working for storing some ROMs, belatedly got scanlines added (not as nice as the Framemeister ones, admittedly). All mostly good.

Working out the Samba access from my Mac though, flummoxed. :wacko: Isn’t an essential thing though.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

belatedly got scanlines added (not as nice as the Framemeister ones, admittedly).

I've gone over this loads recently, with presets and screens. That should save you hours of dialing in.

What resolution is the screen you're using?

4 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Yesterday was Day 3… Added the update_all and favorites scripts, had some more cores downloaded in the process and tried some fun arcade games, got a USB stick working for storing some ROMs, belatedly got scanlines added (not as nice as the Framemeister ones, admittedly). All mostly good.

Working out the Samba access from my Mac though, flummoxed. :wacko: Isn’t an essential thing though.

first either run the samba_on script or manual rename the samba.sh file. 

Open finder, choose ‘go’ then ‘connect to server’ (I think) then type smb://mister 

you shouldn’t need a username and password but if you do the default is usid: root pass: 1