MiSTer: FPGA gaming

Dr_Dave

5 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

first either run the samba_on script or manual rename the samba.sh file. 

Open finder, choose ‘go’ then ‘connect to server’ (I think) then type smb://mister 

you shouldn’t need a username and password but if you do the default is usid: root pass: 1

Blimey! It works! Thanks.

Think I've mastered everything I aimed to for now, well, short of getting Amiga emulation running. (Which, honestly, I can live without!)

6 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Good luck with Amiga bobbins. I’ve tried and failed a few times. In the end I realised I don’t actually care that much for miggies, never having owned one when younger. 

You need to have the Amiga on there. Once I’m home tonight I’ll have a look at my setup to try and help you out.

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Blimey! It works! Thanks.

Think I've mastered everything I aimed to for now, well, short of getting Amiga emulation running. (Which, honestly, I can live without!)

Amiga emulation is super easy on MiSTer, and its one of the reasons for owning it.

you need to download MEGA AGS for MiSTer which is a virtual hard drive image full of all the games/ demos you need

Then

place the main image into the right place

put the config files that it comes with in the right place

load the core!

The config files set it up without you needing to mess about. It gives you a good spec'd amiga with lots of ram. And allows you to choose the games and load them with a joypad. Pressing Esc gets you back to workbench and there you have apps like Deluxe paint and music software pre-installed.

It has been the easiest Amiga emulation experience by far, and the best thing about the MiSTer for me.

It's as easy as copying and pasting 3 files, if i can do it, anyone can.

One of the SWAG amiga group meetings had a Mister fPGA set up and it was the best emulated method by far due to speed and accuracy. Is the sound also as decent?

6 hours ago, ulala said:

Amiga emulation is super easy on MiSTer, and its one of the reasons for owning it.

you need to download MEGA AGS for MiSTer which is a virtual hard drive image full of all the games/ demos you need

Then

load the core!

The config files set it up without you needing to mess about. It gives you a good spec'd amiga with lots of ram. And allows you to choose the games and load them with a joypad. Pressing Esc gets you back to workbench and there you have apps like Deluxe paint and music software pre-installed.

It has been the easiest Amiga emulation experience by far, and the best thing about the MiSTer for me.

And the great thing about the Amiga (and ST) cores is you can have multiple profiles so if you want a 1200 with WB3.1 to mess with you can have it. But Mega AGS is all you need if you want to play the vast majority of games.

Okay another question: I have one of these 9-pin joystick adapters to use on 8-bit computer cores, how do they work? I have it plugged into the I/O board, at least I am led to believe that's where SNAC adapters go. Using a trusty Zipstick on the C64 core I get nothing. Is there a setting somewhere?

MiSTer-SNAC-Adapters-Atari.thumb.jpg.2d7d566b5ef3798e92343841d7a26271.jpg

10 hours ago, ulala said:

Then

load the core!

My word, you’re right… First time I’ve ever gotten stable Amiga emulation on anything I’ve ever tried. :blink: This is immense.

Genuinely shocked now.

IMO the computer cores are where mister really stands out. For the most part they are exactly like firing up and using the original computers. The Amiga core with Mega AGS just seems so much better than every emulator I’ve tried before. 

(obv the arcade and consoles are also awesome!)

Does anyone know what the new video_off timeout setting is supposed to do? Other than it being apparently being "useful for OLEDs" as per the change log I can't find anything about it (although I am using my phone to browse so could have missed something). I'm hoping it might be something that stops the screen blanking one or more times when loading up some cores. 

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I think I’m in the “this is actually as good as the online hype suggested, and I regret it buying one years ago” camp now.

the Amiga trainers to games also work well, as does pressing F10 to get back to the game selection 

my brain tells me you can use the cd32 pad setting, that gives you a jump button instead of using up all the time too

Had mine going for about a week now, and after the initially tweaking and transferring it has settled down to be a fantastic bit of kit and well worth the outlay. The UI is simple and clean, lots of cores have plenty of options that don't deviate the hardware simulation too far from the original, it works well with a variety of hardware. It's just nice to have on the telly and fire up for an evening of gaming. Last night I spent an hour or so playing Circuit Breakers on PS1. The system is really well supported and right now it can only get better. 

It's not going to be for everyone, and as has been said you could get something superficially similar in the shape of a Pi4 or a Nvidia Shield doing some emulation. 

Not sure of how this will pan out in the long run. It seems to do all the systems I want it to brilliantly. Maybe something that handles Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64 and PS2 will emerge in the a few years but that's a different story. I don't think it'll make the MiSTer obsolete except if people want an all-in-one solution. 

For now though this is deserving of the hype. Few things are these days. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

EEC1C32A-D054-42C5-9781-8FFA2F528595.thumb.jpeg.ff684280ee1607dfc8972fdf89a191f1.jpeg

What was I doing when I heard of the Queen’s death? Playing Pang on my MiSTer, of course! It’s what she would’ve wanted.

You can eliminate that horizontal banding caused by the scan lines.

Are you running it at 1080p? It wants to be 720 ideally, then turn integer scaling on.

11 hours ago, dataDave said:

You can eliminate that horizontal banding caused by the scan lines.

Are you running it at 1080p? It wants to be 720 ideally, then turn integer scaling on.

It’s 720, as far as I can tell from the TV. No idea how to activate integer scaling, TBH, and it took me a while to even work out how to add scanlines! It has that terrible banding across the screen whatever core I use which I would like to get rid of, really.

19 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

It’s 720, as far as I can tell from the TV. No idea how to activate integer scaling, TBH, and it took me a while to even work out how to add scanlines! It has that terrible banding across the screen whatever core I use which I would like to get rid of, really.

When in game, press the Xbox home button (if using an Xbox controller) this will give you options to remove scan lines add integer scaling etc.

Also, if you want to check the resolution go to the scripts folders and select the settings ini, this will then load up and you can change many options from there - all done via controller. 

38 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

It’s really easy. Don’t worry about it. I’m glad you’ve spotted that it’s a problem and it’s not just me going “well, actually…” like I always do. 😅

Like Nige says, if you go to your core menu and then video settings it should be in there. There’s also the vscale_mode .ini setting to ensure it happens across all cores...

MiSTer.ini:

video_mode=0 (720p)

vscale_mode=1 (Integer scale)

vsync_adjust=2 (HDMI v-sync refresh rate for lowest/zero latency)

I’m super busy today, so sorry I can’t be more concise. If you have the time I posted some presets and even an .ini config (for mass override) a few pages back (here). Those will also introduce you to Atrac17's integer modeline presets (important) and the RetroTink slot mask, which can produce results like this:

IMG-2235-1.jpg

15 minutes ago, bignige said:

When in game, press the Xbox home button (if using an Xbox controller) this will give you options to remove scan lines add integer scaling etc.

Also, if you want to check the resolution go to the scripts folders and select the settings ini, this will then load up and you can change many options from there - all done via controller. 

You got everything sorted in the end, Nige? Nice one!

16 minutes ago, dataDave said:

It’s really easy. Don’t worry about it. I’m glad you’ve spotted that it’s a problem and it’s not just me going “well, actually…” like I always do. 😅

Like Nige says, if you go to your core menu and then video settings it should be in there. There’s also the vscale_mode .ini setting to ensure it happens across all cores...

MiSTer.ini:

video_mode=0 (720p)

vscale_mode=1 (Integer scale)

vsync_adjust=2 (HDMI v-sync refresh rate for lowest/zero latency)

I’m super busy today, so sorry I can’t be more concise. If you have the time I posted some presets and even an .ini config (for mass override) a few pages back (here). Those will also introduce you to Atrac17's integer modeline presets (important) and the RetroTink slot mask, which can produce results like this:

IMG-2235-1.jpg

You got everything sorted in the end, Nige? Nice one!

Mostly!

All works great on the BVM as long as the Extron is connected (rolling pic otherwise). 

The DE10 Nano is still temperamental on start up, but as Digikey ended up giving it to me for free I can live with it. 

Quick question with regards to you mentioning Retrotink slot mask. Do you need a Retrotink for this? Which one do you have? 
Id like to hook it up to an LCD panel for when it’s not convenient to play on BVM. 

Finally, when are we going to see you on Halo Infinite??